3d mapping/imaging

Reaction score
Hi guys I'm going to have a go at 3d imaging with my P3A and P4, can anyone recommend a good app free or paid for and also your experiences and any tips would be great.

Hoping to do this the next dry day off I get here in Scotland

Thanks

Jim

You can find some mapping apps here.

Reactions: sas099
Ive been thinking about this as well and maybe trying to start something on the side for some local real estate companies...

PIX4D Capture is great for flight planning. It is free, but you will need something in addition for processing.

PIX4D Capture is great for flight planning. It is free, but you will need something in addition for processing.

What software is needed for dumping this data?

You don;t need any to dump the data. Just copy it over to your computer. You will need some type of processing software to mosaic the images and create a Surface Model.
I use Drone2Map because i have GIS software to analyze with. If you don;t already have a mapping platform already, you can purchase one like Pix4D.

I've been playing around a little bit with Drone Deploy - I've been looking for how exactly I could use that to share with potential clients. BUT... in the process of looking, just came across OpenDroneMap: OpenDroneMap and it looks like worth playing with. DroneDeploy is pretty easy to use, but if I selling my services, I'm not sure how I could effectively resell DroneDeploy, or if I would just let the client worry about that part.

The Betterview roof inspection jobs are requesting the drone deploy ortomosaic maps. They just assigned me 39 more buildings and requested the maps on both developments.

That's Awesome! So are you going with DroneDeploy? How do you end up delivering to the clients? Do they have their own accounts with DroneDeploy or do you share a link? Do you mind sharing how you are pricing that type of work?

That's Awesome! So are you going with DroneDeploy? How do you end up delivering to the clients? Do they have their own accounts with DroneDeploy or do you share a link? Do you mind sharing how you are pricing that type of work?
Betterview (better.vu) has a button on the job page that says "upload orthomosaic photos" and that is where I upload those photos. They must have a dronedeploy account of their own because they send a diagram of the area they want mapped and specify the altitude and overlap. I just key in what they ask for and let the drone autonomously fly the mission and return to land. Then I have the photos of the roof and edge detail that are uploaded separately. As for pricing the order specifies what it pays so you can accept or decline the job.

Betterview (better.vu) has a button on the job page that says "upload orthomosaic photos" and that is where I upload those photos. They must have a dronedeploy account of their own because they send a diagram of the area they want mapped and specify the altitude and overlap. I just key in what they ask for and let the drone autonomously fly the mission and return to land. Then I have the photos of the roof and edge detail that are uploaded separately. As for pricing the order specifies what it pays so you can accept or decline the job.
Sweet! I'm checking out Betterview. If I understand right, you are using DroneDeploy's app to get the surface overhead shot at ~25 ft above the roof, then manually flying the rest?

Then I have the photos of the roof and edge detail that are uploaded separately.
The edge photos are what I am having difficulty figuring out how to handle. Unless it is a simple rectangular building, is seems like it could be very time consuming to get all around, and especially risky in tight areas such as a courtyard. Am I overthinking it and trying to provide too much detail?
DJI_0204.JPG

Sweet! I'm checking out Betterview. If I understand right, you are using DroneDeploy's app to get the surface overhead shot at ~25 ft above the roof, then manually flying the rest?
No the orthomosaic map shots were requested to be 200' AGL with 85% overlap to capture the entire parcel. The overhead shot, lawnmower and edge shots I do manually.

The edge photos are what I am having difficulty figuring out how to handle. Unless it is a simple rectangular building, is seems like it could be very time consuming to get all around, and especially risky in tight areas such as a courtyard. Am I overthinking it and trying to provide too much detail?
View attachment 72580
The edge photos are recommended to be flown 5' high (over edge/gutter) and 8' out so it's not really as bad as it seems.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers