4k vs advanced edition?

Reaction score
Hi all. I'm looking to get either the newly released 4k model or the advanced.

From what I can tell its a trade off between 4k vs light bridge. I don't have a 4k monitor at the moment, but would be nice to be futureproof - or is light bridge worth sacrificing 4k for?

Cheers all

I bit the bullet and bought the advanced this evening. I originally got the standard and the 500m gets restricting very quickly. The 4k will share with this problem I believe. There are many people with a lot more knowledge than me I'm sure who will pitch in.

My second reason was how often will I shoot in 4k? My gopro and dslr camera both shoot a maximum of 1080 and if you want to combine footage from the three to create a short clip you'd have to compress that beautiful 4k footage. That resolved my dilemma for me. The huge bonus of distance and the VPS with the advanced I think will make it worth it.

Good luck with your decision. :)

/Iain

I have the Professional for the opportunity to shoot in 4k but I seldom do. Personally I'd take the Advance over the Standard for the range and stability of Lightbridge. The Standard line has it's place but I think the 4k is less of a deal as compared to the Advance. That is, the money saved for the Standard with 2.7k might be worth it over the Advanced but it's less of a difference when compared to the Standard 4k.

Cheers guys. So the extra range that lightbridge allows, is that just for video transmission? Or can you actually fly it further away?

Anyone know when the current sale will end at all?

This was released for the mass market big box stores.
Basically 2.4 VS 5.8.
Lots of interference in the 5.8 band.

I would dare say there's less congestion on the 5.8GHz band when compared with the 2.4GHz band given how many devices run on the latter and that the performance difference between the two in terms of reachability is more to do with the physicality of the radio waves. By nature higher frequencies travel poorly compared to lower frequencies but are able to carry more data due in part to the shorter wavelength.

Cheers guys. So the extra range that lightbridge allows, is that just for video transmission? Or can you actually fly it further away?

It's for both. Most people have no problem flying 1.5 miles with full control and full video feed. The Standard will go around 1/2 mile at best.

what shall i go for then guys? The new 4k or the advanced - same price at the moment :)

Personally I'd still pick the P3A versus the P34k. Your effective range is 1.2km on 4k the versus 5k on the P3A if you're a fan of the longer flights.

According to the spec page the 4K is missing GLONASS mode for positioning, all other specs (camera excluded) seem identical.

I don't see the need for 4k video unless you're storing RAW footage and watching that. Linus seems to agree with me from a technical perspective:

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I just purchased the advanced about two weeks ago. No previous flight experience of any kind. The advanced is flawless, in control, stability, and even predictable. I took my third flight in 20 to 25 mph gusts today, although a little scary, it performed well. Just don't fly too close to anything.

what shall i go for then guys? The new 4k or the advanced
If I could only pick one, I'd rather have Lightbridge over 4K video. The Advanced can also connect to GLONASS
satellites. It's pretty important to ensure you have a good GPS connection at all times.

One other difference, and a big one is that the new 4K only has 480p live view while all other P3s get 720p.

Ew... Sounds like a downgrade to me if anything. Can't imagine it will be selling too well compared to the others assuming anyone bothers stopping to compare before purchase.

If you REALLY want 4k, better to spend the extra and make the jump to the Professional and keep all the other benefits in my opinoin.

I bought the professional for a couple of reasons, light bridge and the 4k. We actually film in 6k on the RED Dragon, and 4k on Sony A7R II, and Sony A7S. More and more clients want 4k for future proofing and also for post production as it allows a little room for cropping etc, and i didnt feel that the cost was huge between advanced and Pro. Having said that this is our first drone and once we complete the CAA PFAW we will probably look at something to fly our RED on, and use this in conjunction with A7R shoots.

Andrew

Reactions: jfnz

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic