3DR Solo

Already got for purchase order approval for the Solo, but Ilike GoodnNuff, we will keep our Phantom in the sky too.

awesome.

3drobotics is a company founded in méxico, by mexicans and based in méxico (at least one of their facilities) and the irony is that they cant sell/ship their products to méxico...

ill have to wait until i fly to u.s. and buy one at a best buy...

That's what I would have liked the Phantom 3 to be, as well as seeing DJI commit to customer service. I really don't like the idea of a proprietary camera that costs half the price of the drone to replace.
Now we know why they threw in light bridge for free.
I like the solo, a lot.

awesome.

3drobotics is a company founded in méxico, by mexicans and based in méxico (at least one of their facilities)

Utter nonsense. The only fact is that one of their factories is in Tijuana. And they are not alone there:

http://articles.latimes.com/2013/nov/29/business/la-fi-overseas-manufacturing-20131130

Here are the facts:

http://www.inc.com/will-yakowicz/35-under-35-jordi-munoz-co-founder-3d-robotics.html

http://3drobotics.com/bios/

Last I checked Chris Anderson, one of the founders of 3DR, is an American, born and bred. The other founder, who was born in Mexico and grew up there, was living in Riverside, California when Anderson noticed his work and they formed 3DR .

I just placed my order for the SOLO and the gimbal.
I think I'll sale my Iris+ (keep the Phantoms of course) as well.
3DR's customer support is incredible.
I bought the Iris+ this past January at a Fry's store. My second flight it dropped from the sky at 60 meters and was in pieces. Downloaded the flight data from the SD card (their "black box" data recorder) and sent it to 3DR. It was a failure of the ESC. Sent the pieces back and a week later a brand new Iris+ was at my door.
I had some challenges with getting the drone connected to enable software updates, setting changes, etc. Called customer support and within moments was talking to a fantastic young woman in tech support who took me step by step through the settings I needed to tweak or change.

DJI is going to have to step up their game to compete with 3DR, Yuneec, and a few of the other new contenders coming along. I think they will.

Where did you preorder the gimbal? I was able to order the SOLO at B&H but haven't seen the gimbal anywhere yet. Thanks!

Thank you! I've done business with B&H before with no issues. How does dslrpros compare? Any opinions on which would be the prefered place to purchase?

I can't comment on the service from DSLRpros, I've never done business with them. I just know that B&H and DSLRpros are the two places doing pre-orders for the Solo and DSLRpros is offering the gimbal.

Other retailers will be selling in May I believe. I'm probably going to wait until May myself to order. The bird looks great but I still want to see specs.

Reactions: RichWest
Wonder how much the batteries will be? Also, the controller looks quite different from the Phantom in operational controls (joysticks only move side to side?). The automation is great but will there be precise manual control for seat-of-your-pants flying? What additional hardware is required (and how much) for indoor flying?

"Also if the flight logs show the drone was lost or damaged due to a system error, 3DR will immediately repair or replace everything, including your camera." What's that worth? Top speed of 55 mph? Pretty tempting.

Where did you preorder the gimbal? I was able to order the SOLO at B&H but haven't seen the gimbal anywhere yet. Thanks!

Through my local RC Hobby store. They didn't have an ETA, just that it would be released in May. I was the third person to order the SOLO and gimbal, I was told.

somewhere??? I read the range on the solo wasn't as good as the phantom, maybe in the P3 section??

what I don't like about lots of drones is the need for an OEM battery. phantom, bebop etc. I suspect the profit is in battery sales??.

Wow. If only half of this is true, it could be a game changer. Finally, an alternative which will give DJI a run for the money.

That's what I would have liked the Phantom 3 to be, as well as seeing DJI commit to customer service. I really don't like the idea of a proprietary camera that costs half the price of the drone to replace.
Now we know why they threw in light bridge for free.
I like the solo, a lot.

Looks like 3DR is competing with DJI.
Unfortunately for 3DR they are competing with the P2 series and just aren't in the race against the P3.
Twice the price for less features - unbeatable value proposition.

Awfully impressive..I could purchase two of these for the less than one DJI Inspire and still capture 4K with my go pro
Or .. you could buy 2 P3 Advanced for less than one 3DR Solo + gimbal + Hero 4 black and be way, way ahead.

Honestly with all the hype around both birds, I'll wait for both to be out before making a judgement or assumptions on either. At this point however I'm leaning Solo, mainly for the fact it appears to be modular by design and the warranty. It really is the best of both worlds RTF and DIY upgradeable. Further, I've always said I'd pay more for better quality and here it is. If this holds true, then you P3'ers will be solving problems and I'll be flying and adding abilities to my platform.

The one feature that would get me to jump on Solo or P3 quickly is if I saw numerous pilots achieving quality jello-free footage without hours of f*cking around with gains, dampeners, filters, calibrations, post-processing, etc. Jello Jihad has been a huge time sink for me.

Short of that, I'll likely sit back and watch others on both Solo and P3, and stick with my P3/H4-3D/H4B/Flytrex.

Kelly

The one feature that would get me to jump on Solo or P3 quickly is if I saw numerous pilots achieving quality jello-free footage without hours of f*cking around with gains, dampeners, filters, calibrations, post-processing, etc. Jello Jihad has been a huge time sink for me.

Short of that, I'll likely sit back and watch others on both Solo and P3, and stick with my P3/H4-3D/H4B/Flytrex.

Kelly

I read on another forum that the footage from the Solo had jello. Though they said it was a pre-production gimbal which had not been balanced correctly! I never really understand these "pre-production" excuses companies use. Surely by the time a product is ready to demo any fundamental issues should have been sorted. And if anything you would expect they would really tweak any demo craft to truly show the best you could expect! So I fear that jello might still rear its ugly head! Still at least the GoPro on the Solo had a nice little hood fitted- suggesting that adding ND filters make be easier than for the H3 3D or perhaps not!

somewhere??? I read the range on the solo wasn't as good as the phantom, maybe in the P3 section??

I think they are recognizing that all current and all proposed sUAS rules in the US restrict flying to visual line of sight. Hence they see no reason to build a device that allows operation outside the legal framework for flying.

what I don't like about lots of drones is the need for an OEM battery. phantom, bebop etc. I suspect the profit is in battery sales??.

Agreed. This annoys the hell out of me. There are multitudes of fantastic low cost lipos in the world, but the aircraft makers seem intent on locking us into a proprietary, and expensive, battery system. If the packs work well and last a long time, then that may be OK, but DJI packs have proven to be crap.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4