3.06 - check or uncheck - that is the question.

Reaction score
I flew all 4 batteries today using the new 3.06 firmware. I had read about the new battery operation in the P2 assistant but really didn't pay enough attention to what it did.

On my first battery I had been up for a while and was far away and high. I lost all control and was terrified. The P2 did a return to home just like it was supposed to do. While it was desending the rear lights were still blinking green . About 20 foot from the ground it slowed to a hover and then countinued down slowly. As it came down the rear light starting blinking red showing the battery was low.

I got home and fired up the software and went to the battery screen. This time I paid attention to what it said. I found out I really didn't lose control but did a auto RTH like it was suppose to do. It is pretty cool that the software did what it was supposed to do. It knew by the distance and altitude that it was time to come home. Now I am trying to decide weather to leave it like this or unckeck it.

I would like to hear the pros and cons of each way. What do you guys think and what are which way are you leaving it?

Thanks in advance for your comments.

Hmmm I thought vision phantoms only has RTH calculation feature.

Agree with the above, I also thought the calculation was a P2 Vision thing. But I believe the update applies to all P2's, I could be wrong.

"July 29, 2014 PHANTOM 2 Main Controller Firmware V3.06 released
What’s new? Main Controller Firmware
1. When the battery level reaches a Critical Battery Level Warning, the aircraft will automatically land. The motors will power off after landing.
2. When the battery level reaches a Low Battery Level Warning, Auto Go Home will be activated.*
3. The speed of descent will be automatically adjusted based on current altitude.
4. Minimum adjustable height limit set to 20m.
5. Magnetic declination value stored to improve flight course accuracy.
6.Various bug fixes.

Phantom 2 PC Assistant
1. Added Japanese as a supported language.
Notes*:
1. The main controller firmware must be updated to v3.06 to use all of the above features.
2.Be aware that aircraft will now automatically return to the Home point on Low Battery Level Warning. If you wish to disable the auto go-home feature, launch DJI Phantom Assistant, enter “Battery Settings” section and de-select the “Go-Home” option."

I have 3 batteries and flew over the weekend both sat and sun, and triggered a RTH twice, using a FPV I was montoring the battery levels and brought it near to me before the RTH triggered. A; I wanted to see if it was suppose to do what the update said it would and B; wanted the batteries fairly low to recharge them competely again on a 20 times usage recycle.

I guess whether it's right for you or not depends where you fly. If you're in open spaces, or up high, it seems like a useful safety feature. If you're flying in places with obstacles such as tall trees that could come between you and your Phantom as it makes its beeline back to you when RTH triggers, it's probably not so good!

For me, I leave the RTH unchecked. I rarely fly without LOS and if I am running a battery all the way down, it is because I am trying to get a critical shot before I land. Nothing could be worse than flying into a really tight spot and having RTH triggered and having the P2 fly up to 60 feet. Autoland at 15% is not as bad because I am always watching the battery and would only be a few feet off the ground if the battery was that low anyway.

Im interested to see there isn't an 'air time' trigger (from +1 metres) in the HUD data would help to monitor flight times. So does everyone here fly by monitoring battery voltage, if so what's your own 'return to home' trigger?

rokit said:

The P2 has the same thing just no warning on a screen like the Vision/Vision +. But on those if you don't see it on the screen after 10 seconds you get a surprise RTH.

I really wish they would get the Bluetooth (BTU) module working on the Phantom's. That way we could easily change the setting from our cell phones depending where we are flying. Does anyone know if they are working on this?

hrosee said:
rokit said:

The P2 has the same thing just no warning on a screen like the Vision/Vision +. But on those if you don't see it on the screen after 10 seconds you get a surprise RTH.

I really wish they would get the Bluetooth (BTU) module working on the Phantom's. That way we could easily change the setting from our cell phones depending where we are flying. Does anyone know if they are working on this?

From other post I was told p2 non vision will only RTH at 20% battery level.

rokit said:
From other post I was told p2 non vision will only RTH at 20% battery level.
yeh my P2 always goes into RTH at 20% no matter how far/close it is to home. So will a vision let the battery run flatter than the 20% if its close to home? & wonder why they use the 2 different parameters

I thought if RTH is triggered the Phantom is suppose to climb to 60 feet before returning. That way it would climb above the trees in most areas.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1