3.08 Battery Dying Help

Reaction score
Just had my first battery problem. I had around 7 min of fly time left and the battery went all the way down to 7% like a rock. Luckily, I saw that it was dropping and landed it. I got back home and the Phantom Assistant Software. I'm afraid to fly it now with this problem. I have anther battery however I wonder if it will do the same thing? It's still under warranty, bought it at US Hobby. Any suggestions?

Attachments

• Phantom BAttery.png
    Phantom BAttery.png
    234.4 KB · Views: 588
Last edited:
If you are using the software that shows your remaining time based on your location to home point, it can be very deceiving at times.

Yes, and I have another battery that I got when I purchased it. Ran it down 0% and just got a damaged cell warning.

So I charged both of them back up, the one that died on me and this one that now is reading a cell damage.
I took it out today and put in the air to about 30ft with the first battery that died yesterday and went to 7%. The app said I had 5 min of fly time (40% battery I want to say) time left and dropped down to 7% like a rock and auto landed. So it looks like that battery is bad.

I popped the second battery in that came up with a bad cell warning. Put it in the air at 30ft and just watched. Basic movement. It did great until it got down to 33% and it dropped like a rock as well. It auto landed but almost didn't make it as it got to 5% when it landed.

Now I had these batteries fully charged and stored in my tradecraft from late January to this week. Even though they were stored for month fully charged, shouldn't these batteries not fail like this? I mean this could have been dangerous if I were flying far away, there would have been no time to bring it home and land. From what I've read, these things should have a life cycle of 400 cycles before the cells go bad. I've tried to email UShobby but they did not email me back about issue.

Attachments

• Phantom Battery 2.png
    Phantom Battery 2.png
    306.4 KB · Views: 445
smoke23 said:
Yes, and I have another battery that I got when I purchased it. Ran it down 0% and just got a damaged cell warning.

So I charged both of them back up, the one that died on me and this one that now is reading a cell damage.
I took it out today and put in the air to about 30ft with the first battery that died yesterday and went to 7%. The app said I had 5 min of fly time (40% battery I want to say) time left and dropped down to 7% like a rock and auto landed. So it looks like that battery is bad.

I popped the second battery in that came up with a bad cell warning. Put it in the air at 30ft and just watched. Basic movement. It did great until it got down to 33% and it dropped like a rock as well. It auto landed but almost didn't make it as it got to 5% when it landed.

Now I had these batteries fully charged and stored in my tradecraft from late January to this week. Even though they were stored for month fully charged, shouldn't these batteries not fail like this? I mean this could have been dangerous if I were flying far away, there would have been no time to bring it home and land. From what I've read, these things should have a life cycle of 400 cycles before the cells go bad. I've tried to email UShobby but they did not email me back about issue.

You are supposed to store them with about 40%-50% charge. All my batteries are doing really well as I have been following this rule. Lipo storage guidelines suggest not storing them for long periods fully charged or empty. After every use I charge back up to 2 LEDs or slightly more. Then I plan my flights and charge to 100% and fly. This has worked for me knock on wood. You may want to try storing them this way. It may even bring the one back to life. Not sure about the bad cell one. That has been my experience. Seems to work. Good luck. You can return them for replacement explaining what is happening. Just don't mention the storage at 100% would be my suggestion. If you get new ones, try to follow the storage at 40-50% guideline.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
adrie