4000 feet and aeroplane

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Euh, don't fly that high especially near an airport.

The fact you even ask that is worrisome.

They fly 4000 out away from themselves not upwards that high. I have to ask. Are you for real or just trolling as many threads as possible?

If your not trolling then like many others I do worry for people around you. This hobby is do far lightly regulated in many countries. Please don't act irresponsibly and force the various governing bodies to rush in tight regulation.

lakislambrianides said:
Yes but I see that many members here fly on 4000feet and more...

LOL, well just because you see someone do it does not mean its OK.

OMG !

Did this conversation really take place? Scary and I will never get back the 5mins of my life reading this...

My suggestion: Simply don't.
If you have any hesitation or misgivings about flying at any altitude, don't go that high, period. Then you won't have to worry.

The videos you've seen of others doing the same are either A) Idiots that are putting themselves (and us, by extension) at risk, or B) Fully aware of their environment and surroundings. You do NOT want to be in Group A, and there are extremely few people who are in Group B.

Remember: Do not attempt to fly your lightweight, hobbyist equipment at that altitude.

Is this for real???

If you in an area near any airports or in the area of any flight paths.... DON'T FLY THERE??

Does this really even need to be said??

I don't think the OP was asking if HE could fly that high, but instead was asking for conformation that flights at that altitude are dangerous.
I hope.

lakislambrianides said:
Can you ask my question? Even if somebody go too high close to airport airport gps make phantom automatically go down yes or no? Thnks

Yes, but it's due to radius, not necessarily altitude.

Though to echo the sentiment in this thread, please don't fly so close to airports. The more times people test these boundaries, the more times governments and flight groups will tighten restrictions.

lakislambrianides said:
If you don't worry about fly safe dont read this.thnks..I worry thats why I want ask and learn.
I don't know what country you are from and if they have rules and/or guidelines. I would suggest that you read up on guidelines from the US AMA, the US FAA or the rules from the UK CAA. While we all have different viewpoints on regulation I suggest if you indeed want to learn that you look at the subject of safety addressed by each or even one of these organisations.

Generally for safety, most countries have rules or suggest staying below 400ft AGL and keeping your aircraft within Line Of Sight (LOS) for good reason IMO. You would be lucky to have LOS at 1000ft vertical or horizontal. 4000ft AGL is madness.

Glad to see you want to ask and learn.

Sent from Samsung S4 via Tapatalk

A couple of points.
The DJI no-fly map does not cover all airports. See what it does cover here .. http://www.dji.com/fly-safe/category-mc
IF a Phantom pilot did climb to 4000 ft, apart from entering airspace and creating risk to plane traffic and possibly encountering high winds at altitude, there is a potential problem for the Phantom pilot in that the Phantom will only descend at 2 metres/sec.
1200 metres = 600 seconds to descend = 10 minutes required just to come down

For the original poster ... stay away from other air traffic and stay below 400 feet

lakislambrianides said:
Hi what happen if you fly on 4000 feet and airplane come for landing? How can you avoid disaster? ??

Don't worry. Your drone won't fly in restricted air space around an airport. If somehow you were at 4000 feet inside restricted space your drone would be well above the standard final leg of an airplane on approach.

If your drone still did manage to somehow get in the way of a prop driven plane, even a Cesna 150 would mulch your drone without taking even a scratch. Not entirely sure if your drone could do any harm to a commercial jet engine but they can land even with one engine out.

So relax you have nothing to worry about.

Not sure I would say relax... That's like saying tossing rocks at a cop is fine because they have bullet proof vests on..

As far as not taking a scratch...... A prop might do ok, but a jet will not.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L1jZvlFmqQU
You do know they have to tear down and repair the engine after a bird strike.

I would post a image, but just do a search for "Jet Engine bird strike"

I am willing to bet if just one jet sucked up a quad, that would be the end of the hobby for us all.

By the way thanks for at least asking. Just put yourself in a small plane flying at 800' and taking a Phantom in the windshield. I am sure if you flip the coin you will understand.

Sorry if was short as I was a little in shock. You want to stay below aircraft at all times. The Phantom can not descend fast enough to get out of the way of a plane if you do see/hear it coming.

There are 4 airports/airfields in my city. Only one is on the DJI do not fly map. Doesnt mean the others are any safer to fly near. The DJI airport zone does very little to protect you.

Yes there is a system that limits the Phantom near airports, but it doesn't cover every airport, so you still need to be careful.

lakislambrianides said:
I'm sure that if you beat a plane .. there will be serious damage. THAT I am asking is this, there are systems that nails the phantom can not fly vey high in short distance from the airport or not ??

This was answered multiple times. Yes. Si. Oui. Ja. Evet. ναι. نعم. はい. Да.
Please watch the video from DJI that I linked previously: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YoXAMRQoIAA

Depending on your location... country.. etc.. some planes are allowed to fly at 500 feet in certain area's..... so be careful.....

I wonder when someone is going to make a transponder for the Phantoms... Need ATC clearance to take off in the park :p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers