400' rule when flying over a cliff?

D

drunkpenguin

New to the hobby! I live in NM and we have some really cool caprock areas were the ground will suddenly drop off like a cliff for several hundred feet. These caps are out in the middle of nowhere a hundred miles from civilization. I thought they might make some cool videos, but I'm wondering, will the Phantom go over the side of the cliff and then immediately drop itself back down to 400' relative to the new terrain? I'm afraid I would have a big problem flying the thing back up to where I started.

will the Phantom go over the side of the cliff and then immediately drop itself back down to 400' relative to the new terrain?
No. It'll remain at the same altitude when it flies over the edge of the cliff.

no it wont

But keep in mind if you're trying to adhere to the 400' AGL rule when you fly out horizontally and the landscape drops below you, you could be violating the 400' rule.

But keep in mind if you're trying to adhere to the 400' AGL rule when you fly out horizontally and the landscape drops below you, you could be violating the 400' rule.
400 foot isn't a rule its a suggestion

Reasonableness should prevail, but we all know the letter of the law and the spirit of the law don't always coincide. If you are flying at 400' away from you over a cliff, it wouldn't be unreasonable to fly relatively close to the cliff face where it would be very unreasonable an aircraft wouldn't be flying.

Other than civilian planes and helicopters flying low in these types of areas, I've seen military aircraft doing low levels through mountainous areas, appearing out of nowhere in a blink of an eye.

Reactions: BigAl07
Reasonableness should prevail, but we all know the letter of the law and the spirit of the law don't always coincide. If you are flying at 400' away from you over a cliff, it wouldn't be unreasonable to fly relatively close to the cliff face where it would be very unreasonable an aircraft wouldn't be flying.

Other than civilian planes and helicopters flying low in these types of areas, I've seen military aircraft doing low levels through mountainous areas, appearing out of nowhere in a blink of an eye.
Not sure what you you're talking about. Op had a simple question and msinger answered it correctly....and then it all went to crazy..

will the Phantom go over the side of the cliff and then immediately drop itself back down to 400' relative to the terrain / I said no it wont / does that help you out understanding it now

Reactions: Monte55

True but the issue with military planes is that they fly anywhere. Any altitude. Any time. And some of them are damned fast.

That said, if a B52 runs into my P3, it's going to be a sad day for the drone. The B52 likely won't even know something has happened. Military aircraft are supposed to stick to certain flight paths noted in sectionals but I've seen F16s and 18s as well as choppers fly all over the map.

True but the issue with military planes is that they fly anywhere. Any altitude. Any time. And some of them are damned fast.

That said, if a B52 runs into my P3, it's going to be a sad day for the drone. The B52 likely won't even know something has happened. Military aircraft are supposed to stick to certain flight paths noted in sectionals but I've seen F16s and 18s as well as choppers fly all over the map.
A pilot in my squadron was one of the luckiest. He flew too low into a valley or a canyon( I don't remember now since it has been over 30 years now) and struck a power line. It snapped the line, and he and his craft made it home. However, the aircraft sustained heavy damage.

That anecdote is to say that pilots are to follow rules and/or flight paths, but they don't always. The best thing is to follow the law and rules, but if you stray, be reasonable and with safety always in your mind.

Also, just as bird strikes have and will bring down planes, so will a drone-by accident and probably by an intentional act.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic