3DR Solo - Leaked Specs & Pics

There's a lot here. If the gimbal is smooth, the vibration as little as possible and it flies as smoothly as the P2, I'll be getting one for sure.

That said BlackMagic just came out with a new micro 4/3 camera which could be a game changer as well. It's a real camera. Probably close in quality to the Panny GH4 but doesn't need an S900 sized spaceship to work. Could probably work on a small to mid-sized hex. Images will probably be stunning. It has a built-in S.BUS connection to be remote controlled. It's the first real camera designed for drone use.

https://www.blackmagicdesign.com/products/blackmagicmicrocinemacamera

I am drooling over it.

Apparently the Solo's max. payload is around 800g. The Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera weighs in
around 300g. So if a gimbal was produced around a similar weight, and you used a light lens, the Solo +
BMMCC could be a real possibility! Especially considering the expansion capabilities both the BMMCC and Solo have.

This open approach 3DR are taking could definitely take some market share away from DJI.

I'm also drooling at the BMMCC's 13 stop DR capabilities, this is certainly what I need and if I can work with a portable airframe with decent endurance, I'll be all over it.

Watching with interest.

There are pretty small pancake lenses so it all comes down to the gimbal. I am thinking something like a 550 frame will be more stable and not that much bigger. Then you can easily accommodate things like lightbridge, etc.

I really don't see the Solo capable of anything the P3P isnt, except the higher 120 FPS video of the GoPro. Otherwise, its just a follower a new line of quads

I really don't see the Solo capable of anything the P3P isnt, except the higher 120 FPS video of the GoPro. Otherwise, its just a follower a new line of quads
It's actually a far inferior machine when it comes to range, reliability, features and market readiness.

As far as the GoPro it will take months before we figure out exactly what works properly through the app (are all modes supported reliably, do the legs get in the shot, etc.)....since not a single end user has yet to receive and fly a complete Solo.

As others have mentioned - best to wait 3-6 months and look again.

Apparently the Solo's max. payload is around 800g. The Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera weighs in
around 300g.
Watching with interest.

Solo payload according to the manufacturer is 420 grams.
"Max payload: 420 g"

This is so far under that required for something like the BM as to make it impossible to reliably fly.
This doesn't even figure in the size - the BM is fairly large and a gimbal would be big also...

No pilot of any experience would attempt to fly a 2K+ camera (BM with lens and gimbal) with a consumer drone designed for 1/2 of that payload.

If you want a BM it's because you are a pro. If you are a pro you should consider some of the bigger hex models which are actually capable of easily flying a Kilo and more.

All Colin needs to do is create something that will compete with DJI lightbridge. Im not going to lie, this was the determining factor why I bought a DJI product.

So, dollar for dollar, I am seeing no contest. Not even close.

I understand that some can't keep the phantom running and want a change. Good for them, and their wallets.

By the time you spend $1000.00 for the airframe and how much for the camera, you could have two P3S?

It seems like more vaporware, we are going to make a flying submarine (ref. voyage to the bottom of the sea TV series) or a flying car (ref. any popular mechanics mag from 1945 to 1968)

One thing no one can say about DJI is that they do not have thousands and thousands of units in the air every day that land without damage to equipment or people and bring back stunning video for a reasonable price.

I want more, but I am happy with what I have, Thanks DJI, YOU RULE!!

So, dollar for dollar, I am seeing no contest. Not even close.

I understand that some can't keep the phantom running and want a change. Good for them, and their wallets.

By the time you spend $1000.00 for the airframe and how much for the camera, you could have two P3S?

It seems like more vaporware, we are going to make a flying submarine (ref. voyage to the bottom of the sea TV series) or a flying car (ref. any popular mechanics mag from 1945 to 1968)

One thing no one can say about DJI is that they do not have thousands and thousands of units in the air every day that land without damage to equipment or people and bring back stunning video for a reasonable price.

I want more, but I am happy with what I have, Thanks DJI, YOU RULE!!

Don't be so **** sure about that. Those aren't new ones waiting for assembly.
DJI Boneyard.jpg

There's a lot here. If the gimbal is smooth, the vibration as little as possible and it flies as smoothly as the P2, I'll be getting one for sure.

That said BlackMagic just came out with a new micro 4/3 camera which could be a game changer as well. It's a real camera. Probably close in quality to the Panny GH4 but doesn't need an S900 sized spaceship to work. Could probably work on a small to mid-sized hex. Images will probably be stunning. It has a built-in S.BUS connection to be remote controlled. It's the first real camera designed for drone use.

Blackmagic Design: Blackmagic Micro Cinema Camera

I am drooling over it.
I would get a SOLO if it had the range and ability of the P3 Lightbridge.

I would get a SOLO if it had the range and ability of the P3 Lightbridge.
Range, camera, reliability, control (in app) and everything else.......is lacking. So, for twice the price you get about 1/2 the copter.

As someone else said - it's not even close. One survey taken said that only about 15% of buyers would spend over $1500 for a quadcopter - which puts 85% of us (we) buyers out of the ballpark.

Meantime, most Solo flyers can't even get stable video - even 6 months after launch.
The model is selling very poorly and IMHO we will likely not see it around too much longer (in present form). Something has to give...

3DR had the chance to get perhaps 10% of the market - that combined with their other biz could have been $150 million per year for starters. But they failed to launch properly and now they will be lucky to do 50 million (which in financial terms means they are losing a lot of money given their investment and employees, etc.)

I received some numbers which indicated 22K Solos made. Many are still on shelves and in the process of RMA, Return, etc.

The min. numbers were something like 30K being sold by now (and staying sold, not RMA) - and they claimed up to 100K in the first year.

I feel bad for all the folks who aren't going to be millionaires (lots of stock options), but they didn't execute correctly so it's no one's fault but their own.

On the positive end, DJI probably stepped up their consumer service game due to the 3DR claim of being so much better in that dept - and, strangely enough, we now have 3DR users complaining about slow service while (some) DJI customers are saying things have changed and that DJI is getting much better.

Always interesting to follow these things- I'm going to CES and I don't think 3DR is there. That's a big sign that they are not participating big in the consumer electronics end of things.

It looks like some new players will be selling quads well in 2016 (Hexo, Ghost, etc.) - but I think 3DR is going to be last years news unless they really change something.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
argues