4K video codec H.264 question?

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the Phantom 3 Pro 4k is going to upgrade their video codec from H.264 to the new H.265 high compression codec used by Roku and other 4K UHD streaming devices. Right now the .mp4 4K files will not play on Vizeo M series Televisions because they need the H.265 to play back. This is a serious matter as manufacturers are leaning tward the H.265 compression because it cuts file size by about 75% and has better streaming.

Can't you use the post production video editing program to create the video in H.265? Cyberlink Powerdirector allows for this. I'm possibly not understanding your question.

Reactions: dant
Can't you use the post production video editing program to create the video in H.265? Cyberlink Powerdirector allows for this. I'm possibly not understanding your question.
Yes you can convert the files, but that takes a lot of time. It would be nice to be able to just plug and play without having to do a file conversion to review the 4K file play back. I do use PowerDirector and it does a wonderful job.

I bought a Sony 4K TV and I watch the 4K videos through the USB plug using a flash drive. I was impressed all over again when I finally got to see the real 4K quality

I have a samsung js9500 4k TV. I was able to play a 4k .mov file off USB drive plugged into the tv.
Cant seem to play 2.7k mp4 files from my old P3A though..

Reactions: Chasbro and dant
I would assume H264 encoding is done in hardware at the camera, so I don't expect a firmware change is possible to achieve H265. You'll need to wait for phantom 4 or 5.

Thank s for all the feedback. I should have done my homework before I bought the Vizio M60, Now I will have an excuse to get the Phantom 4....

Thank s for all the feedback. I should have done my homework before I bought the Vizio M60, Now I will have an excuse to get the Phantom 4....
By that time the video will increase to H.266 or whatever:D:D I don't think DJI will be able to keep up with some of the TV and video enhancements. :)

Does anyone know if the Phantom 3 Pro 4k is going to upgrade their video codec from H.264 to the new H.265 high compression codec used by Roku and other 4K UHD streaming devices. Right now the .mp4 4K files will not play on Vizeo M series Televisions because they need the H.265 to play back. This is a serious matter as manufacturers are leaning tward the H.265 compression because it cuts file size by about 75% and has better streaming.
I have programmed an encoder for all DJI video resolutions as well as the Yuneec Q500 Quad. It also encodes your footage to the new .h265. Available here Q500+ Video Encoder - Yuneec Q500+ Mods

Noone should want a change in compression! All it is doing is loosing MORE quality! The more compression, the more lost data. The more lost data, them false data is re-added on display. So the end result would be terrible! You are far better off with NO compression!

Noone should want a change in compression! All it is doing is loosing MORE quality! The more compression, the more lost data. The more lost data, them false data is re-added on display. So the end result would be terrible! You are far better off with NO compression!
can you edit video's together to produce captivating footage without re-compressing? Can you color correct without re compressing? Can you produce a final video to distribute/upload to Youtube/Vimeo without re compressing? What color depth are your videos? did you know that color profiles vary? My encoder includes the full color depth profile Being 0-255 9/10's of all encoders encode at a lower color depth 16-235 This means your blacks are not black, and your whites are darker... that's why you see so many videos that look muddy and washed out.
color.gif

If you've never seen the difference, you have no clue the vibrancy and quality you loose with a lower color depth...

Reactions: phantom13flyer
Sadly, h.265 is not a ubiquitous codec as of yet. It will get there. However, converting h.264 to h.265 buys you nothing in terms of quality (quality will suffer every time you re-encode). Only better compression.

Reactions: III% Streve
If a person re-encodes, then re-encodes, then re-encodes, you loose quality.. If you edit a production, save it out with a lossless codec, then encode it in .x264 or .x265 for your final with the correct parameters you get the level of quality you've set in the encoder being .x264 or .x265 of course we understand that a 20 gig file encoded down to 80 megs will suffer some degradation. The reality is that the quality vs file size is what we're after and if you can squeeze as much quality into a file size that's small as possible you've achieved you're goal.

Reactions: phantom13flyer
I edit my P3P footage in Final Cut Pro X. I dump it out as an h.264 MP4 for youtube.

I then take that same exported file and run it through Handbreak to get a h.265 version. That version plays on my Vizio via a flash drive.

Since YouTube crushes the 264 file you upload, the 265 version (even though it's technically decompressed) is the highest quality 4K drone footage I can get on my tv.

It's not practical for me wire my computer to my tv.

It's worth noting that the nature of h.265 is that it's extremely mathematically intensive- which is why it requires hardware support. You can encode/decode it without hardware support of you have beefy enough hardware.

My 4 minute 264 file took 30 to re-encode as 265 on a brand new, loaded iMac.

DJI is dependant on Ambarella FPGA firmware for enc H.265 .. They can do that. Keep an eye on GoPro, if happen there it can happen also on P3P. Anyway may be Ambarella will push the new chip (S3 series) for that, so we are ******. That's for P4 or a new camera.
Just for info, H265 can lead to a good full-hd live video on P3P in the actual tx/rx bandwidth ... But I don't know at the moment if Spartan FPGA in the RC can afford to decode it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers