3D VIDEO from unmodified Phantom 3

Reaction score
I see lots of references on the forum to 3D; for printing, gimbals, even FPV goggles. But none for 3D video.
I guess the fad for 3D TV has gone again, but I am still interested to get a true 3D view from the sky from my Phantom.
It is very easy to create a 3D aerial image from a Phantom by taking one photo, moving the drone sideways 3 inches (or more) and taking another. And then combining the two photos like this:
Faringdon Folly.jpg
But this morning I suddenly realised that any video taken while the drone is moving sideways can be converted into 3D video.
So I dug out a sideways tracking shot and made this:
In Sony Vegas Pro I have just shifted the video for the left eye backward a few frames to give it a view that is to the left of the right eye.

The next step was to realise that any video looking inwards during POI filming should also work:
Like this:

That worked out well so I dug out another couple of POI sequences that were not focussed on the centre of the rotation.

That last one shows that even if the drone is looking directly outwards (so in theory the two views are diverging!) then it is still easy to get a good 3D effect..
I will now have a go at the same clips with true SBS 3D output to retain the original colours.
I hope that some of you guys want to give it a go too.
Its just a shame it only works when the drone is flying sideways. That's not enough for a complete 3D shoot.
But considering it is a free way of getting 3D aerial video (ignoring the cost of the video editor) I can't complain.

Reactions: LOONEYHD
Wow! Good depth... I love 3D. Pulled out my glasses and really enjoyed the videos. I use FCx and PR and am very tempted to have a go at this eventually. Thanks for sharing.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I've been everywhere in my house to find my 3D glasses to view this.
No luck :-(

Sent from my iPad using PhantomPilots mobile app

Appears to be good work :)

I have passive 3D glasses. I will see if I get 3D effect.

Last edited:
Thanks for your interest!
I've put a couple of proper 1080p25 SBS 3D mp4 examples here.
Dropbox - Phantom Pilots

Ignore Dropbox's encouragement to sign up for an account.
If you play the files in the viewer they will look very pixellated.
But Dropbox will also allow you to download the much higher quality file itself.

The files should play on almost any active or passive 3D playback device.
And they do look much better than the anaglyph versions that I posted above.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4