4k TV won't play 2k7 footage

Reaction score
Hi guys.
I'm new to the drone scene and have recently bought myself a P3A.
After a few flights and being really impressed I realised I was only shooting footage in 1080 and not 2k7.
I obviously changed the setting and tried again only to realise that none of my equipment (tv/computer) were good enough to play the footage adequately.
I liked being able to play the footage on my TV but my Samsung tv not being a 4k TV would only play the 1080 @ 25fps. At 50fps it showed an error, and the 2k7 was obviously never going to happen.
I had already been considering updating the TV to new 4k samsung series 9, and if it played the 2k7 footage would help justify the upgrade.
I took a memory card to my local TV store to check the new tv would play the footage before parting with my £££s.
Dissapointingly I could not get the Samsung to play the higher resolution footage.
We thought it might be because my footage was in mov format but I went back with an mp4 file and that wouldn't work either.
I can't undertand why a 4k TV can't play the 2k7 footage.
Does anybody have any idea.

The only thing 2.7k footage is good for is to crop it in post down to 1080p and then you have essentially zoomed the footage in a bit.

Reactions: liketogethigh
Hi guys.
I'm new to the drone scene and have recently bought myself a P3A.
After a few flights and being really impressed I realised I was only shooting footage in 1080 and not 2k7.
I obviously changed the setting and tried again only to realise that none of my equipment (tv/computer) were good enough to play the footage adequately.
I liked being able to play the footage on my TV but my Samsung tv not being a 4k TV would only play the 1080 @ 25fps. At 50fps it showed an error, and the 2k7 was obviously never going to happen.
I had already been considering updating the TV to new 4k samsung series 9, and if it played the 2k7 footage would help justify the upgrade.
I took a memory card to my local TV store to check the new tv would play the footage before parting with my £££s.
Dissapointingly I could not get the Samsung to play the higher resolution footage.
We thought it might be because my footage was in mov format but I went back with an mp4 file and that wouldn't work either.
I can't undertand why a 4k TV can't play the 2k7 footage.
Does anybody have any idea.
What happen if you play it to the TV from a laptop/PC?
With my Panasonic I couldn't get it to work from the SD card in a card reader via the USB slots, but if I transferred the file to a faster USB3 thumb drive it worked.
Then I got a USB3 card reader and that works too.
The TV does have a USB3 (blue) input though.

Reactions: christoph
You you can only post edit 2.7k and then all you will ever get regardless of how you stream or show you can only have 1080p as that's what all software edits in. As it stands 4K is nothing more than a gimmick sadly. It's a nice tv but no programmes are filmed or shown in this format no computer can as yet do it either. I'd be happy to stick with filming in 2.7k as you get lovely footage and can zoom in without loss of pixels. Hope this helps and saves you wasting your money on something you don't need.

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Absolutely wrong info. There are many shows in 4k. Amazon and Netflix have many shows and movies in 4K which my Samsung 4K TV plays just fine. Also my HP laptop with the I7 processor does 4K all the time .

I have tried playback from a usb3 memory stick without success. I haven't tried playing it from my laptop to the tv in the higher resolution yet. I will try that, but i would prefer to run it from the USB drive.
I will stick with recording in 1080 for now, I was happy with the quality before I realised it wasn't the highest setting.
I haven't got as far as editing any footage yet, It's not something I have had to do before.
Previously i was more into the flying than the photography/video side of the hobby so i have a lot to learn in that aspect.
My laptop is a HP with an i7 processor but it struggles with the 2k7 footage even though it has had a good clean up to speed it up.

You could rather look at a 4K monitor for your PC imo. At least then you can edit it properly. I've got the Acer S277HK, and while it's more expensive than a lot of 4K TV's, at least I can comfortably edit and watch my footage on my computer.. Which I couldn't do on my TV very comfortably. Of course you have to have a powerful enough PC to be able to handle the 4K video..

With regards to your i7 laptop, it should be able to handle it? Check to make sure the power setting is set to high performance, or try to plug the power cord in and test again.

Or you could just skip the 4K monitor/tv idea completely for now.

As the guys have said, there isn't all that much content to watch in 4K on your TV at the moment. Sure there are some Netflix shows etc. But wait until 4K becomes a bit more mainstream, and technology will only get better in the TV's anyways, and the prices of current models will plummet.

With regards to 4K playback over USB, not many 4K TV's can do that from my previous research.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Most 4K TV's use a different codec. You will need make sure the format is compatible. I have a Vizio 4K TV and it can't play the files straight from the USB because the codecs are different. If you upload to YouTube and use the YouTube app through the smart tv and it will work great and you will be amazed with the footage!

My current Samsung TV needs replacing soon. It is about 4 years old but as a developed a fault and has vertical lines showing across the whole screen that are quite noticeable on certain colours.
Playing back my recordings was just a little bit of extra justification to buy the TV I had my eye on.

Most 4K TV's use a different codec. You will need make sure the format is compatible. I have a Vizio 4K TV and it can't play the files straight from the USB because the codecs are different. If you upload to YouTube and use the YouTube app through the smart tv and it will work great and you will be amazed with the footage!

I don't know how to do that yet but I will look into it, thanks.

I have seen some mention of a program to convert video files into a samsung compatible format, i will give that a try too.

You you can only post edit 2.7k and then all you will ever get regardless of how you stream or show you can only have 1080p as that's what all software edits in. As it stands 4K is nothing more than a gimmick sadly. It's a nice tv but no programmes are filmed or shown in this format no computer can as yet do it either. I'd be happy to stick with filming in 2.7k as you get lovely footage and can zoom in without loss of pixels. Hope this helps and saves you wasting your money on something you don't need.

Posting this from my 5k iMac that was designed for editing 4k videos in mind, and it works just fine. As for 4k content as others says there is 4k shows and in the UK 4k TV channels have started to launch also now.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.