3 blades propeler for P2V+?

Reaction score
Hi everyone,
Is there any interest, and risk :shock: using carbon 3 blades propellers for a DJI Phantom (2 )?
Anyone has already tested such propellers?

many thanks for your feedback
Marc

Humm, not that much post related to theses 3 blades propellers!... I will continue to look for an advise

Aside from matching the proper diameter and pitch when 'converting' from two to three blades to maintain efficiency...
in most installations increasing the number of blades helps to reduce noise.
At any one location a 2-blade propeller produces two pressure pulses per revolution, where a 3-blade propeller will produce three smaller pulses per revolution (for the same amount of total thrust) which is inherently smoother and therefore quieter. The 3-blade propeller should generally have a smaller diameter than the 2-blade propeller that it replaces, which also reduces the tip speed and noise.

I agree in theory of 3 blade props should be quieter and more efficient. However, in my experience, they reduce flight time because of weight. They don't seem any quieter, motors were hotter, and they induced jello effect in the video. They were a pia to balance and ended up in the trash. Your mileage may vary, but I'm happy with 9445s for now. :D

they induced jello effect in the video.

The physics relating to spinning objects, for those who wish to learn, will show that three bladed props Do Not cause "jello".
- The effects of gyroscopic precession are pulsed, at double rpm, when using two bladed props.
- Three blade props don't eliminate the effects of gyroscopic precession but, have a smooth consistent response to it.
You encountered some other issue, possibly related to unbalanced props.

"Jello" affected pics/video are only from cameras that use a Rolling Shutter image capture method, (look it up on Wikipedia). Best you get a decent camera.

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik