3,200 feet distance, after losing video feed and WiFi Signal at 1,500 feet… P3 Standard, all stock

Reaction score
I posted about this in a different thread, so please forgive me,
But I wanted to start my own and ask this questions:
Has anyone tried it? Is it a bad idea?

Here is my deal,
I live in an urban area with a lot of interference…
I usually lose video Wifi signal after around 1,000 – 1,300 feet.
However my RC Radio signal stays strong.

So on Sunday I went for a fly, I lost video at 1,500’ as usual, but kept going.
When I got far enough where my drone was just a dot in the sky, I called RTH and went home.
Looked at flight video from SD card to see how far I got, and then measured distance on Google maps, I got to about 3,300 feet from the start point.

I fly out of my back yard, I live next to 2 schools, ambulance station, apartment buildings, and a lot of houses, so there is A LOT of interference.
Unfortunately my car broke down, and I don’t always have a chance to go to a better flying area.

And another question: is there way to record distance in the app without WiFi connection?
Right now I have to use visual references and check the map to see how far I get!

My problem is video cutting out way before the radio RC signal… I realize that many fellow pilots on this forum live and fly in rural areas or have access to large open land without much interference, so that is not a problem,
But for a P3-Standard pilots like myself living in a urban area it’s an issue, and I’m just trying to extend my range a little and have some fun flying that thing..., for more than 1,000 feet away.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks guys!

Attachments

• Drone1.PNG
    Drone1.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 5,458
  • Drone2.PNG
    Drone2.PNG
    1.8 MB · Views: 3,365
well i think flying blind is a very bad idea unless you still had drone in visual sight?
u can try a single antenna windsurfer mod off ebay.
i paid £5 for mine and its extended my range by about 30 or 40 %

but tbh mate ive heard of guys getting over 5500 feet with a standard with video feed.
ive an advanced myself and when i first flew it from my back garden i lost video feed at 2000 feet...i almost cried because was expecting lots more.
took it outside my village and flew it across fields and got 8000 feet instantly with still full signals when i turned around.ive now extended that to 11500 feet last weekend still with full signals
just shows how much interference you get near your house mate.
try the windsurfer mod

Reactions: Bob8619
Yep. No solution for urban area. As wi-fi is number 1 culprit. Post a note to everyone. Shut your wifi off. Hehehe. I do agree flying blind is not good. The fact you could see anything from 1000ft is a miracle. For sure you can't at 3000ft. Not without binoculars. You won't have it long like that. Even if in city without transportation. Just wait for those special moments to go long. Other wise I would just do short hops and enjoy the videos. I'm Also in the city and I want our downtown. But I'm gonna have to go over 400 to do it. Our tallest building is 579ft I will do it early one morning. Up and down. Good luck to you.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

but tbh mate ive heard of guys getting over 5500 feet with a standard with video feed.
ive an advanced myself and when i first flew it from my back garden i lost video feed at 2000 feet...i almost cried because was expecting lots more.
took it outside my village and flew it across fields and got 8000 feet instantly with still full signals when i turned around.ive now extended that to 11500 feet last weekend still with full signals
just shows how much interference you get near your house mate.
try the windsurfer mod

Thanks buddy, actually i put together a homemade windsurfer this morning. My problem is the WiFi signal, and windsurfer only helps the radio RC signal, and mine is pretty strong even without the windsurfer... But I can't even imagine going over 5,000 feet without losing video. I would be happy with 2000 :weary:

Yep. No solution for urban area. As wi-fi is number 1 culprit. Post a note to everyone. Shut your wifi off. Hehehe. I do agree flying blind is not good. The fact you could see anything from 1000ft is a miracle. For sure you can't at 3000ft. Not without binoculars. You won't have it long like that. Even if in city without transportation. Just wait for those special moments to go long. Other wise I would just do short hops and enjoy the videos. I'm Also in the city and I want our downtown. But I'm gonna have to go over 400 to do it. Our tallest building is 579ft I will do it early one morning. Up and down. Good luck to you.

You know its funny that you brought up using binoculars.. That's exactly what i thought of doing to help me see my drone when i go long! Actually I ordered a monocular on amazon couple of days ago and received it today. I also ordered a head mount like the ones special ops use for night vision, so im gonna attach my monocular to the head mount , so my hands are free to hold the remote! This way i can still see my drone when it goes over 3000'..
I wonder what my neighbors will think when they see me running around my back yard with a 'night vision' headset and RC remote :eek: lol.. "oh this poor guy has lost his **** mind :confused:" lol

so you are going to film downtown tampa? thats a nice place. just be careful flying around that tall building. also its very easy to lose wifi link, they probably got that building packed with routers and antennas!
also dont forget to set RTH height to over the height of the tallest building in the area. in case if you lose signal RTH will bring it home safely!

Yep. Gonna do it. Even with out wifi I will go up for about 3 mins. I will set rth to 800 ft. Should clear everything. But I will have a spotter there to look out. That sounds interesting but I'm also thinking about how to get so goggles on my standard. I know it can be done. Almost makes me want to sell my standard and upgrade to inspire. But so much money. My credit cards will be screaming.

Yep. Gonna do it. Even with out wifi I will go up for about 3 mins. I will set rth to 800 ft. Should clear everything. But I will have a spotter there to look out. That sounds interesting but I'm also thinking about how to get so goggles on my standard. I know it can be done. Almost makes me want to sell my standard and upgrade to inspire. But so much money. My credit cards will be screaming.

Hey Tony, a couple weeks ago we were chatting in a thread where you were talking about finally going long. Was that with a Standard??

Hey Tony, a couple weeks ago we were chatting in a thread where you were talking about finally going long. Was that with a Standard??
Yes. I got over 7000 feet with just standard remote
6e9c84b5ed542ee67ebbbb96fe6a53ab.jpg

My stock P3S did 7k out with windsurfer only, it started to lose video at that distance but I still had control signal.. Once I came back 100 ft. video signal resumed. Total flight distance was 36,558 ft. (6.92) miles. Started 100% batt landed with 17%. I'm pretty happy with that.. I use the same flight route with my P3P but get 13,300 ft. out with that.. I live in an area with little interference.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456017494.137427.jpg
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots1456017512.971804.jpg

Last edited:
My stock P3S did 7k out with windsurfer only, it started to lose video at that distance but I still had control signal.. Once I came back 100 ft. video signal resumed. Total flight distance was 36,558 ft. (6.92) miles. Started 100% batt landed with 17%. I'm pretty happy with that.. I use the same flight route with my P3P but get 13,300 ft. out with that.. I live in an area with little interference. View attachment 44462View attachment 44463
Grats. I just got windsurfer. Wonder if I will get more distance. But I'm sure I will lose video. Don't want to fly blind.

Man, that's a great distance for P3 Standard!!
I got this monoscope and head mount so i can fly beyond my WiFi range and still see it... Its a shame because my radio signal is full bars, but video cuts out at 1,300 feet.
MonoC.jpg

I got 9200ft. 1.7mi. today with stock P3S with windsurfer. With great video feed all the way until it lost connection and RTH.

8a5ed1e405dd45b594c91873ac3b8944.jpg

Reactions: Bob8619

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj