30 or 60 fps

Reaction score
I'm just wondering what gives the best results. I fly a Phantom 2 with gimbal. I've seen a lot of high quality you tube videos shooting at 60 fps. Is this generally to slow it down to give a more dramatic feel?

I guess that's what I assumed but I wanted to do more research before trading my Hero 3 Silver which can only do 1080 @ 30 fps. Any help, thoughts or opinions would be great! Thanks!

I think it boils down to personal preference. Personally I can't stand 60 fps, I find it almost overwhelming. Everything is in focus with crisp, clearly defined lines even when in motion..... gah! Drives me up the wall, I never know where to look. It just feels unnatural to me.

If you want something that looks more like a traditional movie with the motion blur you'd expect then go for 30 or less. If you want that crispy clean static look that makes my eyes cross, go for 60 :cool:

Thanks for the response!

I was wondering, when you change it to 30 fps, does it go to slow motion or how do you go about changing it?

Griggs said:
Thanks for the response!

I was wondering, when you change it to 30 fps, does it go to slow motion or how do you go about changing it?

All depends on your editor. The editors I'm familiar with treat frame rate and motion speed as two separate operations. While editing the video, you can stretch (slow motion) the clip or compress (fast motion) the clip. The fps count is handled during the final render.

When editing (not final product)
If you take 1 minute of 60 fps and stretch it to 2 minutes, you would end up at 30 fps.
If you take 1 minute of 60 fps and stretch it to 1.5 minutes, you would end up at 45 fps.

Now when you render your final video, you will select the final frame rate, say 24 fps. The editing program then converts all the different frame rates to 1 unified frame rate.

I almost always shot 60 fps to make sure I have the frames necessary in case I want to do some slo-mo effects and for what I believe to be smoother video. In low light situations I shoot in 30 to allow more light to hit the sensor. When I render the final, I usually choose 24 fps.

I have read that shooting from Phantom, 30 fps provides for smoother video. This seems counterintuitive to me in that motion between two frames of 30 would be more dramatic than 4 frames shot at 60. This is on my test and verify to do list.

Reactions: desleezc
Thanks iResq for the explaination. So if I shoot in 60fps but then decide to do a final render in 30fps, then it won't have the odd look that HeliRy is referring to?

Then if I want to do a slow motion sequence, it will look much smoother..

Yeah.... not really. What I did was respond to Griggs question "What gives the best results". And I was honest in my assertion that it's personal preference. I don't like 60 fps, try not to let it ruin your day.

^ looking at the post count I kinda think it's our resident troll cunningstuntflyer. Judging by the style of aguement and the name with a play on words someone has a new account.

Griggs said:
Thanks iResq for the explaination. So if I shoot in 60fps but then decide to do a final render in 30fps, then it won't have the odd look that HeliRy is referring to?

Then if I want to do a slow motion sequence, it will look much smoother..

Correct, but you'll want to do your show motion and all other effects or edits prior to your final render at 30.

Also (given how cheap memory has become) is a good idea to archive your original footage, just in case.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Sounds good, thanks again. What editor do you use? Right now I'm using Premiere Elements 12 on a PC. I'd consider Premiere PRO but I'm not a fan of $20 per month

60fps is good if you plan to slow down the footage.- or wish to display it on a television - otherwise , it's pretty much a waste of drive space and CPU processing. (files are generally twice the size).

Personally I prefer to shoot at 30fps or even 24fps.

But it really does come down to a personal preference.

Griggs said:
Sounds good, thanks again. What editor do you use? Right now I'm using Premiere Elements 12 on a PC. I'd consider Premiere PRO but I'm not a fan of $20 per month

Premiere Elements is a nice piece of software. I use the full Premiere. It has the warp stabilizer which works rather well.

Gizmo3000 said:
60fps is good if you plan to slow down the footage.- or wish to display it on a television - otherwise , it's pretty much a waste of drive space and CPU processing. (files are generally twice the size).

Personally I prefer to shoot at 30fps or even 24fps.

But it really does come down to a personal preference.

I would absolutely agree with the last the statement. Experiment. What works best for you. Personally, I'm not concerned with file size and my computer processes just fine even with older i7-2600 processor. The Vision does not support 24fps. In fact most cameras do not without some digital wizardry.

From my video recorder to now DSLR video shooting, the standard guideline is to shoot at the 1/2 the reciprocal frame rate. For 30fps, that would be a speed of 1/60. In order to shoot 24 fps, you would need shutter speed of 1/48 which is not available on most DSLR's (that may have changed as of late). I'm not really sure how any of this translates to the Vision as I am still learning that platform.

Since you guys seem to know what your talking about... I'm also curious about protune.. Will I see a benefit by using protune while editing in premier elements? Or is it specific to the Pro software?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31