3.12 and gps lock

Reaction score
about 5 or 6 weeks back I upgraded both by Phantoms to the higher gain 4mm gps antenna. Both went from hard to lock to I could fly any where any time it seemed.

Anyhow my plus camera was updated in Jan and I noticed odd effects on videos the other day. So I thought the camera update was a match to 3.10. so I figured go ahead and update to 3.12 to see if camera issue goes away.

I immediately noticed my sat count and lock was just like before I updated antenna---5 sats for 5 -7 minutes in drive, never a lock--on sat charts it was a bad time of day.. did not matter the last month what time it was it just worked!

get out my P2 v1( 3.08)with updated antenna as well, set next to plus and fire it up--- all green with lock in about 2 minutes---on sat charts it was a bad time of day

reflashed back to 3.08 and has all green sat lock in house again within 2 minutes of reboot... same bird had no lock outside 15 minutes prior with 3.12 after 5 minutes or more.

It could be me but I am staying 3.08 if the update messes with my gps. It works great now so please don't fix it

Remember, GPS birds are not in geostationary or geosynchronous orbits; they are in MEO (Medium Earth Orbits).
They are constantly moving in your hemisphere of view.
It is very much time AND location dependent.
At ground level, at any one time you may have as few as 3 or up to 13 birds in view, depending on the birds in view, and obstructions.
As the bird gains altitude the obstructions go away.

Watch the blue spot on the earth in the gif below. That is a location at 45° latitude.
As the earth rotates, the birds are also orbiting.

So, you see, it's very much a crapshoot based on time and location.

Set your phantom down in a spot, turn everything on and watch the Satellite count go up and down.

Attachments

• ConstellationGPS.gif
    ConstellationGPS.gif
    485.5 KB · Views: 819
thanks for the info. I use the satnav link to monitor coverage.

What I saw with this was immediately after the 3.12 I was unable to get a lock in a location I have and can get lock at ALL times of day for 5 or 6 weeks since I updated antenna.
Put another P2 with 3.08 next to plus with 3.12 both have updated antenna's

The p2 with 3.08 acted normal and got lock in about 1.5 minutes
The P2 with 3.12 still did not get lock

Re flashed back to 3.12 on the plus and immediately received sat lock upon reboot in the house again.

The side by side coparison pretty much rules out coverage as issue-- I locked , one did not same time , same place. ONLY change was 3.12 vs 3.08

Hmm. I have not noticed that. I always carry a BU-353 GPS usb puck plugged into my laptop to cross check the dji app.
I have always seen pretty good correlation.

Has anyone else noticed that the navcomtech satpredictor has gone??

I have really grown to rely on this and would willingly pay a small annual fee for the information it gave me, never flew without checking it first...HELP

Getting this message now

"We're sorry, satpredictor.navcomtech.com is currently unavailable."

Yup. I haven't been able to connect for awhile now.

You must have GPS in your phone?
Download "GPS Status" and it will give you a nice sky map with all the birds in view.

Just tried it so It's not just you.

But then again I never pay any mind to that or the K-index for that matter, just wind and precipitation.

CapnBob said:
Remember, GPS birds are not in geostationary or geosynchronous orbits; they are in MEO (Medium Earth Orbits).
They are constantly moving in your hemisphere of view.
It is very much time AND location dependent.
At ground level, at any one time you may have as few as 3 or up to 13 birds in view, depending on the birds in view, and obstructions.
As the bird gains altitude the obstructions go away.

Watch the blue spot on the earth in the gif below. That is a location at 45° latitude.
As the earth rotates, the birds are also orbiting.

So, you see, it's very much a crapshoot based on time and location.

Set your phantom down in a spot, turn everything on and watch the Satellite count go up and down.
We get more sats in MS ! ;)
That was on 3.08 though.

Attachments

• 15 sats.PNG
    15 sats.PNG
    716.6 KB · Views: 554

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic