30 Min Recording Law?

Reaction score
I know several of my Cameras can not record over 30 mins, something to do with EU import duty rates.
Just out of curiosity is that why our P3's batteries are less than 30 mins fly time?
Interesting question I hope....

I just think its just the technology isn't there just yet for 30 min. Power is power.. Battery can hold only so much of a charge once included with photos / video / flying around.

I know several of my Cameras can not record over 30 mins, something to do with EU import duty rates.
Just out of curiosity is that why our P3's batteries are less than 30 mins fly time?
Interesting question I hope....

Your question doesn't make sense. What does the recording or flying times have to do with the EU's import duty rates??

Your question doesn't make sense. What does the recording or flying times have to do with the EU's import duty rates??
It does make sense. EU import duties are based on classification of a device. DLSR cameras historically that could record more than 30 minutes continuously are classified with a slightly higher import duty. However I also believe if they have above 800X600 pixels at greater than 23 frames per second also get the higher classification.

I doubt the flight time has any bearing. You can read the classification guidelines here: https://www.gov.uk/classifying-audio-and-video-equipment

First.... you said duty..... lol (ok I am 46 years old with a 12 year old sense of humor)

Second - I agree with the above - the flight time is limited by the technology of the battery and the current configuration of the Phantom. They aren't purposefully limiting the Phantom's flight time to keep people from recording too much...

The battery gives 23 minutes of flight time (if you run it right down to zero), but that is not the possible recording time. If you don't turn the motors on then you are able to record for a couple of hours until the battery finally dies.

It does make sense. EU import duties are based on classification of a device. DLSR cameras historically that could record more than 30 minutes continuously are classified with a slightly higher import duty. However I also believe if they have above 800X600 pixels at greater than 23 frames per second also get the higher classification.

I doubt the flight time has any bearing. You can read the classification guidelines here: https://www.gov.uk/classifying-audio-and-video-equipment

First off the OP is based in San Diego, CA which is in neither the UK nor EU so trying say why the camera can only record for 30 minutes because it might be based on tax rates is ridiculous. Tax rates of different countries has absolutely nothing to do with how long a camera can record as was pointed out by Adam Mullins post.

Well explain to me
First off the OP is based in San Diego, CA which is in neither the UK nor EU so trying say why the camera can only record for 30 minutes because it might be based on tax rates is ridiculous. Tax rates of different countries has absolutely nothing to do with how long a camera can record as was pointed out by Adam Mullins post.

This was an Observation and a thought type of question question, I have a Lumix Camera that records in HD but less that 30mins. FACT
My Nikon Can Only Record less than 30mins. FACT

They as you know are Cameras, well the P3 is a Camera also, so if the battery per say could record more than one hour would it fall under the less than 30 mins rule.

Does anyone have a Go Pro That records over 30 mins?

Reactions: envisionabove
Just for Kicks

Back in 2006, the EU controversially decided to classify high-end digital cameras as video recorders, which attached a customs duty of 5-12% for digital cameras imported into Europe. The classification was decided not just based on digital cameras' improving abilities to record video through its lens and sensor, but their ability to record direct input from external sources like televisions. A home video recorder tax would theoretically offset money lost from users recording movies off broadcast television or cable onto digital devices, though the EU has never been very clear on the tax's intent. The tax's consequence, though, has been felt in every digital camera user looking to use a DSLR in place of a camcorder, as camera manufactures would rather limit recording capability in software than raise the price of its cameras (or lower their margins).

Potentially good news came last week with reports of informal talks between the United States and other WTO countries concerning the expansion of the Information Technology Agreement (ITA). According to Nikkei news, the WTO is considering adding video cameras to the domain of the ITA, which would override the EU's tariff. DSLR enthusiasts are understandably watching this development closely and await the WTO's decision.

Dude we're not hounding you. Your question wasn't valid is all.. Maybe rephrasing what you meant will help us understand what you're trying to get across.

A question may sound ridiculous if you already know the answer. Clearly the OP did not. And, it may be new information to you that many manufacturers manufacture the same device for a worldwide market and will limit their devices based in other jurisdictions markets, even those sold into the U.S. You don't need to look far to see an example of such a historical thing for US sold devices: http://www.tested.com/tech/photogra...meras-have-a-30-minute-video-recording-limit/

As I already stated, the flight time likely has nothing to do with tariffs. It's not beyond reason to think someone coming from a world where digital cameras sold in the U.S. could be limited...as they once were. So, yes his questions have historical sense...and no it isn't any more ridiculous than questioning if other devices capabilities are limited by their saleable market factors.

Not sure why you feel the need to quantify the quality of the question, rather than just answer it.

Well explain to me

This was an Observation and a thought type of question question, I have a Lumix Camera that records in HD but less that 30mins. FACT
My Nikon Can Only Record less than 30mins. FACT

They as you know are Cameras, well the P3 is a Camera also, so if the battery per say could record more than one hour would it fall under the less than 30 mins rule.

Does anyone have a Go Pro That records over 30 mins?

I have two Canon DSLR's, three GoPro's and four video camcorders. The DSLR's are cameras designed for photos with video thrown in which are limited to 29:59 minutes but it doesn't mean you cannot continue to record for another 29;59 minutes but they do tend to get hot and will shut down.recording. GoPro's on the other hand can record well over an hour but in 4G segments basically the same as DSLR's but without a limit of 30 minutes. Video camcorders can record for many hours depending on SD card and battery output and they are also limit to 4G on memory cards.

I think we are talking about two different things. 1. Cameras that can take videos over 30 minutes are charged a higher tax rate. This is true. 2. Export restrictions on certain items. China is doing this on items like super computers and drones that can fly for one hour or more.

Envision - I was supporting your initial post, not arguing anything.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav