400 and BELOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
And listen if you read any flight magazines (you know for real, actual pilots) the FAA is already putting together the types of certifications and licenses drone operators will need. And there isn't a "real" pilot out there that disagrees. I just talked my friend into getting a Phantom 3 and he has an actual pilot's license and flies his plane all over the place... he figures it'll be about a year - and you'll be required to have training and get a drone pilot's license.

GOOD. As a drone operator and citizen this is a step in the right direction. I don't know any responsible pilots that think otherwise. Calling this an infringement of your freedoms is hilarious to us.

Reactions: snowghost
You were not born with the right to fly a drone into federal airspace, because drones are a new invention that came AFTER that federal airspace was there. I do find it hilarious how you think that regulation should disappear because YOU happen to feel responsible enough to not be a *******. The world doesn't revolve around you. It has to encompass complete morons so we can all be safe.
Not at all. You misunderstand our Constitution. It's a check on the "government", not the people. Anything not prohibited by the Constitution is left to the "States and the People" to decide. Mind you, I'm not defending the stupid flyers, but your answer is to penalize EVERYONE so that we get the bad guy. That's not the original intent of the Founders. But I already see that it's a losing proposition to try and discuss these matters here, so I'm dropping it altogether. I'm heading to write a post on my first flight today!!!!

Reactions: jlo and damitjim
Requiring pilots to be licensed isn't a penalty.

(and I'm pretty sure you don't want to put drones up to a public vote ;))

Requiring pilots to be licensed isn't a penalty.

(and I'm pretty sure you don't want to put drones up to a public vote ;))
They didn't put it up to a public vote in Austin before they BANNED it. Now they had to eat crow and reverse it. It will work out that way "every time" if you just stand up for your rights. Really.

Reactions: jlo and damitjim
Licensing is not going to happen, unenforceable. Unless you mandate a transponder in a drone, you can't track it to a person. What will most likely happen is they will just ban the import of any toy capable of flying over 400 feet in altitude, it's a whole lot cheaper and less legal entanglements.

And listen if you read any flight magazines (you know for real, actual pilots) the FAA is already putting together the types of certifications and licenses drone operators will need. And there isn't a "real" pilot out there that disagrees. I just talked my friend into getting a Phantom 3 and he has an actual pilot's license and flies his plane all over the place... he figures it'll be about a year - and you'll be required to have training and get a drone pilot's license.

GOOD. As a drone operator and citizen this is a step in the right direction. I don't know any responsible pilots that think otherwise. Calling this an infringement of your freedoms is hilarious to us.

LOL! Never gonna happen, the public **** fest that would ensue would make any lawyer thinking of backing that up consider retirement

It will not be long before logs are automatically generated and sent to FAA etc, or drones have a unique radio signature identifiable with a specific... in this case idiot...

all of us at some point are doing something illegal, flying over people in a park or crossing a road in the neighbourhood... so lets hope they can act rationally with the future of this tech...

Reactions: Adam Kontras
The great thing here is that people are generally amazed by our drones and what they can do. There is no hysteria in the general public over the word drone

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

More and more volunteers performing wide area searches, remote eyes for disaster management, lifeguard assistance, emergency communications deployment, etc. We’re just beginning to realize the variety of public service jobs mechanical birds can perform.

It’s kinda shame there isn’t more “brainstorming” threads about new, inventive and beneficial applications for UAV’s which could benefit society at large rather than the intense interest in “morons” who endanger a tiny speck of ATC.

Oh well, object fixation I guess…

Yeah right...you totally went ad hominem on the guy....twice now. ;)

I was clearly joking there, thus the smiley.

And no, I did NOT call him a moron, I was talking about the morons that do dangerous things with their quads, he's only had one flight! Maybe he was inferring he will be a future moron and do dangerous things? But as of yet, he has not gotten on here boasting about being 3000 feet in the air in Manhattan. That sir, is being a moron.

Uhh...no, they don't. Commercial planes just either ram or grind up birds. You can't immediately make an avoidance turn on a 747 just for the sake of a bird.
Yes we do. A bird strike is a potentially catastrophic event, let alone a piece of hard plastic. There is no reason for a photodrone to be in controlled airspace. One thing that isnt being adressed here is the fact that IF a controlled object finds its way into controlled airspace and does cause an incursion or death, the operator of said object becomes legally liable.

Again, the Feds don't "own" the airspace. They manage it, it belongs to the people.
They may as well own it. They legally enforce the safe use of it. Trust me, A scrap with Federal is something that you do not want. It is one thing for them to warn you about being in controlled airspace. If you actually hit something, God himself will not be able to help you.

What most people don't seem to understand is that IF a drone was to be ingested by a jet, and even if it did no immediate damage (and it might or might not) it would REQUIRE and immediate landing and inspection. You DON'T take chances with a Multi-Million dollar A/C and the lives of a hundred or more people. So what happens, the plane gets diverted, airpors traffic pattern is cleared for an emergency landing, crash crew is called out, schedule is disrupted, trickle down caused missed connections, late arrivals, and a LOT of bad PR. Not to mention the COST of all this and the engine tear down. Do YOU want this to caused because you didn't have the common sense to not fly where you had no business being. Can you IMAGINE the media field day and negative PR for our hobby. You would be on the **** list of every RC pilot in the country. Tell you what, I am a bad shot (not really) so why don't you stand about 300m away and let me shoot at you?(generalized 'you') there is only one chance in a million that I can hit you so its OK..... REALLY? The sad part is that common sense is fast becoming a rare thing these days.

I'm becoming very skeptical about pilot report of drones. Especially if it's a news helicopter. Without a question those pilots are going to lose their business to drones, about 1/10 the cost to the news station. I believe they are shooting the drone with their incredibly precise zoom lenses and then saying that the drone was 10 feet away. I don't blame them though, that's business.

I'm a professional pilot and have had to maneuver around some little kid's lost ballon on a few occasions. My P3 is about the same size. They can be seen depending on the angle and how the sun reflects off them. It's just a matter of time before a few irresponsible people mess it up for all of us. Everyone who flies drones MUST know the airspace requirements and limitations. If I'm flying in Class G or Class E airspace, I don't want to hit a drone. At the same time, when I fly my drone, I don't want to jeopardize the safety of an aircraft and the occupants! PLEASE USE COMMON SENSE and quit trying to set altitude records!

W
Uhh...no, they don't. Commercial planes just either ram or grind up birds. You can't immediately make an avoidance turn on a 747 just for the sake of a bird.
We avoid birds if at all possible. It's never good to ingest anything into a jet engine. Sometimes it doesn't hurt anything. Other times, it could cause hundreds of thousands of dollars.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues