3.16 updates x 2 -- OK

Reaction score
So a friend of mine came over with his new Phantom (Bought today) for some support in getting the IOC enabled and RTH mode on his mode switch.

He had 3.14 on his Phantom and of course the latest ver of assistant insisted on 3.16. Steve has read the horror stories about 3.16 so was concerned.

I felt his pain so I went through the 3.16 "Update" on my own Phantom first even though I swore I wouldn't rock the boat as my Phantom flew so well on 3.12 and with Futaba T8J Radio.

Well, I ran the update and checked all parameters afterward. I ran the TX cal even though it looked ok and also the quick IMU Cal, just for kicks. I didn't have to change anything else, like switch positions or gimbal centers. I did run the compass calibration dance though as the Assistant told me it needed GPS Calibration after the update.

Test flight wasn't too bad but in GPS Mode I had the dreaded circle of doom. The Phantom was slowly moving in a widening clockwise circle, plus it was exhibiting a nervousness to the motor control I didn't like much.

So we installed the firmware again, ran advanced calibration and did another compass dance outside. After that it was all good !!

So enthused by my update Steve decided we should do his. We installed the firmware, corrected the receiver type, reprogrammed his mode switch to GPS/ATT/RTH and enabled IOC.
Test flight was MINT.

Early days but thus far, 3.16 seems ok....................... ?

<-- Steve

Yea what he said. A few small probs but it seems re-calibrating and/or resetting and power cycling fixed everything eventually. So far so good. All up to date and flying amazing. Still using stock radio here but currently looking for an upgrade rx/tx.

Ever since I went through the upgrade hell, and the initial flight was doing the toilet bowl swirl things have improved. Warm up is crazy fast, ready to fly in 30 seconds instead of three minutes. And pretty steady in flight now. So far, thumbs up.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic