400 and BELOW!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm talking in mid flight which is what I thought you meant.
Oh hah yeah. In cruise flight in would be impossible. Haha sometimes we are cruising as fast as 600mph.

how fast are you travelling in meters per second on landing approach? How far away could you be from an object that's 450mm wide and half that as tall and still see it? how many seconds does it take you to maneuver around an object that may also be moving in any direction?
Trying to figure out how big of an object it would have to be for a pilot to see it and how much time they would have decide to avoid it and actually be able to.
Also the article said that the aircraft climbed to avoid it which seems reasonable. You can climb 200 feet in seconds easily. Turning out of the way would take a lot more time.

I guess this is where I am different from everyone else on this site. I come mainly from firearms as a hobby. We fight new restrictions tooth and nail. On here it seems many take what if scenarios that are HIGHLY unlikely and gov proposed restrictions as law.

I don't do anything ignorant with my drone by any means. But just because one person did, and didn't cause an incident mind you, doesn't mean we have to have restrictions in place.

In other words, I enjoy freedom
I hear you, the biggest mistakes the NRA ever made were sitting at the table with the government and "self regulating" gun owners.
Illustrated-Guide-To-Gun-Control.png

But since drones don't have that pesky 2nd amendment it's really apples and oranges.

Reactions: chase45
Oh for christ stake, don't even start with gun control.....

Lol Im not going to,

But give it time, and the attitude of a lot on this site and you will have regulations to where you cannot even use these things in your back yard.

I for one don't want to be severely limited on what I can and cannot do with my own personally property due to one guy being an idiot.

Heres some gun control for ya until then ;). Cant wait to start mixing both of these hobbies
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

When a large bird gets sucked into a jet engine it can and often will do damage. The main reason for the bird strike tests is to make sure two things happen:
  • The engine stays contained (Google uncontained engine failure to see why this is important)
  • The engine can function for long enough to make an emergency landing
So, let's keep things in perspective. You can't just shoot a medium sized object into a giant spinning machine where the blade tips are moving at supersonic speed and expect nothing to happen.

P.S. Gun crap? No comment. Keep it on topic.

When a large bird gets sucked into a jet engine it can and often will do damage. The main reason for the bird strike tests is to make sure two things happen:
  • The engine stays contained (Google uncontained engine failure to see why this is important)
  • The engine can function for long enough to make an emergency landing
So, let's keep things in perspective. You can't just shoot a medium sized object into a giant spinning machine where the blade tips are moving at supersonic speed and expect nothing to happen.

P.S. Gun crap? No comment. Keep it on topic.

I find the two related in this incident when talking about restrictions....

Last edited:
The problem is that this has gone well beyond model hobby planes and drones are going to multiply very very quickly up to the point that they will be as common place as cars in a few decades, do you really think they won't need regulation, of course they will even though I'm against it but in the grand scale of things they are going to be. Like it or lump it but you'd better start getting used to the idea rather than throwing toys out of the pram screaming "don't you dare tell me what to do"

The problem is that this has gone well beyond model hobby planes and drones are going to multiply very very quickly up to the point that they will be as common place as cars in a few decades, do you really think they won't need regulation, of course they will even though I'm against it but in the grand scale of things they are going to be. Like it or lump it but you'd better start getting used to the idea rather than throwing toys out of the pram screaming "don't you dare tell me what to do"

I personally believe the no fly zones around airports to be enough to keep everything safe personally. That and common sense. Most that have 1k in disposable income has common sense. Sure theres going to be idiots out there. But should we let those few rule the majority?

Yet these are the same butt hurt peeps over a **** drone/car commercial. A FARKING COMMERCIAL!! Get lives peoples.

Modern jet engines can suck in even worse and still run. They are incredible peices of engineering.

A turkey is not the same as an 8-10 pound Octocopter with a gimbal & DSLR, lots of which is metal, and even birds take out engines, talk to the Hudson River pilot. But even a strike that didn't take out the engine would require a precautionary landing and inspection at the nearest airport, causing delays, disruption of scheduling, and a hefty price tag, all of which could be laid at the door of the bonehead RC pilot.

Reactions: snowghost
I personally believe the no fly zones around airports to be enough to keep everything safe personally. That and common sense. Most that have 1k in disposable income has common sense. Sure theres going to be idiots out there. But should we let those few rule the majority?
The issue is at the moment I think only the DJI products have the embedded no-fly zones.

The issue is at the moment I think only the DJI products have the embedded no-fly zones.

I was under the impression the no fly zone around airports was a law.

You cant idiot proof everything in life. But illegal is already illegal

That's true, but an idiot with a DJI drone at least is prevented from flying in the no-fly zones around airports in most cases.

Sure I understand. But again you cannot fool proof everything in life. If someone breaks that law throw the book at them, but me cruising at 1k feet taking pics of the horizon and such, shouldn't be illegal and currently is not. I understand safety around airport. I get that. But being dozens of miles from an airport I should for the most part(again using common sense) be able to have free rein.

I just dont support further restrictions is what Im getting at. I think 400 feet is a little low for a proposed restriction honestly.

Reactions: Apparition
Sure I understand. But again you cannot fool proof everything in life. If someone breaks that law throw the book at them, but me cruising at 1k feet taking pics of the horizon and such, shouldn't be illegal and currently is not. I understand safety around airport. I get that. But being dozens of miles from an airport I should for the most part(again using common sense) be able to have free rein.

I just dont support further restrictions is what Im getting at. I think 400 feet is a little low for a proposed restriction honestly.

In Seattle, tourism sea planes will typically fly in at around that height before landing on the water. They buzz neighborhoods pretty close and seatac is surrounded by residential areas

In Seattle, tourism sea planes will typically fly in at around that height before landing on the water. They buzz neighborhoods pretty close and seatac is surrounded by residential areas

Again, that's where the common sense thing comes in...

Again, you cannot idiot proof everything.

We can what if this all night long. But to this day a drone has not brought down a transport aircraft.

But if the only way for you to follow common sense is for big brother to put words on paper for you then by all means contact the appropriate people and tell them you support having restrictions on what you can do with your personal property

Reactions: Apparition
But if the only way for you to follow common sense is for big brother to put words on paper for you then by all means contact the appropriate people and tell them you support having restrictions on what you can do with your personal property

Your car is your personal property. I support having restrictions on it. Just because you or I have common sense, doesn't mean everyone does. I can't drive a Formula One race car around my neighborhood. Duh.

Again, that's where the common sense thing comes in...

Sadly, it's not that common. That's why we have speed limits. I don't like them but I accept that they are necessary.
Again, you cannot idiot proof everything.

You don't abandon common sense measures because you can't make them perfect.
But to this day a drone has not brought down a transport aircraft.

Waiting until that happens is a bad idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic