400 foot FAA guideline "question"

Ari

Reaction score
So I was flying on Friday on the NJ side of the Hudson river two miles north of the George Washington Bridge. If you're familiar with the area you would know that the cliffs of the Palisades are very high- ~380 ft. So by me standing at the bank of the river I can only technically fly to the cliffs tops, however if I am standing at the top of the cliff, I get another 400 ft of flight hight?

So if I fly at the river bank could I go up 800 ft as if I was standing atop the cliff? Lol

Side note, it is dam cool flying half mile over a river at the middle of the span and watching the traffic go by (from a safe distance) on the screen.

The guidelines - not yet a rule - say 400 ft AGL, so if you are flying toward higher ground elevations and you maintain 400 ft AGL or less, then you are within the guidelines.

Reactions: skyhighdiver
400 is what the documentation on the printout from the FAA registration says. To each his own though, but it isn't worth it to me since a cornfield at 200 feet looks like a cornfield at 400 feet.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20