333 Exemption Comment Period

Reaction score
Has anyone here had their exemption approved recently? If so, how long was your application up for comment before they approved it?

Thanks in advance.

I submitted July 10th
It was posted to public docket Nov 4th
Approval granted Dec 23rd
Packet came in the mail Dec 30th
still showing on the Public Docket as pending but that's normal. Approx 170 start to finish with no delays (needing additional info etc).

Thanks, BigAl. Mine was posted Dec 2nd, so by going by your experience, I have a couple of weeks left. Appreciate your reply!

where do you exactly apply for this exemption to be able to be compensated for aerial work. Is it extensive or is getting approved like trying to win the lottery, thankyou.

where do you exactly apply for this exemption to be able to be compensated for aerial work. Is it extensive or is getting approved like trying to win the lottery, thankyou.

Petitioning for Exemption under Section 333

They are exemptions to FARs in place to operate an aircraft legally in the NAS for compensation. The above link will get you started.
Search approved exemptions and see how others have presented theirs to see which FARs you need an exemption from for your business.
It's not lottery style. Most exemptions now reference previously approved applications to improve their chance of it going through.

Has anyone posted a copy of their petition that we can all use as a template of sorts? I would love to find one to just change the information to my own.

Just go on the public docket there is tons to choose from. That's how I did it. Time consuming yes, but it's there...

Forgot to add link
Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions

I have been through there, but those seem to be the approvals, not the actual petition the user submitted. I am interested in seeing what was originally submitted to get the approval.

I have been through there, but those seem to be the approvals, not the actual petition the user submitted. I am interested in seeing what was originally submitted to get the approval.

I think someone posted the link you're looking for here once, can't remember where though...

I submitted July 10th
It was posted to public docket Nov 4th
Approval granted Dec 23rd
Packet came in the mail Dec 30th
still showing on the Public Docket as pending but that's normal. Approx 170 start to finish with no delays (needing additional info etc).
How did you know it was approved on Dec 23 if the public docket still says pending?

I can see mine Document/Docket on regulations.gov -- and it says pending, but I'm curious how you found out the status before you actually got your packet.

Thanks!

How did you know it was approved on Dec 23 if the public docket still says pending?

I can see mine Document/Docket on regulations.gov -- and it says pending, but I'm curious how you found out the status before you actually got your packet.

Thanks!

Maybe the packet that he got on the 30th said it was approved on the 23rd. Although, if you go to the "Authorizations Granted" page, maybe it appears there instead of on the Regulations page...

Reactions: BigAl07

Thanks!

You missed the key component
"Packet came in the mail Dec 30th" When I opened the packet the grant letter and all associated documents were in there and it indicated Dec 23rd.

Last but not least you can go here and search for the ones granted and mine is in that list:
Authorizations Granted Via Section 333 Exemptions

Reactions: kenjancef
Maybe the packet that he got on the 30th said it was approved on the 23rd. Although, if you go to the "Authorizations Granted" page, maybe it appears there instead of on the Regulations page...

Correct and Correct :)

Reactions: kenjancef
As of this morning mine is still "Pending" on the Public Docket.

Those of you that are getting the approvals, do you also have a pilots license already? I am petitioning for my 333 exemption, but I dont have a pilots license of any kind. Is the exemption going to help me in any way at all? All I want to do is be able to shoot some real estate pictures and footage for a few realtors that I know personally.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

I had my PPL long before Section 333 if that helps any.

To be honest if you're not planning to get at least your Sport Pilots License then I wouldn't bother with the Section 333. When Part 107 comes down the line it will make Commercial operations easier but the Section 333 Exemption will still require a Pilot Certification. That's my own personal take on it so take it for what you paid for it LOL!. And no that is not legal advice.

If you had any inclination you wanted to learn to fly an airplane this is a GOLDEN time and a great "Excuse" to do it. Learning to fly an airplane is one of my most prized accomplishments to date. I still get goose bumps when I'm walking across the parking area just before getting into the airplane. It's been 18 years now and I love it more each time I go up into the air. It doesn't get much better than that.

Reactions: MC_

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl