3 flights since back from DJI for cracks repair

Any known crack issues with this version?

Attachments

• 20160109_082920-1.jpg
    20160109_082920-1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 406
Yes there are.
Even that version, reinforce with Bondic and whatever you name it, after 8 flights did crack in others places....

Yes there are.
Even that version, reinforce with Bondic and whatever you name it, after 8 flights did crack in others places....
Thanks.... will keep a close eye on things. Im finding the active breaking an annoyance, doesnt help with anything i can think of and must put additional stress on the airframe.

Id send dji photos and ask for them to ship a new shell at their cost..... that is ridiculous. They come out with a new shell design and still give you the old version in the repair. They wouldnt have gone to the tooling and other expense of implementing the production chamge if it wasnt an attempt to correct a known issue.
How do you check to see if the shell is redesigned?

I've owned several phantoms & never had any issues with cracks.. maybe it's your flying style?!

How do you check to see if the shell is redesigned?
One way is to hold you phantom upside down and shine a flashlight from the motor area to see if you have the x bracing between the motor mounts. There is a thread around here somewhere that shows the differences in the shells. I believe the new shell has larger vent holes as well.

I've owned several phantoms & never had any issues with cracks.. maybe it's your flying style?!
I have cracked all shells of evey phantom since phantom 1. If flying style is the culprit then DJI should disclose that sustained forward flight for minutes with sub 5 mph winds should be avoided.

I have cracked all shells of evey phantom since phantom 1. If flying style is the culprit then DJI should disclose that sustained forward flight for minutes with sub 5 mph winds should be avoided.

Alright mr angry... you're complaining to the wrong person - maybe get in contact with DJI about it.

Like I said before - I've never had problems with cracked shells.. so maybe it is flying style?!

I don't make you keep buying more phantoms do I?

At the end of the day I've got zero problems & you have had many

Surely, you can't be that unlucky to get cracked shells on every phonation for no reason?... Or does that make me extremely lucky with all mine??

I suspect that the shell cracking solution is in two parts.
1 replace the shell
2 replace the motors.

It is not likely DJI is going to do both under warranty unless they had to for some other reason.
They probably figure that the new shell will get you to the end of warranty.

I base this idea on the fact that the new P3's shipped have different moors and shells. So hopefully the problem is fixed for the future.

Alright mr angry... you're complaining to the wrong person - maybe get in contact with DJI about it.

Like I said before - I've never had problems with cracked shells.. so maybe it is flying style?!

I don't make you keep buying more phantoms do I?

At the end of the day I've got zero problems & you have had many

Surely, you can't be that unlucky to get cracked shells on every phonation for no reason?... Or does that make me extremely lucky with all mine??
Mr angry? For what? Where in that message does it say I'm pissed? I'm a little annoyed at your personal comment about me instead of keeping on subject regarding shells that are not suited to the task of withstanding the flying I do. And that is sustained 35-37 mph forward flight. If that is not intended use, then fine. Lucky for me I can afford to keep spares ready to go while cracked ones get sent in. Again, 120 meter high, sustained max forward speed. Manual says nothing against doing this. No, I've never had a crash. Had a few in my align trex 600 way back when, but not with a phantom. I've found them **** near impossible to crash.

Last edited:
Got it back from DJI today. This time with the updated version of the shell.

Crossing my fingers.

Yep, I have had 2 phantom 3 standards both have cracked in the matter of weeks... one on the first flight and the second on the 4th gentle, no hard landings or fast flying.

Luckily RC Geeks here in the UK sent me a new shell... but replacing it is my last step.

I want to try and repair the 2 hairline cracks under one of the motors screws.

If anyone has found a good epoxy or good glue to go over the cracks from the inside, please let me know.

It's bugging me, I have to attempt to fix it before replacing with my spare shell... which is the old shell, no X-brace, just tabs and extra support on the edges of the shell.

Yes there are.

You are correct, even the new shells with the X brace in between the motor screws have cracked.(my first phantom 3 standard had the X-brace, tabs and extra support around the edges) yet it still cracked after my first gentle flight (mostly hovering);

So i am now on my second phantom 3 standard - with no X brace, just tabs and extra support around the edges of the arms.

Do you know for sure this epoxy trick causes cracks elsewhere? cracks should only appear near the 4 motor screws or on the arm screws them selves - the shell doesn't flex or take as much pressure in other parts.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20