Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

400 foot FAA guideline "question"

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Ari, Jun 14, 2015.

1. Ari

Ari

So I was flying on Friday on the NJ side of the Hudson river two miles north of the George Washington Bridge. If you're familiar with the area you would know that the cliffs of the Palisades are very high- ~380 ft. So by me standing at the bank of the river I can only technically fly to the cliffs tops, however if I am standing at the top of the cliff, I get another 400 ft of flight hight?

So if I fly at the river bank could I go up 800 ft as if I was standing atop the cliff? Lol

Side note, it is dam cool flying half mile over a river at the middle of the span and watching the traffic go by (from a safe distance) on the screen.

2. NYRangers99

Thats basically right across from Riverdale area…The Palisades are amazing..

Ari likes this.
  3. SteveMann

The guidelines - not yet a rule - say 400 ft AGL, so if you are flying toward higher ground elevations and you maintain 400 ft AGL or less, then you are within the guidelines.

skyhighdiver likes this.
  4. Ari

Ari

This was the year for the our ticker tape parade... Now that would've been awesome to have this toy for! #LGR

5. DeadGrunt

400 is what the documentation on the printout from the FAA registration says. To each his own though, but it isn't worth it to me since a cornfield at 200 feet looks like a cornfield at 400 feet.