4s Lipo batteries?

Reaction score
I am curious if anyone has used any 4s lipos with the stock Phantom esc's. I have taken all the parts from my Phantom and put them in the F450 frame including the esc's and motors. I am also using the Naza mc with a new gps module. It flies great. The auw is 1717grams with dual 2700mah batteries. I am getting around 10 minute with dual 2700 3s batteries and about 8 with dual stock batteries. I am looking for more flight time. I am using 10x4.5 plastic props. I am trying to get more time without getting bigger motors and esc's. I am worried that the 14.8 volts from the 4s lipos will burn up my esc's. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you

Pat

Stock Phantom esc can NOT handle 4S ( http://www.helifreak.com/showthread.php?t=577027 )
If you have many 3S packs, you may be better off with lower KV motor with the same esc and props or even bigger for longer flight time you're looking for.
The idea of longer flight time is to use LESS juice and in your case the lower KV motors with bigger prop (bigger diameter but LESS pitch) will consume less power from the battery. Note that the flying character may change from nimble to somewhat sluggish.
I feel that the 10x4.5 prop is too BIG for the stock motor. Have you tried the 9x4.5 prop?
If you have volt meter, then hook it up and read the amp and find the combination for least amp drawn. And combination I mean change the prop is the easiest way to go.

There are a few people who have done just this. The more brave had done so without modification, and some successfully just plug in a 4S battery and go flying. I wouldn't risk this, personally. The more reasoned have swapped out to a higher-rated capacitor on the ESCs to handle 4S power. Supposedly the motors and props are very efficient on 4S (but that's all beyond me, I'm more of a huge-3S kind of guy :) ).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik