$35,000 to remove drone from power lines

And if you were here when the Seattle Police were about to buy 2 drones, you learned how absolutely anti-drone the majority of Puget Sounders are as well.

Very negative article. And typical negative responses from people that don't know much about the subject. Having worked for a power company for 10 years, I'd say the dollar amount has been padded to include everything possible...lunches, equipment depreciation, lost electrical revenue, and on and on.

Last edited:
Reactions: 750r
Not trying to defend the pilot but it is very possible he lost orientation or was not sure he was that close . Everyone here should know if your couple hundred meters out looking through your cam your judgment of distance is off . I smacked some branches like that .
Far as the cost that's about right I would bet they had 4 or 5 trucks 8-10 guys + a formen or 2 . Took few hours to get set up then a BIG power meeting before the work started this took a crew all day to do .
So guy was worried about the buzzing and glowing those lines make noise you should hear them when it rains .

Not trying to defend the pilot but it is very possible he lost orientation or was not sure he was that close . Everyone here should know if your couple hundred meters out looking through your cam your judgment of distance is off . I smacked some branches like that .
Far as the cost that's about right I would bet they had 4 or 5 trucks 8-10 guys + a formen or 2 . Took few hours to get set up then a BIG power meeting before the work started this took a crew all day to do .
So guy was worried about the buzzing and glowing those lines make noise you should hear them when it rains .
Yeah, there have been a couple of times I've come pretty close to utility lines and felt lucky to have narrowly avoided them.
The lines this Inspire were caught in are 120 feet above water in a community of floating homes and house boats. Depending on where he was flying from and the sun's position, these lines could have been nearly invisible.
But based on where this drone was stuck and the difficulty accessing it, I can understand the recovery costs.
750r, you mentioned how the lines sound when it rains...you know this is Seattle right? You know we are known as The Rainy City, right? lol.

Reactions: 750r
Lol so it dose rain a lot their ? I have never been :(
I was just going off what are transmission lines sound like here in Pa when they get wet :)

Lol so it dose rain a lot their ? I have never been :(
I was just going off what are transmission lines sound like here in Pa when they get wet :)
Yes sir. We have two seasons, a 3 month summer, and 9 months of grey skies and drizzling rain.
I have today and tomorrow off, and it is raining. No flying.
Of course the last 4 days I've worked and it was dry, sunny and in the 70's.

It's not even "rain" it's more like drizzle. Seattle peeps never seem capable of properly talking about the rain here. It's not as bad as everyone makes it out to be

I believe I called it drizzling rain. Most locals are quick to point out that Seattle ranks 44th in the nation for rainfall.
Cities that get more rainfall than Seattle include: Houston Texas (48 inches), New Orleans (60 inches), Mobile AL (65 inches), Memphis (52 inches), Nashville (48 inches), and pretty much every major city on the eastern seaboard, such as New York (43 inches), Philadelphia (41 inches), Miami (58 inches), and Boston (44 inches).
What sets Seattle apart is the near constant mist or drizzle during the winter and spring. But it is rare to get pouring rain here. Yet we're still known for our "rain."
I grew up in the arid Southwest and miss the pounding rains accompanied by thunder and lightening.

Coming from Montana, I'm rather enjoying the weather actually being a constant state because Montanas weather never farking knows what going to happen and its fo freaking nice to see green during the winter time and not frozen temperatures

Reactions: GoodnNuff
...Montana's weather never farking knows what going to happen ...

Ah, so like Melbourne in Australia? Have to carry all 4 seasons of clothing with you for a trip to the local store, because it can change through all 4 of them during the trip.

Reactions: acherman
I can't wait to hear the story about how it got up there in the first place! :rolleyes::oops:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20