3DPower tilted Horizon fix. !

Reaction score
IF you are having a horizon tilt when you Yaw the craft it is because the IMU is not in the right position on the side of the camera holder. So you can do 6 point calibrations all day and still you will have the tilt on the horizon.Follow these steps to fix this problem.

1. If you have tried adjusting parameters on the GUI reinstall a new profile.
2. Perform a gyro and accelerometer calibration.
3. Look at the IMU and verify that is in a near perfect vertical position (when holding the gimbal straight and level) If not fold a piece of paper or something to wedge the IMU board to a vertical position.
4. Perform a 6 point calibration. And test fly and verify If the horizon is straight and level while you yaw.
5. Now use some hot glue and carefully apply 2 small daps on top and rear side of the IMU board to secure that position allow to cool and harden (careful not to put too much)
6 perform another 6 point calibration, And verify level horizon.
7. Voila!!! You are done.

Attachments

• IMG_1171.JPG
    IMG_1171.JPG
    379.9 KB · Views: 1,147
  • IMG_1167.JPG
    IMG_1167.JPG
    365.1 KB · Views: 1,156
hey Richard, is your imu not slotted? it doesn't look like it.

Attachments

• slotted.jpg
    slotted.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 992
I usually tilt the camera while on the gimbal to all 6 positions or take the camera off the gimbal to make it easier. just have to make sure each angle is correct. once calibrated you should have to redo the cal. that often..

Is it not the best way to check if the camera is horizontal is actually to power up P2V (but P2V original white cable to plug to camera, not the Gimbal Controller) and look at the smartpone video via wifi.

Then calibrate the Gimbal Controller (connected by USB to computer) by reset, GUI etc.

The 1st calibration for horizontal would be easier. It is more tricky to do the other 5 point calibration when the IMU is glued to the camera. The camera shell is not box-shaped.

Raymond

Raymond you missed the whole point on the ground the camera is straight and horizontal as the view from the phone when is powered up. Is in the air when you yaw that the horizon tilts.
if you take the IMU out and taped it on to a box and to the calibration when you place it back on the slot you will get the same issue.
When the calibration is done while on the gimbal is the IMU that must moved into proper position not the camera That is why adjusting the position of the IMU is key for proper calibration to work.

Not to denigrate the integrity of the 3DPower gimbal in any way, as I'm considering buying one.... But... The quality of the 3D printed parts looks pretty shoddy in the pictures some of you guys have posted... What's your impression of the quality in general?

Thanks...
-slinger

Yeah i know what you are saying you think they could have polished them a little to give them some smoothness. but I can live with that for now. As for the sturdiness they are pretty solid they will handle well the wear and tear of normal use. me personally i would not have a problem buying another one.

I just fixed my horizon tilt through the simpleBGC GUI.. with the taco gimbals, the eggshell camera holder isn't cut correctly. it has a slight tilt to the right (you looking at the camera). I just simply tilted the camera to the left to make sure the ears are pointing straight up and did a acc calibration followed by the gyro calibration. now it sits straight on the horizon.

Below is a bit from the trouble shooting section of the SimpleBCG manual. Seems to describe the problem I and others are having. The IMU sensor notch in the camera holder seems more of a guess at proper alignment than anything else. I think Richard had the right idea with his paper and glue notion.

basecam%20troubleshoot.png

just ordered the v3 shell that relocates the IMU on top of the camera..hope this helps with my horizon tilt issue.

Newlineliving said:
Is this on the original mounting that comes with the Phantom vision or is it a gimbal?

the IMU is mounted on the gimbal.. on the original version, it was mounted on the side of the camera. on the v3 version, it is on top.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers