4K or 1080 P?

Reaction score
With this being my first Phantom, should I pull the trigger for the 4K or stay with the 1080P? Is there that much difference in the picture quality??

The photo quality is the same.

Or should I go with a P2V+?? I want to be able to fly waypoints so if I can with a 2 then I might just go that route??? Sorry if this has been asked, I searched and didn't find anything.

Also, if you plan on editing 4K, you better have a FAST system!! I thought our Mac G5 12 core with 12GB RAM would do fine, but it STILL stutters.

Reactions: Tank77
The advantage of 4K also comes in the editing. Sure it can be a little slow on some computers, but the extra resolution lets you be more aggressive in your edits and still have HD feed left to post. 4K can record at 1080, but not the other way around.

Reactions: Elfman12
Yeah what ^^ said.. I like the extra resolution you get from 4k so I can crop a bit and still get a good 1080 video. Plus I plan on having this P3 long enough that I will end up getting a 4k monitor.

4k is great. Even if you don't have a 4k display yourself, you may want to share video with people who do. I don't have a full 4k display myself, but I upload 4k to YouTube and it streams those videos to me at 1440p on my 30" desktop displays. The difference in detail is almost like going from 480p to 1080p.

I'm not sure if both models use the same sensor, but 4k sensors shoot higher quality 1080p video too, even if you aren't interested in greater than 1080p quality. More info:

Hi. I have seen a few samples when down sampling 4k to 1080. The video is definately sharper, not hugely but better no doubt. I purchased a power house laptop so I could get the benefits of editing in 4k. My laptop has a 4k screen and the results watching 4k play back is immense it really is. I love the clarity and sharpness. I would advise anyone with the phantom 3 professional to upgrade to the 4k resolution computer.

one last thought : It really makes you realize just how good that little 4k camera is

Thanks

Reactions: MADrone
I fly an advance. Im not doing any professional work, but I think the quality is amazing. Videos look great(they have that crazy crisp HD look) on my 65" LCD screen and pictures are great. I honestly think unless you have 4k screen or need to do a lot of cropping the difference is minimal. I have a hero 4 black n shoot in 4k n can't see a difference when I play it back on the same tv. I have also tried on a 4k tv n honestly it's not omg amazing i need a 4k tv or a phantom 3 pro.

And well pictures, amazing.

A few straight from the camera
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436288300.393388.jpg

ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436288388.982820.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1436288460.272586.jpg

Or should I go with a P2V+?? I want to be able to fly waypoints so if I can with a 2 then I might just go that route??? Sorry if this has been asked, I searched and didn't find anything.
I'll make you a good deal on my Phantom 2 with H4-3D, Data Link, Extra battery, Case and lots of props, upgraded GPS ceramic antenna. If you want to fly WayPoints, that's the best way to go for now.

I have the P3p and if I was doing it again I would go for the P3A. And get an extra battery for the same money

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4