$5,000 Fine and 6 Months In Jail - National Park Violations

Re: $5,000 Fine and 6 Months In Jail - National Park Violati

They are taking this pretty seriously.

God knows - I love our National Parks in the US. And with all that open space, it is perfect for aerial photography of some of the prettiest real estate on the planet earth. But I understand why they are being careful. I think the draconian measures are meant as a serious deterrent. They are telling everyone, "we're not messing around. We're serious."

I love flying my UAVs. But I also don't want to get clobbered by one or have one flying around my head at Half Dome or Vernal Falls when I least expect it.

It's tough trying to make rules for mostly sane and the few not-as-sane (respectful) people.

There has been a lot of debate over the last 10 years about snow mobiles in Yellowstone in the winter. I think they are much more intrusive than a drone flown responsibly and with consideration of others and their enjoyment.

WyattEarp said:
There has been a lot of debate over the last 10 years about snow mobiles in Yellowstone in the winter. I think they are much more intrusive than a drone flown responsibly and with consideration of others and their enjoyment.

WAY more intrusive. Lets get that congressman more involved in our fight ;P

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/congress ... ne-wedding

This is a joke. They don't protect our f'ing borders. You think seriously think this is real? Lol.

Thanks very much, Theodorus Van Vliet of the Netherlands, for giving quadcopters a bad reputation in the eyes of the NPS and the the other US government agencies that oversee our public lands. Because of morons like you, we face likely overreaching and overbearing draconian laws and rules in the future. And you get to go back home to the Netherlands, where the laws and policies your inconsiderate behavior helped to create in the US, will not affect you.

Grrr. GRRRR!!

I think that in a time when most parks are facing cash flow problems they are missing a golden opportunity. They could charge $50-$100 for a daily pass to allow a limited number of pilots to fly their aircraft in designated areas. They could even restrict it to aircraft under 5 pounds and restrict the giant octocopters. It seems like a great opportunity to make some money and get some free PR when people post the videos to YouTube and Vimeo.

Koz said:
I think that in a time when most parks are facing cash flow problems they are missing a golden opportunity. They could charge $50-$100 for a daily pass to allow a limited number of pilots to fly their aircraft in designated areas. They could even restrict it to aircraft under 5 pounds and restrict the giant octocopters. It seems like a great opportunity to make some money and get some free PR when people post the videos to YouTube and Vimeo.

Problem is - they don't think like that. Our "elected officials" (losely coined) in recent history have taken a defensive stance to EVERYTHING. They are not forward thinking or listen to forward thinking. (most of them) The above fine & jail term is a knee jerk reaction to boneheads flying irresponsibly. For most responsible pilots - the fine & term are extreme but it sounds like the park service is tired of waiting on it's sister (FAA) to establish rules and is taking control of a growing problem. The Grand Canyon has been a "no fly zone" for over a year because of "A@$-hats" buzzing eagles and other animals. The list continues to grow.

Charging a bit extra for a permit might not be a bad idea,, However I could see where crashing a quad into the pools at Yellowstone could be of a great concern,, After all it is a giant volcano.. Never know what might set it off.

Charging extra would sure weed out the idiots ( hopefully ) so less incidents to worry about.

djl

bmr528 said:
Charging a bit extra for a permit might not be a bad idea,, However I could see where crashing a quad into the pools at Yellowstone could be of a great concern,, After all it is a giant volcano.. Never know what might set it off.

Charging extra would sure weed out the idiots ( hopefully ) so less incidents to worry about.

djl

Some of the biggest idiots on planet earth are rich folks.

Question: can you really go to jail for breaking a law that doesn't exist??

I agree and fully understand the National Parks position as I would not enjoy drones and helis buzzing all around when I am enjoying the areas. HOWEVER, KOZ is absolutely on the right track and I am going to ask a senator friend to talk to the NPS Director Mr. Jarvis "if they will" (this was a NPS rule and not passed through congress and to legally fine someone $5000 and place a jail sentence on a federal crime, the crime needs to be defined and punishment approved by congress, otherwise we would have speeding in a National Park as a $10000 dollar fine). Oh also I cannot find the violation or crime on the National Register.

I do not believe that it should be a few per day and permitted, but should be a few limited days during the year and yes, a limit of drones allowed with a under 5 pound limit, (who needs a 8 bladed Super drone falling on their head, and who whats to hear it for miles). The NPS could make some real good money with this and not have drones, copters be intrusive. Some areas will need restrictions although crashing one into a pond in Yellowstone I doubt it will set off a volcano, but the drone will need to be retrieved as the battery is toxic and that would need to be looked at.

Overall I hope that we, responsible flyers and Photographers can fly eventually in the NPS areas and come to some agreement. Oh and my Senator Friend, well he just got his Vision 2+ and loves it.

found out something in the last few min, they are using a law on the books, "Disturbing or Destruction of National Park Resources", Thank you Ranger Joe, I put a call into a good NPS Ranger friend and it was explained, also the Ranger does not think the Ban is going to hold up in court if someone gets a good lawyer, as long as you don't crash, but who has the money to challenge the NPS unless your Arrested.

I know we have to have laws to keep people in check but I think the government has his priorities wrong .It would be nice to see the government close the borders and fight terrorism and try to help protect it citizens like it was intended. I don't think that guy at the park flying his Phantom or that farmer flying his quad over his crops or that person trying to sell his property using a drone or any law abiding citizen who takes up this cool hobby should be dubed a criminal for just doing something that makes the government feel threatened. I know that there are boneheads out there that do stupid things to get that really cool picture or maybe he just didn't know the rules that are already in place that are supposed to help protect person and property but you will never ever be able to invent a law that weeds out boneheaded people without denying the law abiding citizen the freedom to enjoy his passion flying the drone of his or her choice. I think the rc community needs to stand together and fight this attack on our freedom and also step up its effort to educate members of this hobby on the do's and dont's of flying drones . IT'S UP TO US TO SAVE OUR HOBBY!!

bigjay51 said:
...you will never ever be able to invent a law that weeds out boneheaded people without denying the law abiding citizen...

There are more bonehead drivers on the road at any given minute than there are bonehead UAV pilots in total.

As I said, open the parks on a limited basis, charge a fee, and set up no fly zones within the parks.

Well with the political climate the way it is and all of the issues he has to deal with, my friend said that the NPS rule is a bit on the edge of his priorities and I can see this. But he does have it on a "to do list" and thinks permits and delegated days during the year is a great idea. Well we will see

photographix said:
Thanks very much, Theodorus Van Vliet of the Netherlands, for giving quadcopters a bad reputation in the eyes of the NPS and the the other US government agencies that oversee our public lands. Because of morons like you, we face likely overreaching and overbearing draconian laws and rules in the future. And you get to go back home to the Netherlands, where the laws and policies your inconsiderate behavior helped to create in the US, will not affect you.

Grrr. GRRRR!!

Amen to that

Am I wrong in my belief that there is no obligation to pay this fine and no way you would serve a day in jail, given that this has not been passed by the legislative branch?

They are using an existing law that they can prosecute anyone who endangers others or federal property

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4