3dRobotics thoughts?

Reaction score
I read an article today about 3DRobotics, so I looked up some of their 'copters. Pretty nice looking, anyone have any experience with them?

One thing that gave me pause about them is the 10-15 minute flight time. I know that's pretty typical for 'copters, so how did DJI get the PV2 and PV2+ to achieve such a dramatic increase in flight time? After flying my PV2+. I don't think there's any way I could go to something that only gave me 10-15 minutes in the air at a time...

Sorry, not really on your topic, but I only get about 16-18 minutes of flight time on my Phantom 2 Vision+, but I don't run the battery past about 25%. I couldn't imagine getting 25 minutes. Maybe I fly in more wind than most and the Phantom's burning energy fighting that. I did fly at least once when still though and I still didn't get even 20 minutes if I recall (again keeping some battery reserve).

I'm looking at 3dRobotics right now and that 3dr rtf x8 looks awesome (features)!

robininni said:
I only get about 16-18 minutes of flight time on my Phantom 2 Vision+, but I don't run the battery past about 25%. I couldn't imagine getting 25 minutes. Maybe I fly in more wind than most and the Phantom's burning energy fighting that. I did fly at least once when still though and I still didn't get even 20 minutes if I recall (again keeping some battery reserve).
DJI uses the same 25 minute figure for the vision, the p2, the p2 h3-3d and the vision +. But these all have dramatically different weights. The p2 and the vision are the lightest (least payload) and you can hit 25 minutes with a naked p2, and maybe 25 on a vision running it way past 90%. There's no way to realistically get 25 minutes on a gimbaled phantom with the 5200mah battery.

Well, I bet someone somewhere has done it on these configs, but it's not really a realistic figure to shoot for regularly.

ElGuano said:
robininni said:
I only get about 16-18 minutes of flight time on my Phantom 2 Vision+, but I don't run the battery past about 25%. I couldn't imagine getting 25 minutes. Maybe I fly in more wind than most and the Phantom's burning energy fighting that. I did fly at least once when still though and I still didn't get even 20 minutes if I recall (again keeping some battery reserve).
DJI uses the same 25 minute figure for the vision, the p2, the p2 h3-3d and the vision +. But these all have dramatically different weights. The p2 and the vision are the lightest (least payload) and you can hit 25 minutes with a naked p2, and maybe 25 on a vision running it way past 90%. There's no way to realistically get 25 minutes on a gimbaled phantom with the 5200mah battery.

Well, I bet someone somewhere has done it on these configs, but it's not really a realistic figure to shoot for regularly.

Oh, okay, well thanks for explaining that. I was happy with what I was getting, but I never considered the 25 minutes was really not even attainable with a phantom 2 vision+, I thought it was my local flying conditions.

malacca said:
I read an article today about 3DRobotics, so I looked up some of their 'copters. Pretty nice looking, anyone have any experience with them?

One thing that gave me pause about them is the 10-15 minute flight time. I know that's pretty typical for 'copters, so how did DJI get the PV2 and PV2+ to achieve such a dramatic increase in flight time? After flying my PV2+. I don't think there's any way I could go to something that only gave me 10-15 minutes in the air at a time...

Looks ugly

Yep, it's all about payload and weight. 3d robotics has some awesome quality products with carbon fiber, able to carry a nice DSLR on an expensive gimbal.. but there is a price to pay in terms of flight time and cost.

You can't compare a phantom with a watered down Naza to a pixhawk controlled 3d robotics multirotor. No comparison. You get greater expansion with i2c ports , it works, ground station software blows dji shyte away. Open source, optical sensors...

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic