4-State Borders Region MD-PA-WVA-VA

Garymac said:
... I would love to meet some more experienced pilots near the Gainesville/Manassas area of VA to compare notes and fly together.

You are about 40 minutes south of here- if you get in a real bind, gather everything up, put it in your vehicle, and drive over (hit me with a pm first to schedule) and I will smooth you right out as to strict basics- I am far from qualified to help beyond that other than being a demon with a search engine.

Incidentally, you have some killer flying spots if you head straight out 50 and find Sky Meadows State Park... that was my kin's property at one time long ago, and there are some excellent sweeping knolls that allow for some very good line of sight flying for as far as the human eye can follow. The only issue is the hardcore prepper type with high powered rifles and scopes- and with NRA headquarters right down the street, they feel very emboldened in Virginia these days.

HIWay

Thanks for offering to help me get started. I am available most days. Give me a few dates you would be available to meet with me. I would drive to you of course with my Phantom, etc.

My contact info is:

Gary McGuire
Gainesville, VA
[email protected]
You can also message me on FB.

Thanks.

Garymac said:
HIWay

Thanks for offering to help me get started. I am available most days. Give me a few dates you would be available to meet with me. I would drive to you of course with my Phantom, etc.

email sent-

Hey Hiway,
I work for the National Park Service at Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. I'll have to take you up on your offer to stop in sometime. I just got my phantom a month ago and have not had decent flying weather to try it out yet. It would be great to have someone experienced for that first flight. Hoping like you to get some good aerial shots of the battlefields, National Cemetery and city of Fredericksburg.
Come on down sometime and I'll give you a tour of our battlefields.
Best to contact me via [email protected]
Ex biker also. Raced for years. Sold my last bike 4 years ago to when I got a Lotus, (too many toys).

Brian

prowlerman99 said:
Hey Hiway,
I work for the National Park Service at Fredericksburg and Spotsylvania National Military Park. I'll have to take you up on your offer to stop in sometime. I just got my phantom a month ago and have not had decent flying weather to try it out yet. It would be great to have someone experienced for that first flight. Hoping like you to get some good aerial shots of the battlefields, National Cemetery and city of Fredericksburg.
Come on down sometime and I'll give you a tour of our battlefields.
Best to contact me via [email protected]
Ex biker also. Raced for years. Sold my last bike 4 years ago to when I got a Lotus, (too many toys).

Brian

Now that sounds like a plan! I am not too fond of that area... my right side became metal on Rt1 near Telegraph Rd. Maybe I will roll cage and truck it for that visit, lol!

We could meet halfway also if you know folks over at Sky Meadows... that was my families property back in the real old days... pre civil war and the rolling hills out there are prime for flying line of sight if we can have permission to fly there.

I'll shoot an email. Looks like my summer is filling up- fair warning... anyone that does fly with me may show up on one of the episodes of the new youtube channel I am working on... so duck and hide if that America's Most Wanted poster is still hanging in the Post Office... I think I managed to find and destroy all of mine. :twisted:

Hi all, I'm located in the Shenandoah valley area ie new market, luray, harrisonburg, I-81 corridor. I just bought my phantom vision and that cool case to make me look important lol. I love this new tech toy! If anyone's around me or close by hit me up.
Ok I'm off to the mods section, let's see what this puppy can do! -Bruser

Hiway said:
Garymac said:
... I would love to meet some more experienced pilots near the Gainesville/Manassas area of VA to compare notes and fly together.

You are about 40 minutes south of here- if you get in a real bind, gather everything up, put it in your vehicle, and drive over (hit me with a pm first to schedule) and I will smooth you right out as to strict basics- I am far from qualified to help beyond that other than being a demon with a search engine.

Incidentally, you have some killer flying spots if you head straight out 50 and find Sky Meadows State Park... that was my kin's property at one time long ago, and there are some excellent sweeping knolls that allow for some very good line of sight flying for as far as the human eye can follow. The only issue is the hardcore prepper type with high powered rifles and scopes- and with NRA headquarters right down the street, they feel very emboldened in Virginia these days.

they do not allow flying at that park-they chased me out 2 years ago-they said no flying allowed.

nwillitts said:
they do not allow flying at that park-they chased me out 2 years ago-they said no flying allowed.

I must have been lucky then- I flew there twice... but they were brief and all LOS.

Dayum- that is such a great centralized spot too... and the fact it is property of my ancestors made it kind of special; cest la vie.

I am going to start digging up old mates around the WV/VA state ine through the 81 corridor to see who has some land out there... I have connections throughout the country, so I will find something in a decent centralized area around here- I am hoping to meet with officials in Harper's Ferry in the upcoming weeks to see about 2 spots that would be epic for a meet... maybe even a Mid Atlantic Regional meetup thing- I used to organize and plan events for an International non profit, and while I am not too fond of stepping back into the fire, I would if I could get a committee together to turn the reigns over to after the first year... networking for the sake of hobby has to be more fun than for the sake of chore.

On another note- my fpv gear is due today... so I will be finally tearing my v1.1.1 apart and getting it ready for Spring proper.

Garymac, I am also in Gainesville / Haymarket area, and although I'm not a pro by any means, I've gotten close to 50 hours in on my Phantom 2 Vision. It would be great to meet up with you and fly.

The experience is that much more fun when you can share it. I really want to go out to the battlefields in Manassas and get some footage.

I just went to Chapman's Mill last Saturday and shot this with a friend of mine who also has a Phantom.

[youtube] http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fa1_2tkWbMs [/youtube]

If your interested in meeting up, send me a PM and I'll give you my cell phone number.

This board is awesome! I emailed a few of you to see if you guys wanted to meet up sometime and fly.

This weekend I plan to go to the occupied territory of DC and get some footage of the monuments. If anyone else would like to join me, please send me an email or direct message.

I live in Sterling, Va. I had a Phantom 1 and just upgraded to a Phantom 2 with Gimbal and GoPro. Would love to find cool places to film and shoot. Email me at cnewski at ya(hoo) or g(mail)

Eastern panhandle west virginia/VA/MD area here..looking for nice, scenic places to fly the vision!

tizzl10 said:
Eastern panhandle west virginia/VA/MD area here..looking for nice, scenic places to fly the vision!

Seriously? You live in the midst of a ton of great places to fly. Gorgeous places to fly.

Have you gone out to Summit Point and checked if they will allow some filming there? I have not seen anyone tackle that awesome potential yet.

I live near Gettysburg, PA - Looking forward to some decent weather soon!
Anyone planning a get-together in the near future?

Hi Hiway (and no I don't stutter), I'm in Frederick and years ago "VIPed" at Antietam (I have friends that live in town). I am also still Phantom-less for a couple more days (I am expecting delivery Monday evening from B&H). I will need to go through a quick learning process because I want to take my drone to Colorado in a couple weeks. I'm not sure that I could squeeze in a visit to Sharpsburg during that period, but I know that personal "guidance" cold do wonders for a quick study.

Tom

Any of you flyers still active. I have a place on the Potomac between Shepherdstown and Harpers Ferry WV, am headed up there for the next couple of months starting mid Dec. Would enjoy getting to know others in the area

Any of you flyers still active. I have a place on the Potomac between Shepherdstown and Harpers Ferry WV, am headed up there for the next couple of months starting mid Dec. Would enjoy getting to know others in the area

I live down in Front Royal, I could probably be convinced to come up for some new areas to explore.

Im outside of Baltimore. A get together would be great especially in senic Civil War territory!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj