3D photography with Phantom 3

Update: finally took some time to try the files Wilfros sent me. They definitely look to be 3D but my glasses batteries are dead. No problem I go to the battery drawer and pull out the CR2032's, no dice. Need CR2025's even tried forcing the 32's in but no luck the glasses are smarter than that. Looking forward to seeing how these work.

I'll try to pick up some new batteries tomorrow.

My tv can turn anything into 3D and I can also undo the 3D in the pictures. The overlap on the files looks quite significant this should really be interesting. For example I see a soccer field and the sidelines look to be off by 5 yards or so. Everything lines up perfectly in 2D
Thanks for the post, I think there were some non believers here and it is my hope this will put that to rest.

Ooo...this has me intrigued! Always looking for content for my 3D television. What software do you use to merge the two photos? I really really want to try this!
If you are interested I have posted my email in an earlier post. Just send me a note and I will add you to the list of members wanting to learn how to make them.

We leave for a vacation on Sunday for a week or so and when I get back I will start writing up instructions and emailing them. It is not problem to add your name to the list.

Glad you are interested.

Would you get the same effect from video frames when moving sideways, or even forward?

Actually, you can view a 3D effect on any TV where the camera or subject is moving horizontally and you wear glasses with one eye shaded more than the other. It is called the Pulfrich Effect. One of the networks used it a while back to broadcast 3D that looked okay without glasses.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pulfrich_effect

-- Roger

So what is the recommended distance between left and right shot when moving the Phantom 3 for your average aerial 3D?
There is an old rule of 1/30 of the distance to the nearest object, so if the nearest thing was 30 feet away, then a one foot spacing between shots would work. Too far apart may make the subject look miniaturized.

Reactions: sdharris
Ok, 3D success. The pictures are pretty cool and it definitely works.

On the baseball field picture I did have to move around a bit before my eyes lined up the light post in left field. Once lined up I could move around and it stayed lined up, think it was a mind thing.

The other picture has trees on the left side and they look amazing.

The thing about my 3D TV is that it's not like you think of 3D shooting out of the screen it adds a depth to the picture much like the comparison of looking at a photo vs looking out a window.

The trees are by far my favorite part of the pictures.

It's very cool and I'm curious to see how it's done and add it to the bag of tricks for the phantom.

Bumping this thread because I'm an avid stereoscope fan and photographer. I've been testing the creation of stereoscopic stills on my P3A using the cha-cha method, and it's actually pretty difficult. You really have to have zero wind so that when you roll there's no pitch or height changes whatsoever. Even the slightest pitch and height change will result in a stereoscopic mess, haha. Going to try and also reduce my roll gain quite a bit to see if that helps. It really needs to get to the point that the copter is moving like a snail just inches over....

Should be able to compensate for a bunch of drift and roll in photoshop just by placing one image at 50% transparency over the other one and lining them up as much as possible...then just crop to whatever coverage you have from both images. That'll get you a good baseline to adjust your convergence from once you can look at it in stereo

That makes sense, but I've tried that. The problem is the drift - it's so significant that the perspective is substantially altered enough where the image still gets wonky. The crop ends up being a very tiny area of the image, so the intended composition is completely lost, lol. I'll keep trying, though. 11mph winds this evening. Got to have less!

What kind of interocular distance are you going for? I got curious enough to try this and did both photos and video (figuring I can take frames from the video to compress/expand the 3D scale. Images worked out with what I'm guessing was about 3-4 feet between "eyes" ...check it out (if you have a cardboard or other SBS viewer):

DTLA_Stereo.jpg

Here's an example with an exaggerated stereo effect. I time shifted the video about two seconds for the second eye, which creates a very wide cha-cha effect. Your eyes are very wide, as if you are a giant looking down. When looking at video on a 3D TV, the houses in the subdivision look like little toys or models. Notice when a car drives by. It looks like it is happening twice, once for each eye.
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Reactions: syotr
For the last couple of weeks I've been looking at high quality drone videos on TravelByDrone and TravelWithDrone. If I find a section where the drone is moving sideways, that part can be clipped out and turned into 3D. It also works when the drone is circling the object smoothly.

I somehow missed this thread in my search for 3D video. So I started my own under
3D VIDEO from unmodified Phantom 3
Covers much the same ground as you guys. But I have included anaglyph examples and links to SBS files that have not been crushed by YouTube.
It's great to be able to see scenes in 3D that were not even planned to be viewed that way!

Reactions: UnicycleJuggler

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.