4000 mAh from UK

18 + minutes here too.(see my post-4000mah flight time result)
next thing on the list p2 props or carbon fibre :D

GOKU1972 said:

Food for thought ...................

From Phantom pilot one.

Let me see if I can explain this to you. The original props that come with the phantom are made of a soft plastic, this is so if you hit something the prop hopefully will not break. As they rotate, and you would need a hi speed camera to see this, they actually begin to flatten out towards their tips, thus losing their pitch angle. Carbon fibre, when its made correctly, has less of this flattening out and keeps it pitch, or bite into the air constant. The same principal can be seen on a constant speed propeller used on small and large propeller aircraft. The pitch or bite is adjustable. So for example on take off you want as much pitch on the blades as possible to pull the aircraft along. Once you hit cruising speed you can lower the pitch or as we pilots call it, feather the props as less pitch is needed. So you can see how this would affect how your phantom flies. If the prop pitch stay constant you need less power to maintain altitude, carry loads or just getting off the ground. So you get more lift from your props with a good quality carbon fibre prop. I am a private pilot and fly a Diamond Star, most of the aircraft is carbon fibre laminate with of course a carbon fibre 3 blade propeller. That's why.

Reply from Phantom pilot 2

The THEORY is sound, but the experience a LARGE number of people have had seems to be that CF props often make the phantom less stable and in the worst cases completely non-flightworthy. Maybe it's because the people manufacturing them aren't building to aerospace standards and may have little or no QC process, completely unlike the parts that are used on your airplane. I also believe that CF props, while ultimately stronger than plastic props, can be less resilient to damage, by which I mean a prop strike may render a CF prop unstable or unpredictable due to compromising the internal structure even if there's little visible damage. There's just so much that can go wrong with a laminate part if you don't know exactly what you're dealing with.

Composite laminates can do amazing things when engineered correctly. But they're also very easy to build cheaply with very little engineering, which results in a "cool looking" part with no performance advantage. When people snap up cheap CF props from low quality manufacturers, they have no idea what they're getting. In contrast, the DJI plastic props are a single isotropic material that behaves very predictably. If you know of a manufacturer who's actually doing it right, and you can see some kind of consistent and quantifiable improvement in performance, then enjoy; but you can't just flat out assume that "CF=BETTER" because it often isn't the case.

(note - I'm not just pulling this all out of my arse, I'm a mechanical engineer and a good deal of my degree focus was on composite materials and turbo machinery)

As a side note, I recently grazed my wife's freshly detailed BMW with the prop of my Phantom. If it had been a carbon fibre prop, that mistake would have cost me several hundred dollars. I do think it's a valid point that a CF prop can do a LOT more damage to person or property than the softer plastic props. Whether that's a worthwhile risk is an individual decision, but when I've seen very few actual experiences that indicate that the performance is significantly better, I see little reason to take that risk at all.

Maybe this is a case of - If it works - don't mess with it - but if you do, I for one will read with interest.

Above is corrected for English spelling :lol:

GOKU1972 said:
18 + minutes here too.(see my post-4000mah flight time result)

Thats really impressive if you are getting 18+ with stock props!!
P2 Props should add a couple more minutes.
(Just my 2 cents...dont bother with Carbon props. Go for the P2 props)

Just received my battery today. Fully charged at 12.65v, P2 9" props, and FC40 cam. Flew it pretty aggressive and got 19m 19sec. Just ordered 2 more. :D Landed after 2nd warning at 11.0v.

Id wait for hobbyking UK to restock,I didnt and ordered from international warehouse. Next day they were back in stock

deltamike said:
Hobby King in the UK have run out of the 4000's. and I wanted two more so I suppose DT, Red one (Arrows?) and Mikey have the whole UK stock :lol: :cry:

DAMM

I'm in Canada.. purchased from hobbyking from the "USA warehouse"...

I orderd from international Warehouse and it got delivered in 5 workdays from Hongkong to norway!

I just recieved my 2500 mah battery i ordered from ebay 6 weeks ago and are disgusted by them and the original battery so i
now feel its a Waste of time even trying them, since the 4000MAh IS SO FRIKKIN GOOD!!!

I am wondering about dual battery setup With 2x 4000mah.. i have everything i need to try it out... but......

[quote="mikey]

I'm in Canada.. purchased from hobbyking from the "USA warehouse"...[/quote]

Ah. For some reason I thought you were in the UK. You are let off Mikey.

My next test flight or so is going to be with P2 props.

Pete

I have ordered 2 of them from us, be warned you will be charged import tax, 14 euros for me!

timmy80 said:
I have ordered 2 of them from us, be warned you will be charged import tax, 14 euros for me!

I have Hobbyking UK e-mailing me when the batteries are in the UK.

I will advise when they are back in stock ............................ Stay tuned

Pete

Thought I'd give a quick update. After half destroying one of my 4000's cause I was a moron and shoved it in without mod'ing the battery opening.. I couldn't get the thing out for a while.. I didn't have a dremel so I used a sharp knife and carefully cut the opening large enough to fit the new batteries in. I also have managed to successfully insert the battery wires first a few times, just have to fiddle with the wires a little to make sure they go to the left, slide it in and the door closes without any extra pressure, quite happy with this setup. - just thought I'd let ya all know. Was too windy to fly today though :( hoping I can get some flights in tomorrow and test for flight times.

Hiya Mikey - Shame really - but it happens.

I have ordered some P2 props to see if the flight times will be increased yet again. At this rate the 40 will be up there all damm
day. :lol:

Pete

Pete.. lostkiwi... help!

Took one of my 4000's out today. Only got 5min out on it. Here are my wonderings: my props are original ones.. and maybe a bit skuffed up.. i don't think that would make my flight time so terrible?? But perhaps...

Second.. was very windy still today. Would a strong wind cut flight time so drastically? Maybe a combination of the two things? Also.. it was first flight.. charged it full out of the box, and then flew about an hour later.. I read somewhere in the forums where someone said that first charge was lousy but flight times improved over a few charge cycles??

I'm flying stock fc40, default low voltage settings. 5min to auto-land, moderate flying.

Hi Mikey,

Bit of a puzzler but easily solved with trial and error.

First of all, something is not right. (Genius - aren't I) :lol:

Charge the 4000 and then take a voltage reading. Straight after a charge it should read about 12.75v. After two days or so it should read about 12.60v and if both are drastically lower then the battery or the charger is knackered. (Technical phrase)

Also, I would try a flight with a 2200. Take a voltage reading before flight one, and time the duration - then charge the SAME battery - let it rest till the same voltage reading is obtained (Might take a day or so) - and test the duration again and fly in exactly the same conditions. If you do this and the duration is shorter than flight one, then your charger is at fault and not charging the battery up enough. You can probably discount a faulty battery.

The flying conditions MUST be calm to do the above tests and do not change any settings between the two flights.

Speaking of chargers, the Core UAC-50 is brilliant. It tells you if a cell is knackered - what the voltages are - balances the voltages - and many other things. It also charges Ni-Cads and others. It may be pricey but it WILL keep your batteries in peak condition.

Try the above and report back.

Pete

deltamike said:
Hi Mikey,

Bit of a puzzler but easily solved with trial and error.

First of all, something is not right. (Genius - aren't I) :lol:

Charge the 4000 and then take a voltage reading. Straight after a charge it should read about 12.75v. After two days or so it should read about 12.60v and if both are drastically lower then the battery or the charger is knackered. (Technical phrase)

Also, I would try a flight with a 2200. Take a voltage reading before flight one, and time the duration - then charge the SAME battery - let it rest till the same voltage reading is obtained (Might take a day or so) - and test the duration again and fly in exactly the same conditions. If you do this and the duration is shorter than flight one, then your charger is at fault and not charging the battery up enough. You can probably discount a faulty battery.

The flying conditions MUST be calm to do the above tests and do not change any settings between the two flights.

Speaking of chargers, the Core UAC-50 is brilliant. It tells you if a cell is knackered - what the voltages are - balances the voltages - and many other things. It also charges Ni-Cads and others. It may be pricey but it WILL keep your batteries in peak condition.

Try the above and report back.

Pete

OK, I've cancelled a few things out. First charge on my second 4000 battery, (sorry, no voltage readings) - full charge from stock charger, moderate flying, calm conditions. Just over 7 minutes till auto land. Directly after I used stock 2200 battery, full charge, flew 4min 30 seconds till auto land.

This was done with fresh new stock props (so I figure it wasn't my props).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers