3d Printing for P3 mods

Reaction score
I'm continually tweaking the P3P. I had to figure out a new tablet holder because the provided one will not hold my iPad Mini 3 with the Mophie Battery case I use. I'm adding a Trackimo GPS tracker, and have to figure out how to mount it.

I've found several solutions to these issues on eBay with 3d printed parts. The most common source a guy in Israel, with a 2-3 wait for the item by mail. Being a gadget freak by nature I have been considering a 3d printer anyway, and am wondering if anyone else has gotten into the the 3d printing thing? What items have you made for the Phantom? Is there a repository of files so we don't have to reinvent the wheel? What printers would you recommend? What ones would you stay away from?

Thanks

Kevin

There are many models here:
http://www.thingiverse.com

Many of the best designs cannot be commercially sold. But, they would be perfect if you just want to print things for yourself.

Thanks, don't want to sell them - just make them for myself.

Last edited:
Can 3D printers enlarge an existing part? I have something made, but I need it larger, part is too small. Can they accomplish that? Thanks!

J Dot

Reactions: dirkclod
Printers cannot enlarge models. You can do it with a good slicer -- like Simplify3D.

Thank
Printers cannot enlarge models. You can do it with a good slicer -- like Simplify3D.

Thanks for the advice,
Bummer on enlarging it! But at least now I know! I guess I'll have to make all new parts, sucks, but maybe out of CNC aluminum?

Thanks again
J Dot

I'm not familiar with the CNC process. I can tell you that I've successfully modified some STL models in Wings 3D. So, that might be an option for you too.

Yes MSinger,
Thanks again for the advice! I'm trying to build something for my phantom, ultimately out of aluminum/plastic, but trying to make some ( cheap ) no cheap price, but rather low quality, prototype parts, that I can have made out of aluminum, and a few parts out of some hard sturdy plastic! I have all the parts but much smaller scale, I want to basically blow it up to phantom scale! But having trouble finding the best route to end result! Lol, other than casting and creating completely new parts. But maybe I'll have to start from scratch? I thought maybe a 3d printer would be my best bet, but maybe not?

A few years back I casted, milled, drilled, and carved, some parts for a gas powered truck, to make all 4 wheels steer, I had my crappy parts made out of 7071 aluminum, and now have the patents on it. Now have a new idea, but don't want to spend 3 years developing, patenting, and copywriting it. Just want to build quickly!

J Dot

If using a 3D printer, 123D Design is a great CAD program for creating models from scratch. Creating the models is only half the battle though. It takes some time to figure out how to get a 3D printer to print quality parts.

Funny, I'm such a newbie here, finally a topic that I've a little knowledge about.

Prior to going the route of buying a 3d printer (expensive hobby, lots to learn, really fascinating...yep, kind of like these flying cameras...;)), I'd suggest you look at the problem as really two.

The first is that you've got to find software to design your part that outputs files specific to the 3D printers. Probably want to start with freeware to get your feet wet, you can search web for that. If you are like most of us, it will take quite a little while to actually learn to design well.

Here is a page with the recommended free design tools that Shapeways (more on them later) recommends.

http://www.shapeways.com/creator/tools?li=nav

The second is turning the file into the actual part. I'd suggest you use a 3rd party 3D printer. Best is if you can find a local shop (is fun to go see the machines); in silicon valley there are several around. If your area doesn't have these shops around, there are good online resources. Probably the best known is Shapeways. (shapeways.com)

One of the big advantages of using a shop like Shapeways is that you can select different materials (different appearance, strength, metals, plastics).

Good luck!

Man you guys are on point!
Thank you SO SO MUCH!
I put a couple posts about a 3d printer questions on ( off topic ) but to no avail! @dirkclod instructed me here ( Thanks Dirk ) I can always count on you, for good SOLID Advice, and he knew you guys were the ones to ask. He was RIGHT AS RAIN! I have ( 0 ) knowledge of the printers, although I do have printed parts on my vision! Lol. Some I find are very high quality, while others are completely crap! And auto cad is more than I want to deal with, as I'm more a hands on construction type, you know hammer, nails stuff, Tech now a days is so **** advanced, my kids make me feel DUMB! Glad you guys took the time to learn, fidget, and build parts with them! A+
Maybe one day? Thanks again, I will do some research on them some more!

If I get the program, design the part in a cad form, then your saying I could find someone with a printer, and they could possibly make the parts? ( without me having the expensive printer? ) that would be cool, I'm sure I have to use a program that is compatible with their printer?

Take care
J Dot

Oh yeah, you design a file, upload to the fabricator, and they print your part! It is actually pretty fun. If you are in the construction business and can visualize blueprints, you can learn to design with these software programs.

Just for the fun of it, I searched shapeways, here is a link to 3D printed parts already designed for the P3....

http://www.shapeways.com/search?q=phantom+3

Reactions: J Dot and dirkclod
well hello.jpg
You ring @J Dot . :D;)

Thanks guys for helping J Dot cause he's as lost as I am :)

Last edited:
Reactions: bobmyers and J Dot
Yes,
I search ( shape ways ) now and again, some stuff is cool! The parts I need are custom, as it is an idea I had for the phantom, nothing like it has been made to my knowledge!
So unfortunately I can even build off another idea, pretty much from scratch! More for fun, but also to see IF I CAN! Lol

I got some studying to do! Thanks again for the awesome input!

J Dot

you design a file, upload to the fabricator, and they print your part
And, re-print, and re-print, and re-print until you get the design just right. If you're designing your own parts, it might be best to have your own printer since new designs usually don't turn out as expected on the first print. If you just want to print models from thingiverse.com, then all should be well if you send those models away to have printed elsewhere. The people who create those models usually go through multiple iterations and get the designs just right before posting them to Thingiverse.

And, re-print, and re-print, and re-print until you get the design just right. If you're designing your own parts, it might be best to have your own printer since new designs usually don't turn out as expected on the first print. If you just want to print models from thingiverse.com, then all should be well if you send those models away to have printed elsewhere. The people who create those models usually go through multiple iterations and get the designs just right before posting them to Thingiverse.

Yes, there is a good amount of truth here!

Which is why I decided to get a printer and start learning. I have other things beside the Phantom I can use it for.

I went with a FlashForge Creator Pro and used TInkerCad to do the design.

This is the first print:
IMG_0672.JPG

The piece to attach the holder to the P3P is too narrow - I will fix and reprint. Once I get it right I will post the file for anyone to use.

I went with a FlashForge Creator Pro and used TInkerCad to do the design.

This is the first print:View attachment 27185

The piece to attach the holder to the P3P is too narrow - I will fix and reprint. Once I get it right I will post the file for anyone to use.
Once you get it perfected-- put it up-- I need it-- snaptied on the camera guard now. :D

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.