3.04 Memorial Day flight

Reaction score
first test after updating to 3.04
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_5QVErW ... cMxKR6tbzQ
noticing lots of jello on the left leg... holy wobble wobble!
shooting at 2.7k I'm not worried as i always crop down to 1920. however i tried seeing if the jello was in the corners when the leg wasn't in the shot... so hard to tell. what do you see?
3.04 seems to be working fine for me
:shock:

RedRyderMedia said:
If I established home between two of my cars, guarantee it would RTH and nail one or the other or both!
i made home about 15 feet up my driveway. problem is its really slanted and rough asphalt. so after establishing home lock position and calibrating compass i moved it back to a flat spot. haven't had any problems yet doing it like this.
I try not to anything automatic. i prefer the feeling of manual and will probably never use RTH other then to simply test to make sure it works.
thoughts-
whats the trickiest take off and landing you've had??!!!

Kelso Kubat said:
RedRyderMedia said:
If I established home between two of my cars, guarantee it would RTH and nail one or the other or both!
i made home about 15 feet up my driveway. problem is its really slanted and rough asphalt. so after establishing home lock position and calibrating compass i moved it back to a flat spot. haven't had any problems yet doing it like this.
I try not to anything automatic. i prefer the feeling of manual and will probably never use RTH other then to simply test to make sure it works.
thoughts-
If you move the Phantom after it establishes home, it sets a new home. You cannot move it.

RedRyderMedia said:
Kelso Kubat said:
RedRyderMedia said:
thoughts-
If you move the Phantom after it establishes home, it sets a new home. You cannot move it.
good to know. i was wondering about that.
isn't the initial RTH point when the green rapid flashes through its cycle quickly?

Kelso Kubat said:
shooting at 2.7k I'm not worried as i always crop down to 1920. however i tried seeing if the jello was in the corners when the leg wasn't in the shot... so hard to tell. what do you see?

The gimbal seems to be doing its job. But it seems you are getting some crazy vibration on the Bird. Do you have chipped or broken blades? Or is one bent? Something is causing it to shake really hard and thats why it's looking that way. It could be the software, but I haven't seen in my limited searching anyone complaining of crazy shaking

RedRyderMedia said:

I don't believe this is true, I have seen comment that home is set when the motors start too - also 'probably' wrong.
Home is set when you see the second set of rapid green blinks.
Sometimes that can be immediately after the first set of rapid greens which indicate course lock, so you only see one extended blinking session!
Once they are set they are set until the power is cycled OR you trigger a revised home point manually using S2.

You can do that at a suitable safer spot a little way off, you do not need to land let alone kill motors and restart.
Where the rapid green flashes are seen will be the marked home point.
You can set it 100 feet in the air if you want.
This gives increased clearance of tall trees or other obstacles as it will go up an additional height relative to the revised home point should failsafe be engaged.

4wd said:
RedRyderMedia said:

I don't believe this is true, I have seen comment that home is set when the motors start too - also 'probably' wrong.
Home is set when you see the second set of rapid green blinks.
Sometimes that can be immediately after the first set of rapid greens which indicate course lock, so you only see one extended blinking session!
Once they are set they are set until the power is cycled OR you trigger a revised home point manually using S2.

You can do that at a suitable safer spot a little way off, you do not need to land let alone kill motors and restart.
Where the rapid green flashes are seen will be the marked home point.
You can set it 100 feet in the air if you want.
This gives increased clearance of tall trees or other obstacles as it will go up an additional height relative to the revised home point should failsafe be engaged.

I thought you were right but decided to look it up. I was wrong in my thinking. Home is marked on first throttle up. Then switching x2 back and forth 3-4 times to relock home. http://wiki.dji.com/en/index.php/Home_Lock

lightingbryan said:
Kelso Kubat said:

The gimbal seems to be doing its job. But it seems you are getting some crazy vibration on the Bird. Do you have chipped or broken blades? Or is one bent? Something is causing it to shake really hard and thats why it's looking that way. It could be the software, but I haven't seen in my limited searching anyone complaining of crazy shaking

i am flying CF props from DSLRPros.
i have tipped a couple times now on landing. there does seem to be some very fine rock chips in the end of 2 of the blades.
today i placed washers on the gimbal mount. i will go back and triple check everything is securely tightened.
ill make a video of it in the air to better determine any vibration going on. :shock:

I have a few flights with 3.04. I went from 1.08. At first I didn't notice much difference and kind of welcomed the slower descent.

Today I noticed that the speed in all directions is slowed down . . . is this a known thing? Sorry. I looked earlier to try and find a breakdown of all versions and the changes for each. I used to feather the controls so lightly to get slow movement - I did that today and I was going REALLY slow. I then pinned it in each direction and noticed that it didn't seem to go as fast. I didn't verify with flytrex or anything but I noticed it in playback.

The only thing I could think about was that I was definitely getting some interference. I wasn't too far from power lines and a cell tower. I was drifting intermittently with no controller input. I thought it was the wind at first but eventually blamed it on the cell tower and that I was shooting at a construction site where there was probably a lot of radio equipment.

Anyway - I should've probably put all this in another thread. The main reason I wanted to chime in is also a derail.
Kelso! I creeped your website and noticed the skate and snowboard videos you have up. You've got some awesome ones in there. I'm 41 and still skate. I skate with a bunch of old guys like myself, just not like we used to. I started when I was 13 and never really stopped. I love the long walkthrough inside of woodward (i noticed the phantom flying in there too).
- was that a gopro? if so, what gimbal did you use?
- if it wasn't a gopro, still, what gimbal did you use? :D

Know what? nevermind all that. I just went back to the homepage and see you've got some serious rigs going.

I started off like you, shooting/developing black and white as a freshman in h.s. Took photography and graphic design in college and worked at mtv on and off for a few years. At the time, I was more interested in traveling and skating and didn't take the reigns when I should have. Before I knew it, I got into IT because I thought it was the only way to pay the bills. Is it too late to change careers? lol

Anyway. Good stuff man. Keep it up.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic