32 Channel Hack

Reaction score
Hi guys

Does the 32 channel hack work for the P3A ?

Does any of you guys use it? Why does DJI not just include the channels by default?

Thanks

Yes, I use the 32 channel hack on my P3A. I run on channel 31 and have had good performance with it. Not sure why DJI doesn't include it by default.

Reactions: TonyNI2013
32 channel use to be a default feature when we 1st took delivery this time last May 2015. Come to find out the higher channels are frequencies used by ham radio operators. Not sure if there is any truth to that, but dji believed it enough to remove the feature. However, once a hack was created to use the channels again, dji has never tried writing it back out.

Why is it better and how do you do it?

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

All you have to do is copy one config file into the DJI GO app. Just google it to find the config file.

how do you do it?
You fly with an iPad, right? If you are interested in 32 channels, read this one post:
More channels hack

I think you also use a Mac, right? Historically people have had trouble doing this hack with a Mac. From what I understand, it has to do with how a Mac hides certain files. When you go through the instructions, pay close attention to the need to show hidden files and find out how to do that if you don't already know. If you don't do this, you wont see the file you need and you will get frustrated. If you can show hidden files and follow the instructions closely, adding the channels is very easy so don't try to make it harder than it is. Good luck sir!

You fly with an iPad, right? If you are interested in 32 channels, read this one post:
More channels hack

I think you also use a Mac, right? Historically people have had trouble doing this hack with a Mac. From what I understand, it has to do with how a Mac hides certain files. When you go through the instructions, pay close attention to the need to show hidden files and find out how to do that if you don't already know. If you don't do this, you wont see the file you need and you will get frustrated. If you can show hidden files and follow the instructions closely, adding the channels is very easy so don't try to make it harder than it is. Good luck sir!

I posted a fix for this issue on a Mac in another thread:

32 channel hack

Reactions: Oso
I've been tempted to install this every time it comes up but I never have a problem with sticking to channel 20, and I fly in what I would consider mostly congested areas. Since I live in an urban NY area and not the plains of Nebraska, I don't have much choice most of the time unless I'm by the shores. I'm sure the extra channels can be helpful but I can't help wondering if more often than not, it's another problem going on than channel selection.

I've been tempted to install this every time it comes up but I never have a problem with sticking to channel 20, and I fly in what I would consider mostly congested areas. Since I live in an urban NY area and not the plains of Nebraska, I don't have much choice most of the time unless I'm by the shores. I'm sure the extra channels can be helpful but I can't help wondering if more often than not, it's another problem going on than channel selection.
If you already use the custom settings to choose channel 20, you can still choose channel 20 after doing the hack. The difference would be that you'd also then have the extra channels if you needed them.

For me, I've had the hack installed since August and have used it just once to test it. I used channel 32 that day and it was totally quiet. Even so, since then I have used only auto channel selection which doesn't access the extended channels anyway.

Of course, some pilots live in very noisy areas and the hack is wonderful for them. Everyone has a unique situation. Cheers!

Last edited:

So your situations is you possibly do not understand the overall use of the hack. I suppose there is several ways to explain the details about the hack. But the main things to know is, channel noise/interference plays havoc on the distances your P3 will fly. My P3 was struggling to get past 2300ft without the hack. The message bar would flash red, the signal bars at times would drop to no bars. I install the hack, set it on the highest channel (32) and fly the route and beyond to 5800ft before the bars began to fluctuate.

The higher frequencies have very little to no traffic depending on your location. The majority of those that add this mod are satisfied with the performance improvement by manually setting to channel 32. However, not long ago it has been discovered the optimum way to go is to use the hack in Auto. Especially if you're looking to reach max distance. The P3 will reach a point that the signal will drop off. Now, it has been common practice that when you experience a signal loss to select RTF. But what we noticed was, if you allow the A/C to hover a short time, it will find a clean channel and restore the signals. The key part is to allow the P3 to pick the channel and the flight distance will increase beyond what you have flown in manual mode.

I have not yet tested to see what my setups limit is by doing what I mentioned. But I have flown further then what I thought was the my limit prior to the auto setting. I'm also sure there will be those with a different device combo that may not experience a difference. I say this only because not all devices function the same. Some of you may want to at least try the auto setting and see how your setup responds once the signal drops off.
(*Edit: checking data to confirm 32 auto mode.)

Last edited:
Reactions: Numone
So your situations is you possibly do not understand the overall use of the hack. I suppose there is several ways to explain the details about the hack. But the main things to know is, channel noise/interference plays havoc on the distances your P3 will fly. My P3 was struggling to get past 2300ft without the hack. The message bar would flash red, the signal bars at times would drop to no bars. I install the hack, set it on the highest channel (32) and fly the route and beyond to 5800ft before the bars began to fluctuate.

The higher frequencies have very little to no traffic depending on your location. The majority of those that add this mod are satisfied with the performance improvement by manually setting to channel 32. However, not long ago it has been discovered the optimum way to go is to use the hack in Auto. Especially if you're looking to reach max distance. The P3 will reach a point that the signal will drop off. Now, it has been common practice that when you experience a signal loss to select RTF. But what we noticed was, if you allow the A/C to hover a short time, it will find a clean channel and restore the signals. The key part is to allow the P3 to pick the channel and the flight distance will increase beyond what you have flown in manual mode.

I have not yet tested to see what my setups limit is by doing what I mentioned. But I have flown further then what I thought was the my limit prior to the auto setting. I'm also sure there will be those with a different device combo that may not experience a difference. I say this only because not all devices function the same. Some of you may want to at least try the auto setting and see how your setup responds once the signal drops off.
Thanks for the excellent overview. So, if I read this right, after the mod you're saying if you get a drop in signal, hover, and the P3 will access the previously unavailable channels?

Thanks for the excellent overview. So, if I read this right, after the mod you're saying if you get a drop in signal, hover, and the P3 will access the previously unavailable channels?

The P3 should search for a clear channel, and from there you will be able to proceed with the flight.

Including the previously unavailable channels? Sorry to be pedantic, but just want clarification?
Unless something has changed recently, the hack is not able to access the extended channels while you are in auto. You can only access them when you switch to custom, and usually only if your device is set to US.

Unless something has changed recently, the hack is not able to access the extended channels while you are in auto. You can only access them when you switch to custom, and usually only if your device is set to US.
Ahh, OK, so probably won't work here in the UK then. Oh well...but thanks for the clarification!

What don't I understand? It's about having extra channels available with less noise on them, whether you choose them manually or let it be done in auto. Is it absolutely choosing extra channels while in auto? I think the hack is great but as I said, channel 20 for me has always been as quiet as say, channel 32. That's why I haven't had the need for the hack yet. Flying in my wifi congested areas, channel 20 remains clean. Flying in downtown Manhattan, it would surely be a different situation - not that I would do that. If at distance or at unacceptablely short distances I had issues, I'd either set it to auto channel and let the software channel hop when necessary, or I'd apply the hack and maybe do the same or stick to a custom channel. But for me, sticking with channel 20 has given me trouble free flight thus far. But, I'm open to change should I have to.

Ahh, OK, so probably won't work here in the UK then. Oh well...but thanks for the clarification!
It will work for you if you set your device to US. It is very common for people who want to use the extended channels to set their device to US.

It will work for you if you set your device to US. It is very common for people who want to use the extended channels to set their device to US.
Wow.. I thought the CE versions wouldn't allow this and the software recognised where you're located, but I stand corrected. How does one do this?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers