4K won't play on TV

Reaction score
A friend of mine showed me some video that was taken of his place by a drone. Not sure which one.

He wanted some more video so he and I went out to video his old farm with my Phantom 3 Professional and took about an hour of 4K video. I copied the video to a thumb drive and he tells me that it will not play on his Sony flat screen TV.

Can anyone tell me why this video isn't viewable on his TV?

Thanks for any help with this.

Bud

There are a number of flavors of 4K video and TVs are famous for having issues with them. First of all, if it isn't a 4K TV (most aren't), it won't play at all. "Smart" TVs usually aren't smart enough to convert the files into something they can use.

There could possibly be some settings on the TV that could be changed. RTFM.

If that doesn't work, your next step is to convert the 4K into something that the TV can read.

Was it 4K DCI 4096 x 2160 or 4K UHD-1, UHDTV, 2160p 3840 x 2160? What TV?

Thank you very much. Could you tell me how to convert it to 1080?

Thank you kindly

Bud
PC or Mac?

What do you use now to edit your video?

The GoPro Studio App is an OK place to start. Free, both Mac and PC versions. Does basic editing like deleting all the boring sequences. There are easier options like Fremake that just convert.

But you really do want to edit things. Just deleting the seemingly endless Flying In A Straight Line sequences that infest YouTube videos can go a long way to making viewing more comfortable.

/end rant

Or, perhaps your friend needs a new TV....

It seems watching 4k video on a 4k tv can be more difficult than it should be. My Samsung will play 4k right off the sd card, provided you use the 3.0 usb port, a 3.0 card reader, and a fast sd card. If you use an extension cord (as most large tvs are hard to reach the ports when wall mounted) the cord also needs to be 3.0. Be prepared to try different things. If all else fails you'll have to convert it.

Check the file formats and size of the files accepted by that TV.

I have LG 4K TV and have no issues though normally I stream movies to TV through my Mac.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Your insignificant level of intelligence bewilders me. You can actually type.

Furthermore, why do you bother coming on to these forums? I was trying to help someone and all you can do is offer some ridiculously immature comment. It appears that your IQ is about the same as your boot size.

It's no wonder people hate asking for help on these forums. Smart a$$'s like you just drive them away by the dozen.

Please...... in future don't bother answering any of my posts. I'm not interested in hearing your thoughtless drivel and insensitive comments.

Is his telly switched on

You may have better luck if this post was placed in a different forum here. Something like general, or photo and video?
Your issue isn't with the P3 so putting it here will limit your audience.

Anyway's more information is required to resolve the issue
Is it a 4K TV? What is the max. Resolution of the TV? Which codecs does the TV support? How is he trying to play the video? ie USB stick, streamed from a computer, media device.....
Once that info is gathered and shared with us, then a practical solution can be worked on.
Even if you convert to 1080P the stream may not play if the TV doesn't support the codec used in the conversion.

Sorry but there is no good answer without all the information.

You're absolutely right, and I apologize for my oversight.

I do however think I "fixed" the issue as I just took some vide in the yard at 1080P which worked just fine on the Samsung 1080P Television.

Tomorrow I'll try it on his own TV which is a Sony. He uses a USB Stick and his TV supports up to 1080p

Thanks for your kind reply, and I'll try to remember where things might best be suited in future.

Bud

You may have better luck if this post was placed in a different forum here. Something like general, or photo and video?
Your issue isn't with the P3 so putting it here will limit your audience.

Anyway's more information is required to resolve the issue
Is it a 4K TV? What is the max. Resolution of the TV? Which codecs does the TV support? How is he trying to play the video? ie USB stick, streamed from a computer, media device.....
Once that info is gathered and shared with us, then a practical solution can be worked on.
Even if you convert to 1080P the stream may not play if the TV doesn't support the codec used in the conversion.

Sorry but there is no good answer without all the information.

You're absolutely right, and I apologize for my oversight.

I do however think I "fixed" the issue as I just took some vide in the yard at 1080P which worked just fine on the Samsung 1080P Television.

Tomorrow I'll try it on his own TV which is a Sony. He uses a USB Stick and his TV supports up to 1080p

Thanks for your kind reply, and I'll try to remember where things might best be suited in future.

Bud
Glad to here your making progress!
If you have any more questions please don't hesitate to update the thread :)

Reactions: Matchlock
Your insignificant level of intelligence bewilders me. You can actually type.

Furthermore, why do you bother coming on to these forums? I was trying to help someone and all you can do is offer some ridiculously immature comment. It appears that your IQ is about the same as your boot size.

It's no wonder people hate asking for help on these forums. Smart a$$'s like you just drive them away by the dozen.

Please...... in future don't bother answering any of my posts. I'm not interested in hearing your thoughtless drivel and insensitive comments.

Yikes it was a joke

sense of humour failure

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik