3rd Annual AMA Model Aviation Day - August 15th

Will you be attending any Model Aviation Day events?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

LuvMyTJ

Admin
Premium Pilot
Reaction score
Join the Academy of Model Aeronautics Foundation in celebrating model aviation for the third annual National Model Aviation Day, August 15, 2015. National Model Aviation Day was created to encourage clubs to celebrate the hobby and share it with the public. Our chartered clubs have also been asked to conduct a fundraiser to provide assistance to a worthy cause. For the third year in a row, all club efforts will support the Wounded Warrior Project. Together, approximately 200 of AMA’s clubs have contributed a total of $176,000 to support the Wounded Warrior Project’s full range of programs and services for this generation of injured veterans and their families.

Find an event near you - http://nationalmodelaviationday.org/find-an-event/

Looks like ours will be in Gulfport and not a bad place to be in August !
Will have to see what the first of the month brings and never been
to any events so maybe it's time to attend one ! :)
Hope they like quads down there :D

Being a fairly new member, I haven't really looked through their website too much. More than a few here say they're not really friendly to "drones". Is this true overall? Are they including them in any of these events?

Don't know myself snerd but me taking my blank stare with me so they better :D
We will just have to educate em if they don't !
Really as much as our hobby has grown I would think they
would have changed from the older days .

Just found a club near here. Pretty old-school, looks like. They have a few videos up, all fixed-wing and/or heli's. One guy hooked up a video cam to the underneath of his plane........... video was so shaky you can't hardly watch it lol!! I'll poke around some more.

The AMA magazine has plenty of UAV ads in it and they are warming up to them. Being new-ish and all the bad publicity they bring you can understand their resistance to them. I think in a few years they will be a normal part of most RC air events.

Reactions: dirkclod
The AMA magazine has plenty of UAV ads in it and they are warming up to them. Being new-ish and all the bad publicity they bring you can understand their resistance to them. I think in a few years they will be a normal part of most RC air events.
Good to hear. Not sure I'm ready to show up unannounced with my Phantom 3 just yet, though!

Rapid City SD, will be the closest for me. The Rapid City Propbusters will be hosting their "Low Down Huckfest" that weekend, if the website is correct.

http://www.rcpropbuster.com/

Cool thread, Thanks TJ... :D:D

Reactions: dirkclod
I joined the AMA pro-actively on a temporary basis, but if the clubs aren't open to drones just yet then maybe my $20 donation was premature. I like the purpose and idea of community that the AMA brings, and having drones in the mix could definitely be fun for these old-school guys showing off their planes and copters on our drone's cinematography capabilities.

Better yet, why not create our own AMA 'drone' clubs?

Reactions: LuvMyTJ
I joined the AMA pro-actively on a temporary basis, but if the clubs aren't open to drones just yet then maybe my $20 donation was premature. I like the purpose and idea of community that the AMA brings, and having drones in the mix could definitely be fun for these old-school guys showing off their planes and copters on our drone's cinematography capabilities.

Better yet, why not create our own AMA 'drone' clubs?
I think you will find quadcopter's are becoming more accepted as they become more popular.
By the way, it is a pleasure to welcome you to the Phantom Pilots forum unclejas. I hope that you will take advantage of the benefits that come with membership and that you will be able to use the forum for the exchange of innovative ideas and as a resource for current developments in Phantom quadcopter’s. Enjoy the forum.

Thanks @LuvMyTJ,

I was torn between the features of the P3P and the 3DR Solo. I thought about it for a few months and bought my new P3P on 7/3 this year. I joined here on 7/4. I have watched hours of videos and spent days reading all I can here on phantompilots.com. Actually, I'm at work right now on my lunch break. I've learned a lot and want to thank the community here for that. THANK YOU ALL!

I am a network engineer for a major utility. I've become an old-timer in the tech arena however, as my first computer was a Radio Shack Trash 80. I've been looking for a new hobby and I can tell you all now, I've found one. My dad intends to get a copter soon too. My background with RC vehicles is just your homemade RC car. I've built quite a few of those. I'm addicted though. UAVs are a lot of fun.

I've taken my copter with me on all my outings. I've flown 20+ missions so far and operate within the guidelines set by the FAA. I look forward to meeting other responsible pilots, learning from, and growing our hobby.

Just as an aside, and remove if you think it proper, but being a Wounded Warrior myself, there are many other organizations the AMA could support other than the bloated WWP.

WWP spent just 58% of their intake donations on programs and direct assistance compared to someone like Fisher House spending 95% of their donations.

This is one of the better articles out there which gives direct links and references to what's going on with the WWP. They started out doing well, but once the money really started coming in, bloat and greed has, IMO, redirected them from helping the maximum amount of service members to service members being placed a distant third.

Since this is so near and dear to my heart, I won't go or support the AMA myself. Also, the founder of WWP is a staunch anti-2nd Amendment guy which makes the WWP something I cannot support due tot hat alone.

I respect your opinion and I thank you for your service to this great country. I do find it strange that you won't have anything to do with the AMA because they give to a specific cause you don't believe in? Wouldn't a more positive approach be to get involved with AMA and help to open their eyes to the charities that do more good? You could be the driving force of change but if you decide to turn away instead, you have done nothing for positive change and things go on as usual.

I respect your opinion and I thank you for your service to this great country. I do find it strange that you won't have anything to do with the AMA because they give to a specific cause you don't believe in? Wouldn't a more positive approach be to get involved with AMA and help to open their eyes to the charities that do more good? You could be the driving force of change but if you decide to turn away instead, you have done nothing for positive change and things go on as usual.

I have a very limited amount of energy in a given day at this point. Having a TBI and other issues ongoing, I need to focus my energies on things I CAN do something about.

Right now, the WWP and the involvement by the AMA seems very overwhelming. Hopefully, I'll get my **** together in the near future and be able to do something more than what I'm able too at this point.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic