4K 60fps? Video playback?

Reaction score
Hey guys,

Love the P4P, still getting over the learning curve... 2 questions:

1. You can film 4K 60fps with the P4P right? How do I enable it? When I navigate through the video/camera settings on my Go4 app I only have the 4k/30fps options (or lower).

2. What's the best playback and/or editing software (4K capable) that's free? For playback I tried VLC (latest) and it fails miserably. DIVX player works but I'm noticing some lag/ghosting during playback (maybe due 30fps recording?). I have a pretty beefy gaming rig (PC) so I don't think its hardware...

Any tips for video recording / playback / editing would be appreciated.

Cheers

Hey guys,

1. You can film 4K 60fps with the P4P right? How do I enable it? When I navigate through the video/camera settings on my Go4 app I only have the 4k/30fps options (or lower).

2. What's the best playback and/or editing software (4K capable) that's free? For playback I tried VLC (latest) and it fails miserably. DIVX player works but I'm noticing some lag/ghosting during playback (maybe due 30fps recording?). I have a pretty beefy gaming rig (PC) so I don't think its hardware...

Cheers
You have to scroll down through all the modes. 4K 60 is almost at the bottom of the choices. As for Free editor don't know of a decent one. I can tell you for $30 or so the best bang for the buck is Wondershare Filmora....amazing editor for the price and most reviews say so as well.

Hey guys,

Cheers
I just bought a new gaming machine from Best Buy about 3 months ago and it plays raw footage with windows pretty darn good. Filmora is a good cheap software. I used it for 6 months. But tbo no comparison to how Premier Pro works. But it is pricey and a pretty big learning curve.

I thought only the color correction is Free?
Almost everything in Davinci is included in the free edition. The editing (including multicam-editing) is not as easy as Premiere, but has all the features you will need.

The main missing features (as compared to the paid version) is hdr and export above 4k resolution.

Highly recommended.

As far as I can tell Davinci does NOT support h.265. I've had a serious issue shooting both h.265 and especially 4K/60 h.264, and one trip had over 60% files which would play back using the quadcopter via LightBridge but once in my Mac were not readable and would not convert. Most files failed. Dropped frames? iFrame corruption?

Wondershare could see frames in the movies, but could not render, and at various points in the file, each file would just "fail."

Also saw count-down % readouts in black boxes on the screen as files played back from the computer. This might be what crashed the files during transcoding.

Transcoding was from file native format to Apple Intermediate Codec (direct encoding to Prores sometimes had trouble).

As far as I can tell Davinci does NOT support h.265.
h265 is supported by the licensed version, but the free version requires transcoding to eg prores. You would still need to generate proxies to be able to edit, so the inconvenience is minimal.

Regarding problems reading the files, I would look at the sdcard if you could have a problem there; there have been numerous threads about which works well.

If you're talking about h.265 support in Wondershare, I know ... I own it. However, SOMETHING in the file themselves is preventing transcription or even reading properly.

I used two cards, and each had different problems encoding either: 4K h.265 @ 30fps, or alternately, 4K h.264 @ 60fps. One card was a Transcend Ultimate 633x, 32Gb microSD XC1, U3, and the other was a SanDisc Extreme Pro, 32Gb, microSD XC1, U3.

We've seen:

1) Files that have drop-frames
2) Sometimes these may have caused another artifact, 28 frame-long encoder-artifacted pixel glitches (I've seen these mentioned by others somewhere in these forums)
3) Files of any length (seconds to several minutes) that either take Transcoding, or will not.
4) Playback (staggered and/or super slowed playback) was possible for part of many files that would not convert, in both Wondershare Ultimate and Brorosoft Video Covnerters (VLC being even worse and often crashing),
5) Playback from the camera onboard the Phantom4 Pro works for ALL of these files, but as most people know the broadcast signals are only 1080p and subject to frequency scan line interference patterns, compression crap and generally look horrible. IF ANYONE OUT THERE in Phantom land has managed to pull clean frames from the HDMI output on a Phantom4Pro+, please let me know!?

Conclusion: On a P4P these extreme files (30p 4K h.265 and 60p 4K h.264) are NOT for those who must guarantee footage out the other end of a pipeline (i.e. PROS)! Personally, I am very disappointed, but not too surprised.

I recently read that the NEW Inspire 2's Zenmuse 5XS camera addresses this compression to SSD differently, and yields usable footage at these higher sizes and bitrates. However, I am not sure if this was referencing 4K 60fps h,264 or 4K 30fps h.265 files.

Comments are very welcomed.

I have not yet purchased the Inspire 2 airframe, but did so separately and have a Zenmuse X5S camera sitting in front of me already. Apparently the production pipeline shut down for a month due to Chinese New Year?

Regarding problems reading the files, I would look at the sdcard if you could have a problem there; there have been numerous threads about which works well.

Could you point me to a thread that discusses the fastest cards available that are known to work with the P4P?

See my notes on this thread concerning the cards I've tried.

These are my pc stats, I can play 2.7k @ 60 fps all day long, but when I record in 4k@60fps, my pc will not play it, not in vlc, not in adobe premiere. My pc should be enough. Any ideas?

Attachments

• computer stats.jpg
    computer stats.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 268
These are my pc stats, I can play 2.7k @ 60 fps all day long, but when I record in 4k@60fps, my pc will not play it, not in vlc, not in adobe premiere. My pc should be enough. Any ideas?
Your processor is actually a little slow. And your video card looks really low on Ram too. I have a 32gb video card. The GTX 1070. My CPU is the I-7 like yours but it's rated at 6700 Also have 32 gb of Ram on the processor too. My machine plays 4K @ 30fps flawless. I have not shot anything at 60fps yet as I have not had a need to slow anything down yet. But you may have to use proxies to do your editing and then after render you'll be fine. I also use proxy files because Premier gets jumpy with 4K especially in h265 container format.

The 60 doesnt really work properly anyway. And with no firmware fix in sight, I believe they misrepresented the capabilities.

The 60 doesnt really work properly anyway. And with no firmware fix in sight, I believe they misrepresented the capabilities.
Some guys are getting it to work just fine aren't they? But kind of a pain from what I've read. Is that right DKG13CC?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl