3d/mapping software?

Reaction score
Hi all, anyone out there have good experiences with mapping software? Making orthos and 3d. Looking to possibly invest in some. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Howdy.. I recommend Pix4D for your aerial and orthophoto needs. It's pricey but well worth it! Failing that Autodesk hasa a new app out called 123D Catch. It works similiarly but gives you the ability to pick points between different photos much as the professional orthophoto programs do. Hope this helps..

Yes..Personally I prefer to use GlobalMapper to give me the ability to "cookie cutter" the finished orthophoto for my AOI. Remember to convert / keep the image in a TIFF format for rapid display.

Hey gis, Sorry to bother you again. Do you use the pro Pix4d or discovery? I did my first official flight yesterday using the capture app(discovery) but my ortho didn't turn very well. Geo ref was not accurate and half the image was wonky. Just wondering if pro version would be better.

Matt I also have experience with this and have used both agisoft photoscan and mapsmadeeasy.com. They both allow you to do some work for free. Photoscan is through an eval of the software and maps mad easy has a point system. I use Arcgis to analyze the orthos and dems I get as a result. I also use quick terrain reader to view point clouds exported from photoscan.

Hi all,
I have tried the pix4D mapper app on iOS 9 twice so far and have a couple of questions.
Can you change the descend rate at the end of a mission?
At the end of the first trial I regained control about 10m off the ground and this caused problems with the pix4D file showing an error.
The upload to the cloud is very slow from my iPhone6, it has taken over 5 hrs to upload 24/136 photos, any suggestions?

I have had two successful flights out of four with Pix4D. The two failures were to do with the pix4D file failure, both at the landing stage after a very successful flight. My problem is the descent speed, it seems too fast and the phantom has been too fast to catch by hand.
The first time it was descending fast at the end of a mission, I switched to manual control at 10m and failed the transfer of the Pix4d file.
The second time, the phantom was landing with a fast descent 5m from the home point and hit a fire fence which caused me to PANIC and accidentally flicked the S1 switch to "abort mission". No pix4d file this time either.
The upload issue I had is now solved. The problem was the auto lock on the iPhone shutting down the app and stopping the upload ( simple, I know!). I now have the auto lock set to "never".

What's driven me nuts is the lack of recording of EXIF information for altitude in JPEGs for this particular purpose.

I've had good success with Agisoft's Photoscan numerous times but only with a very high number of photos (in the several hundreds)--- BUT the lack of having any altitude information makes generating ortho maps annoying. Since with Photoscan you take also take photos at different altitudes to focus on higher detail areas....it would be pertinent to have altitude information so it can accurately take that into account.

So...I can make very pretty 3d maps but without the ability to make any meaningful contour maps from it.

Also made an elaborate model of my home using Photoscan which turned out really well just randomly shooting photos at every which angle.

If anyone knows of a good online service to which to export models to for FREE, that would be great!

Matt I also have experience with this and have used both agisoft photoscan and mapsmadeeasy.com. They both allow you to do some work for free. Photoscan is through an eval of the software and maps mad easy has a point system. I use Arcgis to analyze the orthos and dems I get as a result. I also use quick terrain reader to view point clouds exported from photoscan.
Hey Jgb, I use Arcmap on a daily basis. Mind me asking what you do with your data using Arcgis?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl