360 degree panoramic shots with intelligent flight modes

Reaction score
I have a client wanting 360 degree panoramic shots every 3 meters up to 54 meters for a developing building complex. Is there a way with some of the new intelligent flight modes or ground control station with the Phantom to do the job? I have some ideas and I'm considering some overlap. The focal lens is 94 degrees on the P3P camera so I'll just do north, east, south and west snaps and stitch them together. But, is there something in the new intelligent flight modes that can help like course lock?

I've been looking into a software package that can do this and it seems like Kolor has been mentioned several times here. Do I want to use Autopana?

Last edited:
couple of options...
If you have P3P, you can just simply film by spinning 360 slowly and take screen grabs.
Other option is Litchi Pano Mode. Nominate the snaps and click start. The use Autopana to stitch.

Another option would be to mount a spherical camera like V.360 by VSN, or Kodak SP360, or wait for the GIROPTIC 360cam that is being released this month.

I've done a similar thing and can't think of anything in the new intelligent flight modes that would assist.
It's easy to do a 360 pan manually and Dronepan software will automate it for IOS users.
You'll find that a 3m gap won't be enough to show much variation with the very wideangle of the P3 lens.
From adjacent levels, the image will bee nearly the same.
If the client wants it for marketing, they'd be better off looking at a bigger gap .. say 3 storeys rather than 1.

I've looked into Autopana and do they actually ship software or is it available by download? Sending CD's out is so 1990's. ;)

DronePan will do it and I have used it a LOT!

I just got the new OSMO which is a handheld Inspire camera: One of it option is a 360 degree Panorama (it does the stitching). So it maybe coming to the P3P or Inspire but I figured I throw it out there.

Reactions: Rrotz
If you don't mind spinning the copter manually and taking a shot every few degrees, the PTGui software will stich them nicely and even publish them to a website as a full 360 continuous pan with adjustable parameters.

Its learning curve is moderate because there are so many possible adjustments at each step -- including flat, cylindrical, spherical (and more) rendering. You get the idea!

I'll post one when the weather clears up here.

I'm using Android so I bought Litchi and downloaded Autopano. I'm thinking whether I should get Autopano Giga for stitching Orthographic maps or pony up for Pix4d.

With Ultimate Flight 3 you can do a 4 row panorama (+30, 0, -45, -90 degrees), and stich together with ptgui.

I'm not familiar with this app but I'll check it out. I already bought Litchi so I'll test that and report back.

If you don't mind spinning the copter manually and taking a shot every few degrees, the PTGui software will stich them nicely and even publish them to a website as a full 360 continuous pan with adjustable parameters.

Its learning curve is moderate because there are so many possible adjustments at each step -- including flat, cylindrical, spherical (and more) rendering. You get the idea!

I'll post one when the weather clears up here.

Looking forward to seeing the results, is PTGui free?

I just got the new OSMO which is a handheld Inspire camera: One of it option is a 360 degree Panorama (it does the stitching). So it maybe coming to the P3P or Inspire but I figured I throw it out there.

I'm waiting on my OSMO handle and will use the Inspire 1 camera. HOPEFULLY, one day I can get the X5 RAW and the X3 can go on the OSMO handle permanently.

Looking forward to seeing the results, is PTGui free?
Before you start putting out $$ for PTGui and Autopano Giga, have a look at Microsoft ICE for a much more affordable (free) program.
None of them are perfect for every stitch-up and sometimes you can use one for something the others just don't do.
Here's a huge 360º pano I just stitched in ICE
DJI_0126-150aa-X2.jpg

Reactions: bobmyers

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers