4th time NOT a CHARM - P2V Camera issues still

Reaction score
So back on Black Friday I bought the P2V - I was like everyone excited. I was not when I noticed the photos had an issue with focus on the left side. So knowing how great B&H Photo's customer services is I was not worried. I let them know the issue, sent it back and got the replacement. That one came and wash rinse repeat, aka same issue. Back it went new one in again same. I this time included in the package a plea to have them review the camera before sending me the 4th unit.

Today I was excited to have decent weather and no wind. Headed out to a spot I have been eyeing and a construction site in town. Took shots in RAW (did not realize camera had old firmware so RAW file useless). Got home and this time the JPGs are the worst of the units I have had. This time sadly the only in focus area is the center :oops: :oops: :oops:

Here are the pictures of this unit. https://www.flickr.com/photos/63097412@ ... 573278153/

Really would like to keep the Vision but about ready to cave in and get the 2 with gimbal and by a Gopro. Just wish I would not have to lose the FPV and other features.

They don't look that bad to me, perhaps you need to compare some unprocessed images from other P2Vs and see if they look any better?

I completely realize it is not a DSLR but after seeing so many other photos with the Vision there is no reason I should not expect a "decent" picture for $1200.

If I had known I would end up with a camera worse than the others I would have kept the last one and learned to live with having to crop the pictures.

I would have to essentially crop 2/3rds of every picture with this unit.

Trouble is you have entered a spiral of discontent with your Vision camera which will be impossible to pull out of. Thats one hell of a supplier to issue so many exchanges, so a great advert for B&H Photo.

Time to cut your losses and switch to a P2. Just make sure you don't end up with a Gopro with a focus issue otherwise your back to square one.

To me, both the photos seem to be in focus. You just have the typical 'earth curvature' you get with the Vision camera. Short of me investing big bucks in a better camera, I just enjoy the pics my Vision takes. I'm no professional, so I just overlook this 'problem'. :cry:

I don't think a couple of shots taken while flying can determine whether or not the camera is "bad". To me it would make sense to shoot from a stable base (ie on the ground) and see what the shots look like. For the same reason it's a good idea to shoot in burst or intervelometer modes to account for any movement caused by wind, imbalanced props, user etc.

I have to agree with the others. Your photos are typical of this camera and will be better or worse depending on movement or lighting. If you really need something better you need a platform what holds a better camera and I don't mean a gopro.

I have to agree with the others the pictures look fine to me. My own camera is away for replacement given I had the dreaded purple splodge on every 14Mp still image. When I bought P2V I understood it is not going to give true professional quality pictures. But I think it does an admirable job for the cost, functionality and flexibility.

If you are dissatisfied go to a more professional platform.

While I agree that I should not be expecting DSLR quality and I am not and never have. I admit I am picky about my pixels but I am not sure how you could call these photos "acceptable" the focus is way off outside of the circle I have drawn. If it simply was on edge, I would agree and finally suck it up for what it is. Needless to say B&H has again issued me an RMA to return the unit.

Let's not forget this camera was advertised as "extremely high quality".

Attachments

• DJI ad1.JPG
    DJI ad1.JPG
    46.1 KB · Views: 345
MikeON said:
Let's not forget this camera was advertised as "extremely high quality".

It is !!! After you shell out a few bucks to "RageCam" to get rid of the fisheye, add the filter holder to allow for different light conditions and add a 2D gimbal to smooth things out... How much extra is that? Hmmm... I think we're getting close to $1,000, no? :shock: :shock: :shock:

Oh... almost forgot. You'll probably want to add a nice flat black sticky circle to kill the glare from the shiny front bezel on the camera...

-slinger

Patb01027 said:
While I agree that I should not be expecting DSLR quality and I am not and never have. I admit I am picky about my pixels but I am not sure how you could call these photos "acceptable" the focus is way off outside of the circle I have drawn. If it simply was on edge, I would agree and finally suck it up for what it is. Needless to say B&H has again issued me an RMA to return the unit.

I agree, and don't think there should be any excuse for this poor quality. I have left side softness and must crop 1/4 to 1/5 of image stills. Look at this image of iPhone 5s breakdown:

http://d3nevzfk7ii3be.cloudfront.net/ig ... BONctfHdJV

Now see the size of entire camera module. It is multiple times smaller than module in pv. Camera module cost for iphone is estimated at $13 and that includes lower resolution front camera. http://technology.ihs.com/451425/ground ... wn-reveals

I home someone makes a small, light add on with 2d gimbal based on cell phone camera module. Think how small, light and cheap that could be.

Was able to sneak out at lunch and fly for a few minutes. I have not updated the firmware on the unit (other than the camera).

It is a little breezy today and I was in a hurry so skipped the compass dance. I will do it before next flight as this one while breezy for sure it seemed to drift more than any of the others I had.

Pictures: Shot in RAW converted with Lightroom5 (tweaked and sharpened only) they look much better than the last 4. I still see the left edge blurring but I am over it. It is not a DSLR I get it. :roll: :roll: These two shots as I said were quick and dirty as far as processing and flying. I did not get far off the ground as I did not do the compass calibration and was worried it would take off.

Brick building looks decent across most of the frame.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63097412@N00/13564065044/in/photostream/

bad sun angle up higher would have been better.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/63097412@N00/13563771133/in/photostream/

My complaining is over for the moment until I can run a few more poictures and get some video. Now need the Rotorpixel gimbal to get here - or now that I am ok with the camera the DJI next model will come out and I will be more annoyed I don't have that one.

I've added the RC 5.4 flat lens to mine and it didn't change the quality at all. My corners are still soft. But I'm ok with it, I just wanted to get rid of the fish eye. I only expect cellphone quality pics from the P2V, which are still pretty good.

Phantom 2 Vision, Ragecams 5.4 flat lens, Rotorpixel gimbal (on order #384)

I got lucky on my 3rd one. The second was unusable. You have to zoom into 100% actual size to appreciate. I have to say the variability in these cameras is astounding and I've seen some poor camera examples on here but didn't want to point it out to burst anyone's bubble

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers