Welcome to PhantomPilots.com

3D photography with Phantom 3

Discussion in 'Pro/Adv Discussion' started by Wilfros, May 31, 2015.

1. Wilfros

For over 10 years now I have been involved with 3D photography. I was anxious to see if the Phantom would be suitable for shooting the sets required for this type of shot.

It worked GREAT!! Even in winds about 25 - 30 mph I was able to capture photos that satisfied me that it will work great. Because of the problems with the wind I would not want to have anyone see the photos as they are but I now know that in calmer conditions the photos will be stunning.

It is unfortunate I can't share them with you. Sorry but you need a 3D monitor and then the 3D glasses, BUT trust me it works and it is fantastic.

2. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Why not just wait until you have a pic to share before posting? Your post is kind of confusing without it?

3. Mal_PV2_Ireland

Can it not be seen on a 3d tv with glasses which I'm sure a lot of people have?

4. loganboyd

How do you take stereoscopic photos with a single camera?

5. Wilfros

Sorry to confuse you MAL, If you explain further perhaps I can help you with your confusion. I would, if you like, be happy to post the 3D file, I just don't understand what you would do with it. Now I am confused.

6. Wilfros

It is called "the cha cha method". You take a photo and then move sideways between inches to feet from where you took the first photo and then take the second. Home you go and put them together with special software and put the resulting .MPO file on the 3D TV.

Hope this explains it for you. Please ask any questions if you wish.

7. Wilfros

Yes. If anyone has this setup and wish to see the results let me know and I will send you the .MPO file so you can enjoy it. Just let me know

8. Recce2

Sounds very intriguing, keep us posted.

9. loganintx

Thanks. Figured it was from a slightly different perspective. Seems difficult with these drones and wide angle lenses

10. Wilfros

Quite the contrary. The Phantom has given me some spectacular photos on my very first try. I could not be happier. Now off I go in search of an interesting subject.

11. Apparition

It would be the second thing I watched on my 3D TV.

bbfpv and loganintx like this.
  12. Wilfros

If you have the TV just send me your email and I will forward you a file. frostgd@Hotmail.com

13. Apparition

Sent

14. Apparition

Update: finally took some time to try the files Wilfros sent me. They definitely look to be 3D but my glasses batteries are dead. No problem I go to the battery drawer and pull out the CR2032's, no dice. Need CR2025's even tried forcing the 32's in but no luck the glasses are smarter than that. Looking forward to seeing how these work.

I'll try to pick up some new batteries tomorrow.

My tv can turn anything into 3D and I can also undo the 3D in the pictures. The overlap on the files looks quite significant this should really be interesting. For example I see a soccer field and the sidelines look to be off by 5 yards or so. Everything lines up perfectly in 2D

15. RiskFactor

Ooo...this has me intrigued! Always looking for content for my 3D television. What software do you use to merge the two photos? I really really want to try this!

16. dhaslam

Would you get the same effect from video frames when moving sideways, or even forward?

17. syotr

You can download StereoPhotoMaker software for free. It will create files in many different formats from stereoscopic pairs. It does automatic alignment as well. You can output files for red/blue glasses or you can output as side-by-side for crossed eye viewing, no glasses or TV needed.
    http://stereo.jpn.org/eng/stphmkr/

18. RiskFactor

Sweet, thanks!

19. sdharris

So what is the recommended distance between left and right shot when moving the Phantom 3 for your average aerial 3D?

20. syotr

Moving sideways, yes. It is even possible to create a 3d video by making left and right video tracks from the same footage, just shifted in time.