3 Leaf Foldable Propeller can increase flight time?

max004 said:
Hi all,

I found this on Amazon:
http://www.amazon.com/Gaui-Foldable-Pro ... gw_p_img_3

Gaui 3 Leaf Foldable Propellers that claims to increase flight time.
Just wanna ask if anyone had them and want to share if they really increase flight time.

Really feel like getting them :)

Cheers,
Max

There have been quite a few discussions about the unsuitability of 3-arm props in relation to quadcopters on here. None recently as far as I know, though. However, I only use standard (that work extremely well) props so what the hell would I know?

These amazon listing is just the holder and only 2, you will need to buy an opposing thread pair and also the blades as well.

I tried some nylon 3 blade props and they were horrible. Motors got hotter than normal and they were difficult to balance. How would you ever balance folding props? Lighter props will increase flight time. These clearly won't be better than stock.

Fplvert said:
I tried some nylon 3 blade props and they were horrible. Motors got hotter than normal and they were difficult to balance. How would you ever balance folding props? Lighter props will increase flight time. These clearly won't be better than stock.

The nylon 3 blade props you talking about are fixed correct? The fixed 3 props are difficult to balance as you need balance horizontal and vertical.

The ones I'm interested in are foldable. According to the link below, they look promising.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2207204

There are some advantages..
easier to balance - just weight them
less damage - they fold if obstructed
cheap to replace - just buy the blade.
and obviously, they are foldable.

Unknown is the flight times. Will efficiency improve with an extra blade for the extra weight? I don't believe everything on the net.

I've always wanted the black props like the compatible tali-500's and I need a spare set.

I have read every prop thread I have ever seen and no one has ever confirmed an improvement over stock, that's my take !! I might have seen some success of putting P2 props on a P1 but not sure.

I was looking at those also. But there are just no reviews about them. I'm kind of hesitant to drop $50 for them if they don't work.
But I do like the way they look. I'm waiting for someone else to be the guinea pig.

At the bottom of the description in the link you posted they said there will be 'a sacrifice in efficiency' indicating you will lose flight time, and besides I used to fly helis before I got into quads and I can tell you its an aggrevation to have to tighten just enough for blade movement and not so much to bind, but not little to flop around. I thought I was on to something when I tried the carbon fiber blades, balanced and everything, what a let down, just didn't perform as well as stock blades. Im all for mods but the stock blades are the best for this bird, after all they are made for it. But thats just my opinion :D :ugeek:

jasonb777 said:
At the bottom of the description in the link you posted they said there will be 'a sacrifice in efficiency' indicating you will lose flight time, and besides I used to fly helis before I got into quads and I can tell you its an aggrevation to have to tighten just enough for blade movement and not so much to bind, but not little to flop around. I thought I was on to something when I tried the carbon fiber blades, balanced and everything, what a let down, just didn't perform as well as stock blades. Im all for mods but the stock blades are the best for this bird, after all they are made for it. But thats just my opinion :D :ugeek:

Did you try fix carbon blades? or 3 way foldable carbon blades?
I know the fixed 2 prop carbon blades are horrific and outright dangerous.

I'll probably guinea pig this. Just need to find out how much for shipping to Australia.

max004 said:
Hi all,

The reviews by FlytPath.com of these "foldable" props are not that good unfortunately.
Check out their youtube review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4FEUree-yU

Motors and props need to be matched for maximum efficiency. DJI has done this.

If you want to change from one prop diameter/pitch/blade count to another there are formulas or rules-of-thumb for doing so.

max004 said:
Hi all,

The reviews by FlytPath.com of these "foldable" props are not that good unfortunately.
Check out their youtube review:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y4FEUree-yU

Thanks for that.

I bought a set from infinity hobby.
I'll post the reviews here once i get them.

I need these for quick ATTI launches.

I've had about 10 flights with the foldable STO props.
There isn't much benefit except for quick launches and ease of storage.

Pros:
Foldable for quick storage and launches.
Collapsible if obstructed which minimises damage - cheaper in long run as the props don't get damaged easily.
They are built well and feels solid.
Looks cool.

Cons:
Less flight time - getting about 12-15 minutes as gains had to be increased.
They weighed heaps more than stock (I don't have a sensitive scale, but you can feel and see it).
Unstable at first as weight was causing the phantom to go up and down when less than 5ft. It was also wobbling a lot. Gains were then changed to 200% and she flew better but motors felt warmer.
It seems that 3 props in this size isn't beneficial as I think its washing it its own dirty air. I don't think STO did any calcs and just simply copied the pitch and length of the stock props and not factoring the number of props.
The screws for folding and holding did not work properly. If you torqued them too hard, the motors could not centrifugal balance the props. If they were loosened, it felt like the props would fall out in flight. On each flight, I would loosen the screw and softly tightened as the plastic washers would expand or shrink. So in the time that you check each screw, it would have been quicker to spin the self-tightening props on.
There was no instructions to assemble or how much torque setting was required.
Expensive - $70 inc delivery to Aus.

On a side note: You can't swap to stock to props unless you had a PC/Laptop with you to change the gain settings.
I made a big mistake over weekend. I had no access to a pc to default the gain settings. All my tilt-test footage had really bad jello when I switched back to stock props with the 200% gain settings. The 200% gain in all settings caused the camera to shake and wobble heavily.
http://youtu.be/7gJfkmXKX1A

These are great if you need to quickly launch your phantom. I've launched the phantom in less than 30 seconds (mid air checklist). Flew in ATTI mode and picked up the FPV + GPS a minute later whilst in the sky. 99% percent of the time you wouldn't need to do this.

3%20leaf%20foldable%203.jpg

3%20leaf%20foldable%202.jpg

3%20leaf%20foldable%201.jpg

I'll revisit this read up more about gain settings to accommodate both stock and 3 leaf. There is magic number in the gain settings that will work to improve efficiency. For now, they will be my back up props.

Mako79 said:
I've had about 10 flights with the foldable STO props.
There isn't much benefit except for quick launches and ease of storage.

Pros:
Foldable for quick storage and launches.
Collapsible if obstructed which minimises damage - cheaper in long run as the props don't get damaged easily.
They are built well and feels solid.
Looks cool.

Cons:
Less flight time - getting about 12-15 minutes as gains had to be increased.
They weighed heaps more than stock (I don't have a sensitive scale, but you can feel and see it).
Unstable at first as weight was causing the phantom to go up and down when less than 5ft. It was also wobbling a lot. Gains were then changed to 200% and she flew better but motors felt warmer.
It seems that 3 props in this size isn't beneficial as I think its washing it its own dirty air. I don't think STO did any calcs and just simply copied the pitch and length of the stock props and not factoring the number of props.
The screws for folding and holding did not work properly. If you torqued them too hard, the motors could not centrifugal balance the props. If they were loosened, it felt like the props would fall out in flight. On each flight, I would loosen the screw and softly tightened as the plastic washers would expand or shrink. So in the time that you check each screw, it would have been quicker to spin the self-tightening props on.
There was no instructions to assemble or how much torque setting was required.
Expensive - $70 inc delivery to Aus.

On a side note: You can't swap to stock to props unless you had a PC/Laptop with you to change the gain settings.
I made a big mistake over weekend. I had no access to a pc to default the gain settings. All my tilt-test footage had really bad jello when I switched back to stock props with the 200% gain settings. The 200% gain in all settings caused the camera to shake and wobble heavily.
http://youtu.be/7gJfkmXKX1A

These are great if you need to quickly launch your phantom. I've launched the phantom in less than 30 seconds (mid air checklist). Flew in ATTI mode and picked up the FPV + GPS a minute later whilst in the sky. 99% percent of the time you wouldn't need to do this.

3%20leaf%20foldable%203.jpg

3%20leaf%20foldable%202.jpg

3%20leaf%20foldable%201.jpg

I'll revisit this read up more about gain settings to accommodate both stock and 3 leaf. There is magic number in the gain settings that will work to improve efficiency. For now, they will be my back up props.

The MC or autopilot gains will do nothing for motor efficiency. They are part of the feedback or control 'loop' used for flight stabilization.
You can read about them here: http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Naza-M ... ot_Setting

When properly sized or substituted a 3-blade propeller will generally have a smaller diameter than the 2-blade propeller that it replaces, which reduces the tip speed and noise. A 2-blade propeller produces two pressure pulses per revolution, where a 3-blade propeller will produce three smaller pulses per revolution (for the same amount of total thrust) which is inherently smoother and therefore further reducing noise.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj