3DR Solo

where can i get a instruction manual for the 3DR solo?

Hope you never have to live through a flyaway. At least with the 3DR, everything is recorded. I suspect there is a reason DJI didn't go that route with the P3. Easier to blame the pilot with no evidence. Saying the 3DR is in the same class as the P2 is just silly fan boy talk. I wish you the best of luck because if your phantom ever flies away, without the flight data, you will need it.
I agree, solo is one step ahead of the Phantom now.

Hmm ... Solo doesn't even have a release date and there is very little information on how it performs.
The first P3s have been shipped from the factory and plenty of people have been able to test them and report on how they performed.
So how exactly is the Solo one step ahead?

Having lived through a flyaway, having the flight data right now would make all the difference. I would be able to:

1) Know for sure that it was a failure of the copter, at which point I would have a new system and GoPro on the way, OR
2) Know what I did wrong, that I would be able to correct next time.

So for me, it's a no brainer which direction I will be going. Just going to have to wait and see which company delivers the new model. To be fair, right now all we have from 3DR are promises. I do suspect that they have the backing of GoPro. I suspect that if they are successful, GoPro will be buying them up. DJI has dropped GoPro, and 3DR doesn't even offer their own camera. The battle lines are clear. For me right now, the choice is obvious. But, we need to see what happens.

Hmm ... Solo doesn't even have a release date and there is very little information on how it performs.
The first P3s have been shipped from the factory and plenty of people have been able to test them and report on how they performed.

Blackbox, 2 CPUs with 1GHz off the Flight controllers, 3 IMUs and barometers for more accuracy and redundancy, want more?

The redundancy itself and the blackbox and the warranty already worths the price, they will give you another aircraft, gimbal and gopro is it crashes and its not your fault...Good luck trying to get that from DJI.

Hobbyist are looking for modularity and DFE (design for expansion) to continue their tinkering, modding, and customizing .
The SOLO seems to represent those notions with an 'expansion bay' and open-souce code.
(Aside for the seemingly proprietary battery)

The Pixhawk's 4 on board sensors:

>MPU6000- main accel and gyro
>ST Micro 16-bit gyroscope
>ST Micro 14-bit accelerometer/magnetometer
>MEAS barometer

provide redundant gyros and accelerometers.

DJI has decided to close-off the Phantom's ecosystem making it difficult going forward for hobbyists to experiment but is GREAT for photogs or folks who just want the ease of an RTF flying camera.

Hobbyist are looking for modularity and DFE (design for expansion) to continue their tinkering, modding, and customizing .
The SOLO seems to represent those notions with an 'expansion bay' and open-souce code.
(Aside for the seemingly proprietary battery)

The Pixhawk's 4 on board sensors:

>MPU6000- main accel and gyro
>ST Micro 16-bit gyroscope
>ST Micro 14-bit accelerometer/magnetometer
>MEAS barometer

provide redundant gyros and accelerometers.

DJI has decided to close-off the Phantom's ecosystem making it difficult going forward for hobbyists to experiment but is GREAT for photogs or folks who just want the ease of an RTF flying camera.

I agree with this 100% and will add I think there is a much larger group of "photogs or folks who just want the ease of an RTF flying" than there are "hobbyist" out there.

On another forum in the 3DR Solo thread there is this huge argument where they used the analogy of Apple vs Android where DJI is apple and Solo is android. Personally I think the analogy was spot on !

Really, same people testing out the I1 prior to its release....this will be interesting.

I got what you're trying to do. It's fine, I thought you were more intelligent than that...

FWIW, all contributors to these Solo threads own DJI products. Most are looking for something better than what we've experienced to date. Your comments are belittling to other member's intelligence and unfortunately it shows us your level for same.

Now that was funny.....
But true.

A few hundred dollars more for redundant computer systems, a black box, and inflight control over the GoPro 4, an arguably better camera than the DJI cam, and several other features puts the SOLO in a different class.

Reactions: dmiles
this is what i am going to use to help locate a flyaway if it ever happens.
the small thing in the middle with the long skinney antenna is the transmitter.
the box with handle and larger antenna is the reciever.
this has a 30 mile range in the air and 3 mile range on the ground.
weight of the transmitter is 8.5 grams.
i use this in all my free flight models all of the time.
haven't lost one in years.

Do you have any links that show people out there testing the P3? I've googled it, and haven't found anything. I really would like to see the P3 in action.
Meanwhile......
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A friend brought over his 3DR Iris Plus the other day and I had the chance to fly it. It was very windy and I would not have launched a Phantom in those conditions. He said the Iris would be fine and he was right. It was rock solid. I was very impressed with the Android app. It was easy to set waypoints The transmitter was very nice as well it had telemetry and voice notifications, 9 channels and was programmable.
I have had two Phantoms. I have built three quads and one hexcopter using NAZA controllers. I have had four flyaways, all recovered. After flying a quad with the Pixhawk controller, I will never use another NAZA.
I am sure the Solo will be awesome. I just wish it did not have a proprietary battery. I may buy one after they have been out for awhile.

Meanwhile......
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.
...this looks like it's gonna be fun.....

The Solo is shipping out late May and there still isn't any raw footage from the camera anywhere to be seen. I will bet my left nut (because I already lost my right) that the footage is unstable and not comparable to the P3, which has 3DR S&$#$ting bricks, scrambling to resolve the issue before the launch. Why else would they not release any footage when that is the major selling point for any camera, flying or not. And they do advertise it as a flying camera.

In a side by side comparison, stable video will win. just sayin'.

Reactions: Dan Fonseca
A friend brought over his 3DR Iris Plus the other day and I had the chance to fly it. It was very windy and I would not have launched a Phantom in those conditions. He said the Iris would be fine and he was right. It was rock solid. I was very impressed with the Android app. It was easy to set waypoints The transmitter was very nice as well it had telemetry and voice notifications, 9 channels and was programmable.
I have had two Phantoms. I have built three quads and one hexcopter using NAZA controllers. I have had four flyaways, all recovered. After flying a quad with the Pixhawk controller, I will never use another NAZA.
I am sure the Solo will be awesome. I just wish it did not have a proprietary battery. I may buy one after they have been out for awhile.

Wow. I hope I have the same reaction when I try the SOLO! It's always a good thing when you discover something new and better. I hope the gimbal is equally impressive.

As for the batteries, maybe they won't lock out alternatives like DJI does. That's one of my big issues with DJI. If their batteries actually lasted I would have less of an issue being locked into a closed system.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31