3/5 Updated Autopilot firmware v3.12 released

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your new Vision! Updated 12/1

Took the controller apart per instr - found the mini usb, plugged it into my Win 7, installed the RC Asst softwareI updated my firmware, Calibrated toggles, put it back together.
Went outside, powered on the controller/range extender,calibrated compass connected w/ my FPV device, got a picture , but now when I try to start motors, (toggles down, center) nothing happens.

?? Any suggestion would be appreciated

To confirm your TX/Controller is outputting an RF signal and the PV is picking it up, reconnect your PV's USB to Vision Assistant (not RC Assistant), turn on your TX/Controller and see if the sliders move onscreen when you wiggle them.

iDrone

IDrone - thanks for the tip. This is a follow up to my problem report of two days ago, wherein I could not get a response from the craft - motors did not start. My Dealer, ALLeRC, suggested I rebind the controller to the V2. I checked that, and the controller/V2 were connected, but, I preformed the link procedure anyway. Still didn't work. I re-calibrated the toggles, and the motors did start. However when I attempted to flight test it, the motors would not accelerate enough to ascend. I posted this problem, and someone suggested that perhaps I had somehow bound my controller to MODE 2, and suggested I try the right toggle for acceleration. That is the problem! However, my RC Controller app shows I've selected MODE 1, and there does not seem to be any "how to" instruction to reverse this in the RC Controller software. I learned long ago not to "experiment" with software that could render something useless..Are you familiar w/the RC Controller software?

Update: 30Dec. I think I resolved my issue. based on your comments and looking at a couple of YouTube vids, I discovered the PV2 should be on MODE 2, I had it on MODE 1- and switched it accordingly via the RC Asst software. It seemed to be working properly on the floor.
FWIW, I somehow stumbled onto success last night. This a.m. I put my FPV stuff together and annoyed the horses in an adjoining pasture.
(This) Problem Solved!

goinup said:
...and someone suggested that perhaps I had somehow bound my controller to MODE 2, and suggested I try the right toggle for acceleration. That is the problem! However, my RC Controller app shows I've selected MODE 1, and there does not seem to be any "how to" instruction to reverse this in the RC Controller software. I learned long ago not to "experiment" with software that could render something useless..Are you familiar w/the RC Controller software?

Whoever thought to check that deserves a free battery, nice find! BTW is your TX/Controller in CE or FCC mode? When you launch RC Assistant it should read your sticks & mode and let you to calibrate them. Those two circles at the top are not only indicators, they're buttons. Click the circle next to Mode 1 and it should update.

If you're still unable to override MODE, try disconnecting the USB from RC Assistant, power-off the TX/Controller and turn the CE/FCC trim pot to the opposite end. Turn it back on & reconnect to RC Assistant to try changing modes again... it's a shot in the dark as it shouldn't matter if its set to CE or FCC but its all software controlled so who knows if the Assistant software missed this condition.

iDrone

Thanks for all that comprehensive info about the upgrade! My PV 2 is new (purchased around the end of Nov). I've been flying it for about a week and so far no issues. But these threads & issues are worrisome. I have not done the update because I see they all mention "PC" and I am a Mac user.

When I go to this link: http://www.dji.com/download/phantom-2-vision-downloads/ I am not certain which download is the right one. Do you guys know? I'm being conservative in my flying as I learn the PV2…but there's always a sense of nervousness wondering when it might take off on its own, or do something crazy!

Thanks for the advice! :)

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your new Vision! Updated 12/3

Yes there is an Mac update...although I am a computer illiterate (hence a Mac user) and hope that the application is 'self-explanatory'. My P2 Vision was delivered (late December) with an internal USB port inside the controller, and I too hope not to have to re-build the hand-controller much.

Just got my PV today, hooked up the controller / TX to my mac via the micro USB port.... nothing, went to the phantom assistant > upgrade - doesnt seem to recognize it. tried it on a PC an nothing... Tried a few USB cables, still nothin.

Anyone have this issue? am i doing something wrong?

Rc Transmitter turned on?

Battery for P2V charged, in the P2V, and turned On?

Install the DJI Phantom driver in the PC,
plugging in the P2V when the PC asks for it?

correct. i was able to upgrade the firmware on the PV quadracopter but when i plugged in the transmitter there was no response from the program. nothing seems to come up under the "upgrade" panel.

For checking and updating the RC Transmitter, you cannot use the Mac,
and must use the RC Assistant, not the P2V Assistant program on the PC.

garygid said:
For checking and updating the RC Transmitter, you cannot use the Mac,
and must use the RC Assistant, not the P2V Assistant program on the PC.

Good info garygid. Thanks for this. Still haven' taken the time to do this but everything else is a go, including using my 1st edition Nexus 7 as the video uplink. Too cold to fly now. Maybe over the weekend.

Correction Jan 4th highlighted in RED:

DJI has not yet released RC Assistant for the Mac. However you should still be able to operate your upgraded Vision irregardless.

[Correction: DJI warns upgrading one and not the other may result in "potential communications failure" so you must upgrade the TX/Controller to at least v1.0.2.22 before upgrading Vision to v1.05 or later - thanks to BenDtonePilot for catching this]

The following list of features were added or improved in the latest RC firmware but not having them does -not- inhibit control & operation of your upgraded Vision:

a) Algorithm is improved so that even under CE compliant mode, the communication range of Remote Controller can achieve around 400 meters in open areas.

b) Using RC Assistant Software, users can calibrate the sticks and switch between Mode 1 and Mode 2.

c) Other minor bugs fixed.

If you have Parallels or VMware Fusion running on your Mac, you can download & install RC Assistant for PC and upgrade your TX/Controller that way.

iDrone

iDrone you have just written and updated the bible for the P2V - thanks mate - it's greatly appreciated....and gives me confidence :D

iDrone said:
DJI has not yet released RC Assistant for the Mac. However you should still be able to operate your upgraded Vision irregardless. The following list of features were added or improved in the latest RC firmware but not having them does -not- inhibit control & operation of your upgraded Vision:

a) Algorithm is improved so that even under CE compliant mode, the communication range of Remote Controller can achieve around 400 meters in open areas.

b) Using RC Assistant Software, users can calibrate the sticks and switch between Mode 1 and Mode 2.

c) Other minor bugs fixed.

If you have Parallels or VMware Fusion running on your Mac, you can download & install RC Assistant for PC and upgrade your TX/Controller that way.

iDrone

What I would be concerned about here are the "other bug fixes" DJI themselves also recommends against updating the Phantom without the RC being updated along with it. So in my opinion it's bad advice to recommend to anyone to update their firmware if their RC remote isn't at the current version as well. It's seriously not worth the risk of potentially loosing control of your Phantom.

iDrone said:
[EDIT: 12/07]
How to upgrade your camera firmware:
WARNING: As up this edit (12/08) there have been a few posts of users no longer being able to access their cameras after attempting the update. Some have had success by rebinding the repeater & camera (see manual). DJI advises a "factory reset" may be required, but was unspecific whether this could be done by the end-user or the unit must be returned to the dealer or factory. If you're camera is currently working, you might want to wait until this is sorted out first. FYI the upgrade enables 25Frame 50Hz television standard support. If you want to proceed follow the steps below.

iDrone

So those of us in the States don't need to upgrade firmware if this is the only change. Correct? (and thanks iDrone)

P2V Camera Bricked on Failed Firmware Update

I attempted a firmware update for the P2V camera to 1.1.8. The firmware update did not complete properly and now the P2V camera is bricked. The status LED on the camera is constant red (or orange) regardless of switch position. There is no connectivity to the camera at all. According to the manual, a red LED means a "critical error" and requires a "factory reset."

This happened about 15 days ago and I have searched and searched the forums with no luck. I have also emailed DJI tech support 3 times now without single reply from them. I purchased the P2V direct from DJI, so there is no dealer I can turn to. I am now going on 3 weeks with a broken Phantom and no help or hope of getting it fixed. This has turned a $1,200 purchase into a very frustrating experience. I would not recommend this product to others based on how easily it can be bricked and the lack of responsiveness from the maker.

I would appreciate any help I can get. If anyone knows (a) how to reach DJI tech support, or (b) what a factory camera reset is, or (c) how a user might do a factory reset on the camera, or (d) any other resource I might turn to to get my P2V flying again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Re: P2V Camera Bricked on Failed Firmware Update

scgrout said:
I attempted a firmware update for the P2V camera to 1.1.8. The firmware update did not complete properly and now the P2V camera is bricked. The status LED on the camera is constant red (or orange) regardless of switch position. There is no connectivity to the camera at all. According to the manual, a red LED means a "critical error" and requires a "factory reset."

This happened about 15 days ago and I have searched and searched the forums with no luck. I have also emailed DJI tech support 3 times now without single reply from them. I purchased the P2V direct from DJI, so there is no dealer I can turn to. I am now going on 3 weeks with a broken Phantom and no help or hope of getting it fixed. This has turned a $1,200 purchase into a very frustrating experience. I would not recommend this product to others based on how easily it can be bricked and the lack of responsiveness from the maker.

I would appreciate any help I can get. If anyone knows (a) how to reach DJI tech support, or (b) what a factory camera reset is, or (c) how a user might do a factory reset on the camera, or (d) any other resource I might turn to to get my P2V flying again I would greatly appreciate it.

Thanks in advance for your help.

SHiiiiiiiiiit I would be SO Pist off. Mostly because of the lack of support from DJI :!:
Is it possible for you to phone them?
Im sure you of course have tried to do a new update? ALso try to download the file from DJI again and try again.
There are two files in the update the Firmware.bin and a Txt file. I don't know at all if the update need the txt file also but I have just updated my camera 5 mins ago and that was without any problems (I hope, because I haven't tried it yet).

I was thinking if there are anyway we as a usergroup can send a complain to DJI, not only for your problem but for their lack of service in general. I think if it was written professional and from the whole community here, they have to take it serious. For what I can see, we are about 4,500 members in here!!!!!

Again I'm really feeling with you, and hope you get it sorted as fast as posibble.

Cheers
Klaus

Re: P2V Camera Bricked on Failed Firmware Update

BenDronePilot said:
...DJI themselves also recommends against updating the Phantom without the RC being updated along with it.
You are correct/tnx: I've updated a previous post & the Upgrade instructions for Mac users w/the details why.

iResq said:
...So those of us in the States don't need to upgrade (camera) firmware if this is the only change. Correct? (and thanks iDrone)
You're welcome and yes... at the moment you risk losing the use of your camera if the camera firmware update fails as none of us yet know what the "Factory Reset" is.

scgrout said:
...I have also emailed DJI tech support 3 times now without single reply from them. I purchased the P2V direct from DJI, so there is no dealer I can turn to. I am now going on 3 weeks with a broken Phantom and no help or hope of getting it fixed... Thanks in advance for your help.
I'm sorry as I know you we're one of the first to discover this problem. If you filed a trouble report on DJI's website I believe both DJI Texas & Factory will receive it. It can take the the factory as long as a week to respond, so hang in there.

iDrone

Re: Upgrade firmware B4 flying your Vision! Update 1/4: FYI

Thanks all for your support. I am confident this will be resolved and will be patient but persistent. In the mean time am missing some great flying days here in the Northwest.

I appreciate all of your help with alternate dji contact info as well as keeping an eye out for possible instructions on how to recover a bricked camera from a failed firmware update. Great community here.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Spicehub