3S 5200 mah lipo battery. Anyone tryed it?

Reaction score
I saw that the battery weight is 396 gr.
Now that my fpv system with my arris gimbal flies no more than 5 minutes I think I need something like this.
What do you guys think?

Where are you going to put it? I have had some success with these but its a tight fit in the battery compartment.

lpb-112730-big.jpg

At least it was until my battery door just broke off :eek: not related to the battery as it just broke as I was putting in a stock battery, glad it didnt happen in flight but I have DIY'd a safer door for now that fits all my batteries easily.

Only 217g and extra 500mah which gets just over a minute more flight time for me. Going that large you will need to mount in external and the extra weight will likely take up most of the extra battery life, if you want to get one and give it a go then let us know how it turns out.

My idea is hold it using velcro.
Although first of all I want to try with two "standard" (2200mah x 2) battery holding them phantom's landing gears, using a parallel cable.
Anyone did it?

First off you have to check the maximum weight which I believe is around 1200 grams. So if the 5200 mAh put it over the weight limit, you will get even less flying time or perhaps won't even light off.
As for dual 2x2200 packs someone did that, see below:

Leg_zps6e5b9cf6.jpg

With the legs above in conjunction with the dual pack door below:

Phantom_Battery-door21_zps8dc196ba.jpg

You get something like below:

image_1_zps8b42d60e.jpg

image_2_zps2908a885.jpg

You may want to check Shapeways for more information.

Thanks Tanasit.
I knew about shapeways, but I'm trying to find out what option would be the best option to get a longer flight. A bigger proppeler would help? Any idea? I saw people flying a cuadcopter for almost 40 minutes!! Could we do anything similar to this with our phantom? I hope so!!

40 minutes just wont ever happen even 15 minutes is highly unlikely, the props are going to struggle lifting much beyond 1.2kg and so most weight beyond that will drastically reduce flight times. Adding more battery wont give you linear scaling in terms of battery life. Once you get too heavy the motors have to work extra hard to keep it airborne and so you may get even shorter fly time with a 5000mah battery then the stock battery. At best you may get a couple minutes more but it will fly much worse and add lots of strain to the frame as its not designed to lift so much weight. If you want a multirotor for long flt times you will need to make your own as light as possible with a larger battery, bigger frame, different motors and props.

So, no hope with phantom for longer flights? Even if I get diferent propellers and motors in my phantom?

You can get longer flights but nowhere near 40 minutes and it completely depends on weight and lift. I have found some props that are getting me about 2 to 3 minutes longer fly time combined with all my others over a completely stock phantom.

But as I use fpv and a camera the added weight just gets me back close to what you get out of the phantom fully stock with no camera. I lost about 3 minutes adding the extra gear but I have managed to get them back with the 2700mah battery 9050 triblade props and tiger motors mt2216 motors. Even the motors themselves are more efficient then stock motors but a little heavier so it nearly balances out but I found they work great with the much higher lift props so this means it uses less power overall at my weight but it takes the larger battery to get 12 minutes fly time and about 10 minutes on stock 2200mah. Using fpv is about 30 seconds shorter as those times are without my fpv but that only adds about 70g to weight and consumes a bit more battery for the tx. I dont have a gimbal yet and they seem to take a couple minutes off most peoples flight time.

I think it would be possible to get about 15 minutes flight time out of the phantom with no camera or fpv, but I assume the main reason you want longer flight times is for video use and extra equipment. As this all adds weight there is only so much you can physically do and you cant win the battle over physics with copters, they cant glide so every gram must be lifted by the motors and props at all times.

Kind of like tricking out a Honda civic. At some point you realize it's still a Civic and you should have just bought a better car for less money. If you really want to lift weight but have the friendly flying character of the Phantom then go up a step to DJIs Flamewheel series of 450 or 550. Two to three time the price but lots of strength to carry big batteries, gimbals and up to dslr cameras for more video options. Not hugely bigger, but stronger frame, more customizable, and with real programming options too to set waypoints, hold shots etc for very controlled video. When my Phantom eventually goes to that heliport in the sky I will replace it with a real lifter and not something we all tweak to squeeze out every gram of lift and seconds of flying time.

want longer flight times add a helium balloon to your quad. I'm seriously thinking about trying one just for times I'd like to film longer.

I set my timer for 5 minutes and start heading back, adding a larger battery really doesn't help enough to warrant expense.

Building a TBS Discovery to carry all I need and only expect to gain a few extra minutes.

BruceTS said:
want longer flight times add a helium balloon to your quad. I'm seriously thinking about trying one just for times I'd like to film longer.

I set my timer for 5 minutes and start heading back, adding a larger battery really doesn't help enough to warrant expense.

Building a TBS Discovery to carry all I need and only expect to gain a few extra minutes.

Helium balloon? Gosh....
And how are you gonna keep it safe from the props?
It looks really danger.....

I was told by my local rc shop that the upgrade from the phantom to 550 is relatively cheap. You just need to transplant all of the components. 550 frame around $300 he reckoned. I will look into when I need more time or want to run different gear. Phantom performs very well and is more transportable.

boat chaser said:
I was told by my local rc shop that the upgrade from the phantom to 550 is relatively cheap. You just need to transplant all of the components. 550 frame around $300 he reckoned. I will look into when I need more time or want to run different gear. Phantom performs very well and is more transportable.

I already have 6 motors ready to go to a 550, 4 I am using atm. All I will need is ESC's frame and GPS module, I am going to change my radio to a Futaba soon for my phantom before moving to a 550, the 550 will be my heavy lifter and I will get another small quad for some fun fast FPV flying.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic