4 propellers came off mid flight

They shouldn't come off. They put locks on them.
I know the inspire has prop locks, but hadn't heard the P3 did as well...all I've read is self tightening - The new P3 props have composite hubs which provides for much more grip on the propeller motor shaft.

...ok then, the sky isn't falling after all...yet

I know the inspire has prop locks, but hadn't heard the P3 did as well...all I've read is self tightening - The new P3 props have composite hubs which provides for much more grip on the propeller motor shaft.

...ok then, the sky isn't falling after all...yet

You are correct sir, I got lost in all the different birds flying in my head... :confused:

Reactions: AmosMoses
I have a few cuckoo's flying around here as well....kids

400+ flights and not a single prop fly off and I only hand tighten..... If they are flying off on the P2 series something is wrong.

Reactions: TeamYankee
400+ flights and not a single prop fly off and I only hand tighten..... If they are flying off on the P2 series something is wrong.

They are flying off and something is wrong or I would own one.
The motors "STOP" so freaking fast that the props depart the Phantom. It may be momentary, or may be the same reason so many P2s are hitting the dirt.

It would be really good to know if the P2s which do the "Death Roll" have wrench tightened props.
As usual with this subject, I am shooting in the dark in my attempt to find out the reasons why the P2 continues to fall out of the sky.

The motors "STOP" so freaking fast that the props depart the Phantom. It may be momentary, or may be the same reason so many P2s are hitting the dirt.

Then the problem is not the props flying off but the motors stopping!

Yep.
The question is, Do the motors restart sometimes and save the bird, or not?

If the props are gone, it really doesn't matter, but if you have used the wrench... maybe the bird will recover.

Well, shucks, the link works for me.

And I hate to contradict, but 4 @ once is not a new problem. I'll edit in a few with the thread.

Here's one:
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/bizarre-phantom-2-crash.28133/
Thank you very much for this link and suggestions on tightening with a wrench. Should I consider another drone brand ? Seems like DJI is the market leader, but my confidence has taken a big knock ! I see elsewhere on these forums that a there are many "unexplained" crashes. Are we perhaps just "early adopters" of this technology who have to accept that it is as yet imperfect ?

Thank you very much for this link and suggestions on tightening with a wrench. Should I consider another drone brand ? Seems like DJI is the market leader, but my confidence has taken a big knock ! I see elsewhere on these forums that a there are many "unexplained" crashes. Are we perhaps just "early adopters" of this technology who have to accept that it is as yet imperfect ?

You are welcome. Tightening your props with the wrench is the best suggestion I have found to offer.

I can't suggest any other products, because I have not tried them.
We are "early adopters" or, "pioneers in the field" and the technology is, in my opinion, beyond the understanding of the manufacturers. It's close, or we wouldn't be flying, but it's still not perfected... I can't wait for the day when they know exactly what they are producing. ;)

150 flights and never had a prop even come loose much less fly off. Hand tighten only. Wrench is in the box in the closet for a year. And I fly plenty hard. Full throttle to no throttle in ATTI often. Just my experience. Mine is a v2. Has anyone ever heard of a v2 prop coming off problem? Not me. Seems like a v3 problem, AND these v3s have a history of motor and ESC problems. My $0.02

150 flights and never had a prop even come loose much less fly off. Hand tighten only. Wrench is in the box in the closet for a year. And I fly plenty hard. Full throttle to no throttle in ATTI often. Just my experience. Mine is a v2. Has anyone ever heard of a v2 prop coming off problem? Not me. Seems like a v3 problem, AND these v3s have a history of motor and ESC problems. My $0.02

I agree. I think it would be neat to compile all props flying off and model. I feel you wont see any v2, only a few v3 with 2.0 or earlier ESC, and the majority on v3 with 2.1 ESC. That is why I compiled potential proof and causal reason and sent it to dji for analysis. Interesting that my bug report is the ONLY one out of hundreds, and only one from months ago, not yet assigned to a tech.... not even a 'your wrong, bug report closed' reply.... I think this says something....

Been flying over a year now and almost everyday if I could and have only hand spin mine on . Never had a issue and have had a set of the 2313 motors .
Guess me be bad lucky with that one :eek:

The props can only come off a P2 if the motors stop suddenly. There was a thread here last year where this happened with photos showing a cold solder joint on the main board where the wire from the battery contacts broke loose.

As said before, props come off when the motor stops suddenly. whether the prop is over torque with the wrench only means that you will still have the props attached after the crash.

The props can only come off a P2 if the motors stop suddenly. There was a thread here last year where this happened with photos showing a cold solder joint on the main board where the wire from the battery contacts broke loose.

As said before, props come off when the motor stops suddenly. whether the prop is over torque with the wrench only means that you will still have the props attached after the crash.
Ya Got Me.jpg
:D

I was always intrigued by DJI's startling discovery that screw threads are "self-tightening". Well of course they are . . . just so long as the torque is in the correct direction - otherwise they are self-loosening.

While testing crash scenarios with my phantom tethered on a 12-foot nylon string, I had a hardish landing in the wind and one prop came off. I investigated as best I could.

The accompanying photographs suggest that as the plastic arm hit the ground, it flexed and the aperture for the motor became oval. This pinched the motor to a sudden stop, and the inertia of the prop forced it to unscrew itself.

There are incontravertible "witness marks" in the form of plastic shavings as the motor rubbed against the now oval hole.

I always tighten my props with the spanner. If they are only "finger tight" I suggest they could unscrew themselves if the motor suffers a hiccough from the ESC.

Best b.jpg
Best a.jpg

said this once or twice before but if the force of motor stopping is so great and causing props to come off

A) Woukdn't it just crash anyways..as others have said
b) wouldnt the force still undo wrench tightened prop. Its not like doing it up with wrech does it up that much extra... forces involved to undo much be huge.. cant see how the extra half mm the wrench tightens coukd help much.

does this problem onmy happen to v3 owners?
Ive got non v3 with 2312s and ESC 2.1.. 200 flights doing crazy aero stuff (well crazy as you can do not in manual mode) and still good.. obviously could happen tomorrow but I doubt so happy to keep going Witjout wrench.

Also how is the prop flying off the problem? Surely motor stoppkng is real issue... ?

I bought the dji phantom V2+ about 8 weeks ago. Flew it about 10 times with no issues. Yesterday I was taking photos of a friends house. Altitude varied from 30 - 120 feet. Had flown for about 10 minutes and photos were excellent. I was hovering at about 60 feet deciding whether we were finished when suddenly all 4 propellers blew off the copter and it plummeted to the ground. Totally destroyed.

Dealer says he has never heard of this, and it is not really possible. (Well it happened to me.)

Anybody got any ideas ?
It's happened to a few other pilots before.
There have been reports that a bug in the ESC can cause a momentary current reversal in the motors causing them to momentarily slow down hard, stop or even reverse direction.
But only for a fraction of a second as you throttle down from full.
It's happened to some users who's subsequent crash was not too bad and the Phantom flew perfectly normal after the incident. No sign of bad motor or ESC.
I'll provide a link if I can find the thread again.
http://www.phantompilots.com/threads/urgent-tighten-your-props-with-wrench.36945/#post-341471

In any case, since we can't do much about that problem or any other potential problem that might cause a sudden motor stop, all we can do is tighten the props and hope that the motor stop is only momentary. IMO it's better to crash with the props still attached. If the props are gone there's no hope of recovery from a short duration problem.

Last edited:
again... if the force involved to undo is so great will the wrench do anything?

Im not saying its not happening, don't get me wrong. I can see in alot of threads it is, and we cant say pilot error is a factor but my question is just is the wrench still going to do anything to hold it on? fair enough it wont hurt to use wrench and only takes 5 seconds but I just question the 'fix'...i.e "tighten with wrench". If the only arguments are "well i use wrench and mine havnt gone off"... i and others can say the opposite.

No way to say for sure. But using the wrench will probably help and it can't hurt. Unless you over-tighten and break the prop.
Certainly the more torque you apply to tighten the prop, the more reverse torque it will be able to take before flying off.
So why not give 'em a bit of torque when you put them on? The wench is small and it doesn't take much time.

I almost always just spin them on with a quick flick. Don't even hand tighten. Flew dozens of times, no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav