30 Mile Radius Ban DC Area, Any Flyers?

Reaction score
Wondering, is everyone respecting the FAA's temporary grounding of all drones within a 30 mile radius of DC? I really didnt know, and was flying in the Rockville MD area and I happen to be 100 yards from the NFZ stated in the DJI GO app, which I of course stayed clear of. I didn't know about the temporary ban until read some articles online. What happens if you get caught flying while the temporary ban? What if you didn't know?
thx.

Hey I'm out here near Olney. Welcome to the site.

I'm not sure why you call it temporary. Maybe because some refer to it as a TFR? It's not really temporary.

What happens? As long as you don't endanger NAS, nothing much would likely happen. But it's an evolving situation.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the response, it did help...not sure why I thought I read somewhere it was temporary. That stinks...Im technically grounded for good then where I live :(

So where do you fly in this area? I'm so bummed...I was crazy to find out that I was just barely outside the 15 mile NFZ radius...but 30 fml...

Yeah well...

I'm lucky I got nothin' but corn and beans north of me...

Otherwise it's roughly a 12 mile drive due north to the other side of I-70.

Wondering, is everyone respecting the FAA's temporary grounding of all drones within a 30 mile radius of DC? I really didnt know, and was flying in the Rockville MD area and I happen to be 100 yards from the NFZ stated in the DJI GO app, which I of course stayed clear of. I didn't know about the temporary ban until read some articles online. What happens if you get caught flying while the temporary ban? What if you didn't know?
thx.
Welcome to my world. Haha. (I'm in NOVA)

The no-fly zone can't really be avoided - your only option is to drive out to the country, or just a bit out of the zone.

I'm in NOVA as well, less than a mile inside the zone. I test fly below the rooftops within about 100' (which is technically against the rules) but travel west to fly now... really an unfortunate situation.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic