Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

3D printing...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by gunslinger, Oct 17, 2014.

1. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

A new 3D printing shop just showed up in my neighborhood. I stopped by yesterday and the owner was nice enough to show me around. He has a bunch of different equipment in there and has an impressive array of his work lying about. He's already done some work on Phantoms. He's created a set of prop guards for the P1 that look pretty rugged.

I've just sent him the specs on a pair of height extenders for my P2V, since I've just added an RP gimbal. These are out there on thingiverse.

[​IMG]

I'll keep you all informed regarding pricing and time from order to delivery. He's retired and is doing this as a hobby, as well as additional income. He's busy, but not flat out. I think he may be able to fill the occasional order quickly and inexpensively. :D

Stay tuned...
    -slinger

2. Buckaye

that's cool :) keep us posted. Yeah the 3D printing tech is rapidly dropping in price, and that could mean a really cool addition to our hobby!

3. Hspain16

Wish someone would open a place around here like that :cry: ,how much did he want for the prop guards?mind snapping me a pic next time you go? :D

4. Happyflyer

Nice. I sure would like to see one of those in action and the involvement in setting one up. I bet it takes a great amount of skill for setup. Only problem with the time it takes with 3D printing, he may open his Email and find 300 orders. Go out to his mail box and have to come back with a large tote to carry the orders in. Then we are right back to another place where you have to wait weeks on end for your order to arrive.
    Best of luck to him.

5. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Exactly... He's not in any hurry to turn his small biz into a major enterprise. I was just thinking if we had something useful that needed printing, on a limited scale, it might be a nice little resource. At worst, it might be a great place to fine tune a design.

He could produce one off samples for testing, at a reasonable price with quick turnaround, and once the concept has proven out... we could give him the option to produce x amount of copies, or take the design to a company like shapeways...

I just mentioned this resource to let you guys know it's available and to see what kind of ideas pop up that might make use of it...

-slinger

6. Buckaye

They are getting more and more consumer friendly in terms of setup - there's some tinkering involved, but the more they make the more user groups there are... pretty exciting.

7. MadMitch88

What's an easy 3D design software that is compatible with these printers?

I've dabbled in AutoCad and SolidWorks before but they have very steep learning curves and I'm not willing to put in the time.

8. thedjiguy

9. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

Thanks for the mention??? :? :? :? I'm a little lost. Where in this thread did you get mentioned? :shock:

-slinger

10. thedjiguy

Sorry, I had someone else with a similar username in mind that bought our FireBolts.

11. gunslinger

gunslinger Moderator
    Staff Member

No problem... I was beginning to wonder if "thedjiguy" was sitting in a shop down the street... :D :D :D

-slinger