3/5 Updated Autopilot firmware v3.12 released

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Hey everyone! I've been searching the forums and finding the answers to most of my questions but updating the remote control has given me nothing but problems. I normally use my Mac for everything so I updated the Phantom Vision very easily with the Mac software assistant BUT then I read I also need to update the remote controller too. Luckily I also have Windows based desktops so I was able to download the R/C assistant for Windows. Here is where I ran into problems... All positive, beneficial input will be greatly appreciated!

#1: I have come to the conclusion that it is IMPOSSIBLE to separate my remote control to gain easy access to the micro USB port inside of it. My remote is straight up welded shut around the antenna or somebody put some insane glue around the antenna ring because there's no way I can separate it without breaking it. I was finally able to get the micro USB plugged into it though by bending it open enough to fit some fingers inside.

#2: After I finally got the micro USB plugged in, I thought the update would go as smoothly as it did on my Mac when I updated the Phantom Vision... Yeah, that didn't happen. I downloaded the R/C assistant for Windows on a Dell running Windows Vista. Every time I turn on the remote control to update it, Windows tries to find the drivers to install the remote controller to the computer. Obviously, it found nothing and said install was unsuccessful but the R/C assistant software also refused to recognize the remote control was plugged in! I tried every combination of opening the R/C assistant and turing on the remote controller and clicking yes or no to Windows trying to install the drivers but the R/C assistant software just tells me to plug in the remote. I also attempted this on a PC running Windows 7, same thing happened. I am now waiting for an ancient laptop that runs Windows XP to boot up to give it one last shot.

Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Thanks in advance to anyone that tries to help me out!

YeeaaBoii said:
Does anyone know how to make the R/C assistant recognize the remote? Or is it fine if I updated my Phantom Vision to the latest version (1.08 I believe) and leave the remote controller the way it is? Now I'm afraid to see what's going to happen if I attempt to update the camera.

Hi, Actually the controller is not "glued" around the ring. You just have to lift it out at a slight angle. If you look there's a youtube video showing that off.

Now as far as getting your controller updated. There's just one thing you forgot to do. You need to download the DJI Driver installer. They have two different versions of the installer package. One is for Windows 8 and named as such. The other is For Windows 7 / Vista / XP. It's also worth noting that during the install process of the driver you will get unsigned driver warning prompts, just click continue. Plug your controller back into your PC, switch it on and you should be good to go. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

BenDronePilot said:
YeeaaBoii said:

Hi, Actually the controller is not "glued" around the ring. You just have to lift it out at a slight angle. If you look there's a youtube video showing that off.

Now as far as getting your controller updated. There's just one thing you forgot to do. You need to download the DJI Driver installer. They have two different versions of the installer package. One is for Windows 8 and named as such. The other is For Windows 7 / Vista / XP. It's also worth noting that during the install process of the driver you will get unsigned driver warning prompts, just click continue. Plug your controller back into your PC, switch it on and you should be good to go. Good luck and welcome to the forum.

Thank you for replying so quickly! I know it's not actually glued around the antenna ring but I watched that YouTube video you mentioned before I wrote this post and I have no clue how he popped it off so easily. I have tried pulling and turning every angle and this thing will not budge.

And I will download the driver installer... Sorry for bein' a complete noob! Thank you very much again!

YeeaaBoii said:
BenDronePilot said:
YeeaaBoii said:

Thank you for replying so quickly! I know it's not actually glued around the antenna ring but I watched that YouTube video you mentioned before I wrote this post and I have no clue how he popped it off so easily. I have tried pulling and turning every angle and this thing will not budge.

And I will download the driver installer... Sorry for bein' a complete noob! Thank you very much again!

No problem. Maybe i'll post my own video showing precisely how assembly and disassembly works. You shouldn't have to twist anything to get it on and off tho. And when putting the controller back together, make sure the antenna and the ring is on. Start by sliding the front lip of the back of the controller case into the ring at a slight angle, it will give allowing it to slide in to place. At this point both halves of the controller will be in the ring as you lower the back half the rest of the one onto the front portion, then screw everything down. Hope it all works out and happy flying!

YeeaaBoii said:
...I downloaded the R/C assistant for Windows on a Dell running Windows Vista. Every time I turn on the remote control to update it, Windows tries to find the drivers to install the remote controller to the computer... I also attempted this on a PC running Windows 7, same thing happened. I am now waiting for an ancient laptop that runs Windows XP to boot up to give it one last shot.

First, download & install DJI WIN8 Driver Installer then try again. If you still have problems, right-click shortcut, select Properties / Compatibility / Run this program in compatibility mode for / Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Under "Privilege Level select "Run this program as an administrator," if needed.

As for the camera, if your national television standard is 30Fps 60Hz system frequency (USA) then you don't need the upgrade for now. If your tv standard is 25Fps 50Hz system frequency then you may want to upgrade. Follow the directions posted. Good luck. Most televisions will play 50Hz & 60Hz video, so if you don't absolutely need 50Hz video hold off until we find out more about "Factory Reset".

iDrone

BenDronePilot said:
No problem. Maybe i'll post my own video showing precisely how assembly and disassembly works. You shouldn't have to twist anything to get it on and off tho. And when putting the controller back together, make sure the antenna and the ring is on. Start by sliding the front lip of the back of the controller case into the ring at a slight angle, it will give allowing it to slide in to place. At this point both halves of the controller will be in the ring as you lower the back half the rest of the one onto the front portion, then screw everything down. Hope it all works out and happy flying!

I finally got it off. It didn't SOUND good when I finally got it to break loose because it sounded like I had just snapped the plastic but surprisingly everything was intact. Maybe mine was just a little tighter than normal because it really took some effort and I was pulling at the angle you advised and that was shown in the video I found.

I also got the remote updated no problem once I installed the driver like you said. I even took it out for a test flight just now and everything worked perfectly.

Thanks once again! :D

iDrone said:
As for the camera, if your national television standard is 30Fps 60Hz system frequency (USA) then you don't need the upgrade for now. If your tv standard is 25Fps 50Hz system frequency then you may want to upgrade. Follow the directions posted. Good luck. Most televisions will play 50Hz & 60Hz video, so if you don't absolutely need 50Hz video hold off until we find out more about "Factory Reset".

iDrone

Thanks for the info on the camera update! I guess I won't be needing it for a while like you said.

I found it difficult to reassemble RC box after the update. But, having the antenna parallell position to the box pointing right hand side, made it easy to get halves together.

Re: P2V Camera Bricked on Failed Firmware Update

scgrout said:
I attempted a firmware update for the P2V camera to 1.1.8. The firmware update did not complete properly and now the P2V camera is bricked. The status LED on the camera is constant red (or orange) regardless of switch position. There is no connectivity to the camera at all. According to the manual, a red LED means a "critical error" and requires a "factory reset."

This happened about 15 days ago and I have searched and searched the forums with no luck. I have also emailed DJI tech support 3 times now without single reply from them. I purchased the P2V direct from DJI, so there is no dealer I can turn to. I am now going on 3 weeks with a broken Phantom and no help or hope of getting it fixed. This has turned a $1,200 purchase into a very frustrating experience. I would not recommend this product to others based on how easily it can be bricked and the lack of responsiveness from the maker.

I would appreciate any help I can get. If anyone knows (a) how to reach DJI tech support, or (b) what a factory camera reset is, or (c) how a user might do a factory reset on the camera, or (d) any other resource I might turn to to get my P2V flying again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Man, I feel your pain. So sorry you are having the camera issue. I purchased by PV Dec 10th and only have the updates to do. Wish I could help you but I am learning from the problems you and others are experiencing, and now I am glad I didn't attempt do the camera updates as recommended since my testing shows it is functioning fine at this point, but should proceed with the Transmitter and Phantom upgrades before attempting flight. Am I on the right track everyone??

Good luck with the fix scgrout.
t.rexxer

BenDronePilot said:
YeeaaBoii said:

Good advice Bendronepilot. I will make a note of your recommendations for my update procedure. Thank you very much for the info. Good luck YeeaaBoii...

iDrone said:
YeeaaBoii said:
...I downloaded the R/C assistant for Windows on a Dell running Windows Vista. Every time I turn on the remote control to update it, Windows tries to find the drivers to install the remote controller to the computer... I also attempted this on a PC running Windows 7, same thing happened. I am now waiting for an ancient laptop that runs Windows XP to boot up to give it one last shot.

First, download & install DJI WIN8 Driver Installer then try again. If you still have problems, right-click shortcut, select Properties / Compatibility / Run this program in compatibility mode for / Windows XP (Service Pack 2). Under "Privilege Level select "Run this program as an administrator," if needed.

iDrone

More excellent info. Thank you iDrone. We appreciated your expertise. ;)

t.rexxer said:
Wish I could help you but I am learning from the problems you and others are experiencing, and now I am glad I didn't attempt do the camera updates as recommended since my testing shows it is functioning fine at this point, but should proceed with the Transmitter and Phantom upgrades before attempting flight. Am I on the right track everyone??

Yes. The aircraft firmware updates include fairly critical fixes to prevent invalid battery errors which have resulted in crashes in rare occasions, and uncommanded landings in others.

scgrout said:
I attempted a firmware update for the P2V camera to 1.1.8. The firmware update did not complete properly and now the P2V camera is bricked. The status LED on the camera is constant red (or orange) regardless of switch position. There is no connectivity to the camera at all. According to the manual, a red LED means a "critical error" and requires a "factory reset."

This happened about 15 days ago and I have searched and searched the forums with no luck. I have also emailed DJI tech support 3 times now without single reply from them. I purchased the P2V direct from DJI, so there is no dealer I can turn to. I am now going on 3 weeks with a broken Phantom and no help or hope of getting it fixed. This has turned a $1,200 purchase into a very frustrating experience. I would not recommend this product to others based on how easily it can be bricked and the lack of responsiveness from the maker.

I would appreciate any help I can get. If anyone knows (a) how to reach DJI tech support, or (b) what a factory camera reset is, or (c) how a user might do a factory reset on the camera, or (d) any other resource I might turn to to get my P2V flying again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Well, if all else fails, I would call DroneFly. They are an authorized dealer and repair facility with factory trained techs. They offer a $99.00 repair service that you might want to check out. The DroneFly techs have a direct line into the DJI Austin HQ and their techs, as well. I believe that they could fix this issue for you. I am very sorry that you are having to go through this and I feel your pain!

I have tried dealing directly with DJI. While they put out some decent, innovative products, regarding customer service , THEY SUCK!!!

Best of luck in getting your problem resolved as quickly as possible, and back in the air!

Pull_Up said:
t.rexxer said:
Wish I could help you but I am learning from the problems you and others are experiencing, and now I am glad I didn't attempt do the camera updates as recommended since my testing shows it is functioning fine at this point, but should proceed with the Transmitter and Phantom upgrades before attempting flight. Am I on the right track everyone??

Yes. The aircraft firmware updates include fairly critical fixes to prevent invalid battery errors which have resulted in crashes in rare occasions, and uncommanded landings in others.

Thanks form the confirmation pullup. Cheers!

iDrone said:
... clip ...

11) If you have one of the first PV TX/controllers, you'll need to open it to access the microUSB port on one of the PC boards inside by removing 4-screws in the back.

... clip ...

DJI's european support is telling me that there's not such a thing as Phantom 2 Vision having USB connector on the TX box. Only phantom 2, with 2.4 g tx supports external usb port updatebility.

Can somebody post a picture of Phantom 2 Vision TX having USB-connector on the box ? Is the product number PVT581? A picture would help me in further discussions.

Thanks.

Thanks for the write-up! This is a great read for me as I just got my PV today from B&H based on other recommendations in this forum. It's also my first post. So much help here. Anyway, I haven't flown mine yet, but was able to successfully upgrade the Vision, transmitter and camera all to the latest firmware without a hitch. My question is this: do I have to re-calibrate the transmitter since updating the firmware or should everything "just work". I was able to calibrate to compass and spin up the motors a few times before the firmware update outside before the rains came, but no lift off was done. Do I need to re-calibrate to Vision's compass again also? Thanks!

BigPig said:
Thanks for the write-up! This is a great read for me as I just got my PV today from B&H based on other recommendations in this forum. It's also my first post. So much help here. Anyway, I haven't flown mine yet, but was able to successfully upgrade the Vision, transmitter and camera all to the latest firmware without a hitch. My question is this: do I have to re-calibrate the transmitter since updating the firmware or should everything "just work". I was able to calibrate to compass and spin up the motors a few times before the firmware update outside before the rains came, but no lift off was done. Do I need to re-calibrate to Vision's compass again also? Thanks!

You're welcome! Welcome to the fold! One of beauties of the Assistant's is that they read the Controller & Vision and let you know if anything looks awry and needs recalibrating. If your sticks zero w/hands off and the numbers are identical limit-to-limit, then I'd say your Controller is fine. If you check the IMU and it says its fine, then you're done there too, 'tho it cant hurt if you want to calibrate it. As for recalibrating the compass, you picked an interesting day to do your first one as there was a "CME" (coronal mass ejection / aka solar flare) yesterday, all bets are off on most all compasses unless they're gyro-based. So yes, you might want to do another one just before you fly.

As always, you can test your compass calibration by doing a 10' hover to see if it holds station, or send your Vision out 10m and execute an RTH by turning off the transmitter. Vision should ascend to 20m, fly home, hover 15-sec, then begin a slow descent. It should come straight down without circling (except if compensating for wind shear). If it starts circling in greater diameters in what's been fondly called the "toilet bowl" effect, switch on the transmitter and flip S1 to middle position to disconnect GPS NAV then takeover flight control to bring it in for a safe landing, then perform a compass calibration. If it doesn't relinquish control, flip S1 up & down a couple times until you have sticks back with the switch in the middle position. Once landed: Left stick throttle down for approx 3-secs to shutdown the motors.

iDrone

I'm trying to upgrade TX/controller but just can't get the antenna part. It's just so tight and I don't have a slightest idea which way to move the case half without breaking the antenna.

Help needed.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic