49$ tablet works

Is the video smooth when you are flying?
Yes, I haven't been able to use it much lately. Crappy weather keeps me from flying.
I need to compare it to a better tablet to give it a fair review but for me as an amateur it works fine.

Ok I might give it a shot. My sons tablet works great but I have to keep taking it from him. I just want this tablet for the drone.......don't need to do anything else with it.

Ok I might give it a shot. My sons tablet works great but I have to keep taking it from him. I just want this tablet for the drone.......don't need to do anything else with it.
That's exactly why I got this one.
If it fails or I break it out in the field, I'm out less than 40 bucks.

I watched an unrelated video on the fire, and it would hold true with some of these other low priced tablets, but it showed how many fires you could buy for the price of 1 ipad. It was 8 for the kindle. Since I don't carry my tablet with me everywhere, and am not on it all the time, just when flying, it works great for me. But that's just me.

Hello All,

Complete noob question......

I have an old Asus transformer prime that has goapp installed.

Being old tech, it's wifi would not be as good as a current tablet.

Does this matter?? Does the wifi just talk to controller, then controller sends and receives??

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Is that the same as the kindle fire??
Please post a link, we are restricted with Amazon over here.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app
Sorry, I'm afraid I don't know how to set a link in this post. But yes, the kindle fire 7.

Reactions: dpicx68
I have a kindle fire but I'm unable to find the DJI go app

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You have to get google play store on it! Do a Google Search for running google play store on Kindle Fire 5th gen, I have one and recommend you get the slim rom (xda devs) on it. My only problem is it does not have GPS!

FYI: name of the rom is "slimLP".
You can get the play store on OEM without needing root but if you decide to Install custom rom you will need a pc, root and the flashfire app(if on 5.1.1)

I think when looking for a good tablet price is on everyone's mind. But what should be on everyone's mind is the actual hardware that you are buying. It needs to be fast and responsive so always go for a quadcore processor. Also your DJI GO app will be storing your flight videos so make sure you have enough drive space to handle your storage needs. Next some tablets have better GPS and WiFi than others. I personally use an LG G Pad X 10.1 V2 and it works great. Got it free for signing up with ATT Direct TV 2yr. I must admit I love it. But on the flip side of the coin Ive used my wife's Ipad Air 9.7 and it has a stronger GPS and WiFi. I think Ipad has the best overall quality and everyone recommends using the Ipad 2 mini that you can get at Walmart for $199 on sale. I am using my G Pad all the time simply because im not an Apple kind of guy. Im into android. I know this thread is all about getting a cheap tablet to work with your Phantom but I felt the need to throw in my 2 cents worth just to keep people also thinking in the other direction too. After all I laid out $800 for my P34K another $150 for a spare battery and another $150 for crash insurance. So I have about $1200 tied up into this hobby so I also want to make sure my tablet can meet my needs to fly safely and have no lag either. Lag is an issue with tablets that are simply not powerful enough. If I didnt have the G Pad and was in the market for a cheap tablet I would be looking at the specs on all of the cheap ones from WalMart and Amazon. Specs VS Price. Cheaper isn't always better unless your name is Mr Super Cheap ***! Be sure to look for at least 2gb system memory and 32gb of storage. As these are the ones you will keep. The 16gb models are barely enough to get you by. Thats why I bought my wife a 32gb ipad air for Christmas. And my LG G Pad has 32gb also as it is the 2nd version. You can also get one of many tablets from carriers like ATT and buy a quality tablet and simply pay for it monthly. And last but not least there is the weight factor. Screen size VS Weight. I like a large screen and dont mind a little extra weight. While others would never hold the rig I have. I just made a sunshade from poster board and soon to add a DBS range extender too. So my neck strap is a big help. DJI is all about quality. Its like the iphone of quads. I even wondered if DJI and Apple were not connected in some way. I always pay a little more and go for quality. The reason I bought a 4K and not the Std. But thats just me, everyone is different with different circumstances. But the coolest thing is that here we all are flying and enjoying a great hobby and sharing our thoughts here on the web. I'm so glad I wasn't born 100 yrs ago! Happy Flying!

Reactions: Noble 1
I think when looking for a good tablet price is on everyone's mind. But what should be on everyone's mind is the actual hardware that you are buying. It needs to be fast and responsive so always go for a quadcore processor. Also your DJI GO app will be storing your flight videos so make sure you have enough drive space to handle your storage needs. Next some tablets have better GPS and WiFi than others. I personally use an LG G Pad X 10.1 V2 and it works great. Got it free for signing up with ATT Direct TV 2yr. I must admit I love it. But on the flip side of the coin Ive used my wife's Ipad Air 9.7 and it has a stronger GPS and WiFi. I think Ipad has the best overall quality and everyone recommends using the Ipad 2 mini that you can get at Walmart for $199 on sale. I am using my G Pad all the time simply because im not an Apple kind of guy. Im into android. I know this thread is all about getting a cheap tablet to work with your Phantom but I felt the need to throw in my 2 cents worth just to keep people also thinking in the other direction too. After all I laid out $800 for my P34K another $150 for a spare battery and another $150 for crash insurance. So I have about $1200 tied up into this hobby so I also want to make sure my tablet can meet my needs to fly safely and have no lag either. Lag is an issue with tablets that are simply not powerful enough. If I didnt have the G Pad and was in the market for a cheap tablet I would be looking at the specs on all of the cheap ones from WalMart and Amazon. Specs VS Price. Cheaper isn't always better unless your name is Mr Super Cheap ***! Be sure to look for at least 2gb system memory and 32gb of storage. As these are the ones you will keep. The 16gb models are barely enough to get you by. Thats why I bought my wife a 32gb ipad air for Christmas. And my LG G Pad has 32gb also as it is the 2nd version. You can also get one of many tablets from carriers like ATT and buy a quality tablet and simply pay for it monthly. And last but not least there is the weight factor. Screen size VS Weight. I like a large screen and dont mind a little extra weight. While others would never hold the rig I have. I just made a sunshade from poster board and soon to add a DBS range extender too. So my neck strap is a big help. DJI is all about quality. Its like the iphone of quads. I even wondered if DJI and Apple were not connected in some way. I always pay a little more and go for quality. The reason I bought a 4K and not the Std. But thats just me, everyone is different with different circumstances. But the coolest thing is that here we all are flying and enjoying a great hobby and sharing our thoughts here on the web. I'm so glad I wasn't born 100 yrs ago! Happy Flying!

I was just thinking this very same thing. The NVIDIA shield and iPad are looking more and more attractive. I'm using the INSIGNIA Flex ELITE 7.8". It gets the job done, no issues on DJI GO. Not really any lag I can tell. As far as other programs and uses beyond the Phantom it sucks. So that makes me wonder if a better tablet would just "blow my mind".

@Rambo1 You went for quality so you bought the P34K?

Reactions: 185EZ
Also your DJI GO app will be storing your flight videos so make sure you have enough drive space to handle your storage needs.
I can`t understand why I need these videos stored at my mobile phone?After all you`ll have them on your Phantom`s sd card.
I turned off this function in DJI GO and I noticed live video streaming is smoother.

I did the same thing. Its on the card, why do I need to clutter up my phone or tablet? And all this talk about quality, I used an lg 70 phone up until a week ago. It cost 90$, has all the phone features I'll ever use on a smart phone, and a bunch that I will never use, and it worked, and still works excellent. One of the things I like about this hobby is pulling the sd out of the drone, putting it in my pc, and editing it. I don't need to have my pc hooked to my rc in the field. I guess the next thing I'll have to think about is how to get a refrigerator small enough to hook on to the transmitter so I can have a beer, and a recliner to relax in while flying.

Reactions: 185EZ
I am assuming that the "Cache Locally" toggle is what you are talking about "turning off" correct?
No -- this:

DJI-GO-Video-Cache.png

I don't have that. I just have the "Cache Locally When Recording" and "Auto Clean up Video Cache (when over 2GB).

Now I am not hooked up to the Phantom so maybe that makes a differenece.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31